New Townie Go 5i owner in the PNW

Whyzee

Region
USA
New member here. My name is Jerry Curl. Bought a 2022 Townie Go 5i back in August. Went to the LBS which I have done business with since 1979-80 to pick up a Townie Path 9d EQ that I had patiently been waiting for its’ arrival since March. Finally got the call that it had arrived. They had two colors, Grey and Green. Rode them both. I thought before I went out the door with my new bicycle, I should go ahead and give the Townie Go a try. It caught my eye since it had the internally geared hub (always wanted a bike with one) and had the Bosch mid-drive motor (gold standard in my opinion). Well I was really taken by how smooth and seamless the assist was!! So much so that I told the owner I would return in a few minutes as I had to go home and get more money LOL.
Left the shop with an Anthracite Go 5i. Got a good deal for cash too, 2915$ with the tax, OTD.
I have since spent another 1500$ on upgrades to get it EXACTLY the way I want it to be.

Im 57 years of age currently. Used to work at a Schwinn dealer in town right out of high school. Been into bicycles ever since then. Only other electrified bicycle I had was a basic cruiser that I put on a kit w/hub motor from Wilderness Energy? well over a decade ago. Didn’t really like it much due to the heavy SLA batteries, mounted up high, to a flimsy rear rack.

Since my Electra purchase, I have persuaded my Buddy, who lives about 450 miles away from me in Oregon, to buy a Tern Vektron Q9 (since he had been wanting a folding bike) from his LBS. He happens to be a 72 year old Vietnam Veteran. We already have two trips planned, and reservations made, this coming Summer 2022 for Northern Idaho.

I’ve lurked here for a few months and finally decided to join, as I enjoy learning from the collective knowledge of the members from around the world.

Welcome to the site. Sounds as if you have been in the hobby a while. Lithium batteries have made the electric bikes useful, now.

So far, in order to get my ebike to the state it is now:
  1. Dropped the stock (as delivered) 30t rear cog to 27t in order to increase the final drive ratio.
  2. Had my LBS update the firmware for the ActiveLine plus motor and PP400 battery.
  3. I removed the Purion display and ordered/installed the new Bosch Nyon controller w/ GPS
  4. Continental City Plus reflex tires
  5. Black Shimano platform pedals
  6. Brooks Cambium C67 saddle
  7. Brooks Cambium Ergo grips
  8. Brooks mudflap
  9. Suntour NCX Seatpost
  10. Thomson Seatpost clamp
  11. Busch and Müller Lumotec IQ-XE headlight
  12. Spurcycle bell in black
  13. Abus Nutfix locking front axle skewer
  14. Abus Bordo Granit 6500XL lock
  15. Abus extension chain to augment the frame mounted cafè lock
  16. Banjo Brothers market panniers (pair)
  17. GoPro Hero5 Black handlebar mounted
  18. Etsy 3D printed flower vase for my handlebar
  19. Etsy crow feather made of copper/brass replaced the Electra badge

Added:
20. Townie Commute front rack

Electra website says it is for 700c but of course it also fit my 26” Go without any issues

I also was thinking I was wanting to give IGH a try when I bought my Ariel Rider C class in 2020. It has the 7 speed Shimano Nexus. So far I really like that setup, and am a bit puzzled by some of the arguments against it. I find it very quick shifting with the twist shifter, and very reliable. It supposedly is not as efficient as a derailleur, but I am not sure how one detects that when riding. It's not something I notice--though admittedly I can sleep quite well even with a pea under the mattress.

In thinking about an IGH with more gears, as with the Nexus 8 or Roloff's 14 gears, I realize that I never use 1st gear, and rarely 7th gear. So with more gears, I assume the advantage is the greater choice of gears between the extremes; except I never seem to find myself wishing for additional gears between the three I most often use--3rd, 4th and 5th (2nd gear is for launching from a stop, or a very steep hill). Seems to me the advantage of a lot more gears lies in bragging rights. Okay, I like bragging rights as much as anyone else, but the older I get, the more I sense diminishing returns on the investment.

CF292EAB-53E1-4E14-B53A-AA8A4C802168.jpeg

Back