New to E-Bikes --500W Vs. 750W Motors

GuyAT

HI everyone, I'm new to the E-Bike Community
I'm looking into getting a fat Tire Electric Bike. A lot of the Canadian models limit the motor size to 500 W, from what I can see the top speed is the same on the 500w and 750 bikes. My question is, what is trade off with the two class of motors?

Motor watts really don't mean that much. Generally, the 500 or 750 watts means nominal or continuous wattage but they can go much higher than that. The more important info for bike power is the controller amps x the battery voltage. So if you have a 500w rated motor but your bike has a 20amp controller paired with a 48v battery you can reach 960 watts. So if the 750w ebike has the same controller and battery, the wattage is likely to be very close to that of the 500 watts. However, if the 750w ebike had a 25 amp controller paired with the 48v battery, then you can peak at 1200 watts.

Wow... I’m new here too (referred by shop in Eugene) just reading your great explanation is really appreciated.
The shop has a 250w mid drive with big battery, but little concerned it won't pull my 70lbs chocolate lab up hills in his gettin old dog trailer.
Other option is fitting my 27.5 Giant Stance,...

With just your explanation I can see I better read..Read...Read...
THANKS

The shop has a 250w mid drive with big battery, but little concerned it won't pull my 70lbs chocolate lab up hills in his gettin old dog trailer.

THANKS

A 250 watt will easily take you and your dog up hills. What it won't do, is that task at high speed.

Knowing just that really helps more than you know.

Shop said my Giant Stance will need rear battery, so more studying.

Thanks again

I have two 2106 750w Radrovers rear hub fat tire bike since Sept/2016 with around 3800 miles between them. They are Class II ebike limited to 20 mph and it has a throttle and PAS levels 0-5. The way my Radrover works is it has a certain limited watt level per PAS level at around:
PAS 0: 0 watts
PAS 1: 75 watts
PAS 2: 175 watts
PAS 3: 375 watts
PAS 4: 550 watts
PAS 5: 750 watts

I mostly ride using PAS 2/3 at 8-12 mph for trails and PAS 3 at 15-20 mph with PAS 4 on steeper hills. Really never had a need to use PAS 5 for work or trail riding.

The full 750 watts do really come in handy when I need to use the throttle. Having full throttle power comes in handy:
- trail riding and you hit a sandy spot and the extra power can power you out
- short inclines if you just need to a touch more power to maintain your mph
- if you need to push the bike up hills or over obstacles (I even used the throttle to help push my ebike up a flight of stairs)
- getting across intersections in a hurry
- using the throttle if pedaling would hit the ground or obstacles
- helps to get going if you are starting up an incline
- less shifting required to get up to cruising speed
- can get up to your cruising speed faster using the throttle and shifting

Extra power also comes in handy because my ebike is about 75lbs with rack+gear and I'm around 275-290 lbs depending on summer and winter riding gear+commuter back pack.

Back