New Specialized Turbo Owner

laselvasurf

Region
USA
Hello from Santa Cruz CA! I just purchased my first e-bike and found this forums when searching for additional information. I'm a long time cyclist and triathlete and have a few road and mountain bikes that I put a few thousand miles a year on. I love to ride, which is why I've been trying to commute on pedal power for many years. I have commuted on a very heavy bike with bags. It's honestly just not fun to ride as it's slow up the hills and non-responsive compared to my other bikes. I recently did a video shoot for Specialized and was given a Levo to use getting around locations as it was a mt. bike video filmed in a fairly remote area. As a long time cyclist I've had a "thing" about e-bikes... But after spending a few days on the Levo my perspective completely changed. I have since been on the hunt for an affordable e-bike I can use to make my commute more enjoyable and faster.

I found a 2015 Specialized Turbo locally with 200 miles for $1200 and pulled the trigger. It has the SBC-B03 battery and SBC-M02 motor and rides quite nicely. Though I haven't had a chance to do a longer ride on it, I can't seem to get it go assist me when going faster than 16-17mph. I've been researching and am trying to figure out if the bike is locked the the "pedelec" vs "s-pedelec" mode. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what mode it's in? I'm riding a fully charged battery in turbo mode and the assist feels very strong all the way up to 16-17mph, when it drops off almost entirely. I'd really like to be able to cruise at 20+mph on the Turbo with a bag as I can maintain right around 20mph on my roubaix or tarmac on the route to my office.

I'm also a major DIY kind of guy so I've been enjoying seeing all the more custom builds that everyone has on here. I'm not ready to move to that yet, but depending on how the Turbo ends up performing, I'll likely be doing something custom soon.

It is certainly locked at 25 km/h or 15.5 mph (+10%).
Just visit a Specialized dealer and ask to inspect your Turbo and set the American Class 1 speed limit (20 mph).

It is certainly locked at 25 km/h or 15.5 mph (+10%).
Just visit a Specialized dealer and ask to inspect your Turbo and set the American Class 1 speed limit (20 mph).
Thank you! I'll take it to my local specialized shop and have them check it out. Do you think the bike will be capable of being assisted at speeds faster than 20mph? The manual mentions 28mph a few times, but I'm not sure this motor/battery combo is capable of that.

Thank you! I'll take it to my local specialized shop and have them check it out. Do you think the bike will be capable of being assisted at speeds faster than 20mph? The manual mentions 28mph a few times, but I'm not sure this motor/battery combo is capable of that.
If your Turbo is applicable for Class 3 then it will be set for the limit of 28 mph. If you can achieve it is another thing. Hitting 28 mph requires either full assistance and hard pedalling, or strong head tailwind or slight decline. It holds true for more current Specialized Class 3 e-bikes, too.

Check out the BLEvo app. If your bike works with the mission control app, it should work with this app. I'm sure your bike is out of warranty so.......derestrict away.

Check out the BLEvo app. If your bike works with the mission control app, it should work with this app. I'm sure your bike is out of warranty so.......derestrict away.
BLEvo won't work with the 2015 Turbo.

Yes and no, it won't work with the battery he has but it most certainly will work with the SBC-B05 battery. I have a 2014 model Turbo with the B05 and am using BLEVo.
Fun fact: When I got my 2017 Vado 5.0 (of course, it was not the older Turbo model), it didn't work with BLEvo (and it started working only after the 2020 overhaul to TCD-w). I'm very surprised the older Turbo e-bikes sported BLE technology!

Fun fact: When I got my 2017 Vado 5.0 (of course, it was not the older Turbo model), it didn't work with BLEvo (and it started working only after the 2020 overhaul to TCD-w). I'm very surprised the older Turbo e-bikes sported BLE technology!
Well technically the bike itself doesn't, it only works with the bluetooth battery which is over $1,000 now.

OK, jbike01 but what information are you getting from the battery with BLEvo? The battery stats?

Back