New to Ebikes - Help Needed

Scubadog

Hi, I just joined this forum with the hopes of getting some recommendations as to which ebikes my wife and I should consider buying. There are so many choices and options I’m hoping some more experienced people can help us. Here is some background.

I am 63 years old, 6’2” tall and weigh 230 lbs. I have had one total knee replacement and am likely headed toward another in the next few years. My wife is 62 years old, 5’8” tall and weighs 140 lbs. She has had ankle surgery. We both just retired. We are very active but aging!!!

We live in NJ, but now have a travel trailer. Our goal is to take ebikes with us and use them for touring on our travels. We have owned hybrid bikes for close to 30 years. Most of our riding is on gravel type trails, e.g., rail trails, canal trails, etc. We also do some local riding on the roads near our home. We often take day trips in the fifty mile round trip range. However, now that we are getting older and have some orthopedic issues we would like to upgrade to ebikes to make pedaling easier and especially help with the uphill climbs.

From what we have researched so far, we would like bikes suited to trail and road riding, but not mountain bikes. My wife would probably prefer a step through for her. We like the idea of a bike that offers an attachment for a second battery for the extra range and security. We are leaning toward a mid drive bike but don’t know for sure. We also would like front fork suspension, at least. Our budget is in the $2500 to $3500 per bike range. We have looked at the Dost bikes and like them. Trek also seems to be a good choice, but which model? What others would you recommend.

Thanks in advance for any educated feedback you can offer.

The Trek Allant+ 7S Stagger (not the lowstep) has a dual battery option, but with the second battery would likely be too expensive. Would you consider carrying a spare battery in a pannier bag?

Dost is on my short list as well, and seems suited perfectly for your needs and budget. Great review on EBR. The second battery, if it is integrated, really narrows your choices, but if you can carry in a pannier or on a back rack, then things open up.

If you liked Dost, you could check out Zen.

It has dual battery design, and mid drive.. the difference is, Dost has Bafang motor, Zen has Bosch.

The prices might be in Canadian $, but I'm not sure.

I'd ask @Ravi Kempaiah the owner of Zen Bikes.

@Timpo

That is very kind of you to refer my name here.

I would love to help @Scubadog , but our production models won't be ready until late August or early September.
The website is still very basic and needs lots of work.

The bikes will suit them very well but given the timing, they would be better off getting Trek so they can have a great time riding this summer.

Thanks again. I hope you will consider our bikes if you are still looking for something by September this year.

@Timpo, thanks for your reply. I appreciate your honest approach. It may well be September that we decide to buy. We will certainly keep Dost in mind. Thanks.

Dost is on my short list as well, and seems suited perfectly for your needs and budget. Great review on EBR. The second battery, if it is integrated, really narrows your choices, but if you can carry in a pannier or on a back rack, then things open up.
Dost has not, to my knowledge delivered bikes to purchasers. While they look good, no one knows how the production models will work. No local support either. Most bike shops have limited capacity to support brands sold elsewhere.

I would check out the Motobecane Elite eAdventure, Elite eUrban, or even the EF3 Folding from Bikes Direct. The eAdenture and eUrban are e-hybrids; I do not know if that kind of wheel is similar to your current bikes or is narrower. If you prefer a wider tire, that is where the EF3 might be a better choice, although it does not have a suspension fork, relying only on the wider and larger volume tires to provide shock absorption. The eAdventure comes in different sizes, which is always a good thing. Some sizes are sold out, with more inventory coming later.

They all have first-name branded equipment, including the motor by Shimano. The prices are low because of no middleman and the huge buying power of Bikes Direct (they sell a heck of a lot of bikes!) Downside is that they have no dealer support. But with no off brand components and a mainstream motor, getting service or parts should be much less of a problem. No reviews but I work on bikes for a living and would be confident in buying one.

Back