New to Stromer ST2

chgofirefighter

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to the ebiker world. After testing numerous other brands such as Polaris, Cross Current, Evo Cross, Haibikes, Specialized, Izip, etc etc and after doing countless research I ended purchasing the ST2. Out "ALL" the ebikes I tested the Stromer ST2 was by far the best bike IMO. I have to admit that I was never going to spend more than $2500 on an ebike, but you only live once, right?

Now I am looking for recommendations for a bike rack I have a Jeep and I also have a road bike that I will be using from time to time and lastly, I need a nice seat post suspension below the $200 price tag. and lastly, what bike lock is recommended? Currently looking at the Kryptonite New York U lock and a few other options. I live in work and Chicago and from time to time I take my bike to work, however after working 24 long hours, and getting off work at approx 7am, it's kinda hard to pedal myself home and riding 10/12 miles so that's why I decided on an ebike. I own a motorcycle but again, that's not a great option for me. My 4 door Jeep isn't the best fuel efficient vehicle either so I opted for the Stromer, plus I want to help the environment and get some exercise as well... Thanks to you all in advance~

Last edited:
Welcome to ebikes . I rented a wonderful Trek MTB FS yesterday, but no way was it like a riding an ebike ! Here ya go -

Thudbuster LT , with Brooks B-17 ( suspension )
Kuat NV ( bike rack )
Abus folding bike locks ( I double up two to reach)
Velosurance ( bike insurance)
Mini vise grip to keep St2 kickstand from folding and bike falling.
Bikebagshop.com sells bags that will snap on to your Racktime rack.
Zefal foam tire inflator for flats

Congrats on your great deal , Mine was 7 k. Glad I did, over a yr. and thousands of miles of spinnin and grinnin. So many things an St2 offers. Enjoy

Thanks David~ The Thudbuster comes in different sizes, 27.2mm, 30.9mm and 31.6mm What exactly does that mean? Sorry, bit naive about these things. Also the seat by Brooks seems to be thin, and looks uncomfy. But then again I don't know..

Last edited:
Welcome to ebikes, @chgofirefighter ! A good choice for a first bike and glad to hear that you spent time test riding. I think you'll ride a bunch of miles on that ST2. The different sizes mentioned above refer to the seatpost size, which you can find scribed into the post once you remove it from the bike. It represents the outside diameter of the post which has to match the diameter of the inside of a bike's seat tube. So a seatpost is not universal, one size fits all component but one that's a specific match to your bike. BTW, thudbusters get good marks from a lot of our riders with lower back issues.

Welcome as well, @chgofirefighter Good to have you in the group.

Re: seat post suspension, it may be the single most important product choice you make after the bike itself. So my advice is to do some research and come to your own conclusion. You'll find discussions at EBR on the main choices (e.g. here) and you'll also find some very helpful product discussions & video demos on youtube. One worth watching for the Body Float product is here as it shows the BF alongside the other choices (normal speed and slo-mo).

Along with a suspension system's absorption abilities is the question of how does it change your riding position in use. One criticism - by some - of the Thud Buster is that it displaces the seat, fore & aft, a small amount while in use. The BF does not do that, as this video demonstrates.

You bought a ST2 and don't want to spend more than $200 on the seat suspension system? You might want to reconsider that. (And yes, you can find BF's for less than $200...but still...)

Jack

Ditto on the body float. Single best upgrade that I put on my bike. I did alot of research and I am really glad I went with the BF.

Welcome to ebikes . I rented a wonderful Trek MTB FS yesterday, but no way was it like a riding an ebike ! Here ya go -

Thudbuster LT , with Brooks B-17 ( suspension )
Kuat NV ( bike rack )
Abus folding bike locks ( I double up two to reach)
Velosurance ( bike insurance)
Mini vise grip to keep St2 kickstand from folding and bike falling.
Bikebagshop.com sells bags that will snap on to your Racktime rack.
Zefal foam tire inflator for flats

Congrats on your great deal , Mine was 7 k. Glad I did, over a yr. and thousands of miles of spinnin and grinnin. So many things an St2 offers. Enjoy

Sorry for asking so many questons, the Abus folding bike lock you state you double up two each? Are you saying to purchase 2 of these locks? I'm a bit confused, lol~ Also, the Abus comes in different sizes, which one will be ideal for this type of bike? Thanks again~

Back from my ride over 100 Fahrenheit heat index. Doused head a shirt with gallon of water periodically which I carried in a net on top of my panniers. Wish I knew how to post pics. As to Abus lock info. I prefer the extra long folding one. $150 and up. Someone commented about it today when I was getting ready to leave store. When I use my Kuat NV bike rack that's when I use 2 Abus locks , one short one around rack then the other long one resting on water bottle holder around bike and locked to other Abus. If your seatpost slides down on your suspension post . Get some Graphite Paste. Comes in a small tube . Park Tools has some or any good bike shop. You don't want to know what I went through before I discovered that wonderful stuff. Worth its wt. in gold!

Back