New to this - asking for help!

If you already own it, then you can make it work with enough straps. Seems like you could put the bikes in the pickup bed just as easy?

I have a Swagman XTC2, which is a two bike platform carrier. They make one where the bikes are said to fall off, but I think this model seems fairly secure. Advantage is quick loading. Lower the two clasps onto the frames and wrap the runner straps around the tires. My SUV had a 350 lb tongue weight capacity. The rack was 28 lbs, and my two bikes w/o batteries are 92 lbs. I'm now using a VW Wagon, and I dunno if the hitch will have a high enough rating.

I'm planning to use it with my car, not a truck. The seller says it will work with equally well on a car, and it's way cheaper than the car bike carriers.

@Robert_Smith I already had three hanger type carriers when I bought the Swagman, figuring that with at least $2000 worth of ebikes hanging in back, it was worth spending the money to get something more secure. So I would think a bit before going lowest cost.

I've had mixed results with Harbor Freight products, but for cost reference, they currently have a similar carrier for $49.95, if there is a local outlet where you live for a no-shipping pick up.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html
It takes a 2" hitch, and you would want to put a sheet of plywood over the frame. It just seems too big for a car to me.

@vincent Yes, I see now that thw Swagman XTC2 is rated 35 lbs per bike, but didn't notice that when I bought it. Don't most mountain bikes weigh that much? I will hope they designed it for at least 1.5X, if not 2X the rated load. When used on my SUV, I had always two straps tied to the roof rack to catch the bikes if the hitch ever broke off. I guess I should have gone for a Thule, but their e-bike version seems huge and heavy.

Huge and heavy didn't matter when I used my Honda Pilot, but now that I sold that car, I will have to rethink my transport. I still have quick release wheels on my BBS02 kit, so that can go in my Jetta wagon with my wife's bike on the Swagman.

Last edited:
unfortunately it seems only the most expensive racks are weighted for our electric bikes
my 1up costs almost as much as my cemoto bike, with accessories etc it may have cost the same .....

In regards to buying locally. I bought the wife's Shimano Steps based Ebike from local shop, has definitively paid off. Been back a few times for minor warranty issues, faulty brake pads, loose suspension seat. Going back today for issue with STEPs mid drive, squeaks under heavy load in High mode. Will see what outcomes is.

Shop owner has been good, but is getting a little annoyed at all these visits. As a local appliance store use to say "It is the putting right that counts".

Robert. Congratulations on your purchase.

Problem solved, extra power was flexing wheel slightly causing it to rub against mudguard.

Back