New Tires and Chain Needed

CptPalmer

So the roads where I am at are full of rocks etc and they have been murder on my Big Bens. I have been running tire liners which have been great on extending their use and preventing weekly flats. So I am in the market for some new tires and I want to know if anyone has tried anything else? I still want to stick with the 2.15 size or close too and I want the sleek profile as well as I have a platinum and speed is important to me. I am also about 2000 miles on my chain and I am looking to replace it as well. What is the best chain I can put on this bike. I am okay replacing it with what came on it but if I can upgrade into a better chain then I want to do so.

The best tire we have fitted on ST1 platinum for our customers is Schwalbe Marathon Mondial (26"x 2.15") ( Evolution line, not the performance line)
Although Schwalbe Marathon Plus is an excellent tire, it's limited to 26"x 2.0" and Marathon Plus MTB comes at 2.15" but it's too knobby for regular commute.

Another tire you should seriously consider is Schwalbe Big Apple Plus with 3mm greenguard. Has all the benefits of Big Ben plus puncture protection.

KMC has a specific chain for speed pedelecs. Check out the pic I attached.

KMC Ebike chain.JPG

The best tire we have fitted on ST1 platinum for our customers is Schwalbe Marathon Mondial (26"x 2.15") ( Evolution line, not the performance line)
Although Schwalbe Marathon Plus is an excellent tire, it's limited to 26"x 2.0" and Marathon Plus MTB comes at 2.15" but it's too knobby for regular commute.

Another tire you should seriously consider is Schwalbe Big Apple Plus with 3mm greenguard. Has all the benefits of Big Ben plus puncture protection.

KMC has a specific chain for speed pedelecs. Check out the pic I attached.

View attachment 2128

Thanks Lenny.. My chain started slipping last week at 2500 miles.. And the 1.75" Maxxis excels have less than 1000 miles left in them.

EDIT: Lenny I could not find the Marathon Plus with a road tread in a 2.0".. 1.75" was the largest I could find.. Do you stock that size?

Last edited:
I'm curious: is the chain replacement just preventative maintenance or is something wrong with it?

More preventive then anything, but I am pretty lazy when it come to maintaining my chain so the winter has had it fun on it for sure. I am getting only a little bit of the gear not taking the next cog in one spot on my shifting. So it may be chain stretch, I just need to buy a tool to find out for sure.

Thanks Lenny.. My chain started slipping last week at 2500 miles.. And the 1.75" Maxxis excels have less than 1000 miles left in them.

EDIT: Lenny I could not find the Marathon Plus with a road tread in a 2.0".. 1.75" was the largest I could find.. Do you stock that size?

Joe,
We have couple of Marathon Plus 2.0" (trekking tread) but not the road tread.

Back