New ST1 Elite Owner Looking for Advice

Sooke Elite

Hi Everyone,

I' ve learnt about the Stromers pretty recently, read a bunch of reviews and then tested an ST1 Platimum at a local dealer here in Victoria BC area. Absolutely loved it but found a much better deal online, went ahead and placed an order that very same day (last Saturday). The sales guy was super helpful and helped me chose the right size. I chose the Elite as it is cheaper and also I think with the hills around where I live it might be a better choice. I also upgraded the battery to 14.5 Ah. My bike, a 2015 model has been shipped today and I should have it around 11th of February.

My questions to you all are:

1) Should I have the new bike assembled, adjusted, lubricated, by the local dealer here? I was thinking if nothing else I thought it would help me build a relationship with the dealer (after all he did let me ride the bike even though he knew I would not buy it from him - I mentioned the online deal right away, didn't want to waste his time and he could not match the online deal).

2) What is the regular maintenance I should be doing, e.g. chain lube? What lube should I use?

3) I do like the city kit, but the price is pretty steep in addition to what I ' ve spent already... Maybe eventually... What are the alternatives, particularly for the fenders as it rains a lot here?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Eugene

Last edited:
I would definitely agree throwing business their way in the form of setting up the bike is a good idea if you're not too comfortable with that sort of thing yourself. Additionally, down the road if you have an issue with the bike (especially something on the electrical/battery side) they are more likely to help you out properly! Our last 3 bikes I've bought online, but if I go to the shop with a question I'm buying things for the bike as well, and if there is a job I can't do I definitely take the bike in to the same place without hesitation.

Id say learn to work on the bike yourself (teach a man to fish), understanding you can find out how to do everything out there on youtube.
I work on my own ST2 and my Stealth Bomber, if I find myself over my head with a repair THEN I would take it to a shop. I bought a spoke torque wrench to tighten the spokes on my Bomber as I had a ticking noise from them being loose. Fixed the issue myself and now have the knowledge and the tools for the future.

This is just me though. To each his own.

Agree with Cory. Make the effort to set up the bike yourself. If you have problems call the Seller or ask here. You may have to buy some tools.

After 100 miles or so ask your LBS for a complete tuneup. That will include Truing the wheels, brake adjustment etc. should cost around $100.

Suggest degreasing the chain and install a wax lube. I have a Stromer Elite and that's what I use.

Thanks JoePah. From what the online sales guy told me, the assembly should be very easy, just install the pedals, the handlebar and the seat - something like that. When i was speaking with the local dealer he told me that 'the spokes on the rear wheel with the hub need to be properly tightened due to the hub motor torque, etc'. I am not sure if it was just to scare me from buying online :). I can certainly install the pedals and the handlebar, I wouldn't want to mess with adjusting derailers / brakes though. I thought what's another $75 bucks to get it right (hopefully) from the beginning and help build relationship with the local dealer. But you are right, I could come back after 100 miles as well. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:
My ST1 Elite was delivered today! Thanks to all of you guys for advice, the assembly was pretty easy, it actually took me longer to unpack the bike. All I had to do was install the front wheel, the pedals and the handlebar, as easy as the online guy had promised it would be. Glad I got the 20" frame also. This bike is a work of art... I am very impressed and can't wait to take it for a proper ride.

Attachments

• IMG_1138s.jpg
    IMG_1138s.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 353
Hey guys so I took my new ST1 Elite bike for a ride today around town and on some serious hills, it was super fun and I 've even hit 55km/h going downhill and pedalling. But here is what I noticed: when I 'd pick up speed and stop pedalling there was this noise coming from the rear hub as if there are bearings inside which have no lubrication. I guess it could be normal, because it is an electric motor/ generator. Is this normal or not? Please let me know.
Another thing is at one point my chain came off, perhaps I hit a bump... I've put it back on, no problems. I guess there is a way to adjust the tension, pardon my ignorance on this subject. I would appreciate advice on this.

Hey guys so I took my bike for a ride today around town and on some serious hills, it was super fun and I 've even hit 55km/h going downhill and pedalling. But here is what I noticed: when I 'd pick up speed and stop pedalling there's this noise coming from the rear hub as if there are bearings inside which have no lubrication. Is this normal or not? Please let me know.
Another thing is at one point my chain came off, perhaps I hit a bump... I guess there is a way to adjust the tension, pardon my ignorance on this subject. I would appreciate advice on this.
Not a Stromer, but on a DD 500w hub I have, I had a harmonic vibration (sound) that only happened at certain speeds and usually up an incline. There are hex head machine screws (5 or 6 each side) on most DD hubs and using a torque wrench, I tightened each to 4 NM, in a star pattern like you would with lug nuts on a car wheel. That solved the harmonic noise. I just check those machine screws monthly. Can't say that's your problem, but I do know others that have had this same issue on a variety of brands.

Good luck!

I think you're going way too fast on your Stromer! Just keep it under 45 kmh.. My Stromer is quiet at all speeds, after 3500 miles... When you start pushing the speed and hit bumps chains come off and you're spinning that motor faster than it was intended.

Have fun!

I think you're going way too fast on your Stromer! Just keep it under 45 kmh.. My Stromer is quiet at all speeds, after 3500 miles... When you start pushing the speed and hit bumps chains come off and you're spinning that motor faster than it was intended.

Have fun!
Thanks, JoePah. Well I wasn't going 55km/h all the time - only when I was going downhill for like a minute tops, but the noise is there at lower speeds when I stop pedalling.

Not a Stromer, but on a DD 500w hub I have, I had a harmonic vibration (sound) that only happened at certain speeds and usually up an incline. There are hex head machine screws (5 or 6 each side) on most DD hubs and using a torque wrench, I tightened each to 4 NM, in a star pattern like you would with lug nuts on a car wheel. That solved the harmonic noise. I just check those machine screws monthly. Can't say that's your problem, but I do know others that have had this same issue on a variety of brands.

Good luck!
Thanks J. R. I will look into that.

Could it be the normal sound of the hub cluster freewheeling making a rapid clicking sound when pedaling is stopped ?

Could it be the normal sound of the hub cluster freewheeling making a rapid clicking sound when pedaling is stopped ?
I've listened to it again, not a clicking noise, more like a bit of a grinding noise. I want to believe that it is 'normal', some kind of break-in or maybe the noise is coming from the hub motor itself, but I emailed the dealer with the question, will see what they say. Maybe I am overthinking it...I suffer with perfectionism... :)

It's been a while, but I finally got my bike fixed under warranty. Turns out that the freewheel was faulty and needed to be replaced, I finally got it done yesterday. Hopefully this issue is resolved for good now. If anyone has similar issues, here is the link to the video recording the noise the freewheel used to make when coasting before replacement, watch/ listen 35 second to 55 and on:

Last edited:
Back