New Specialized Roll Sport and BBSO2.

Gave it a rim job today. Very reflective stuff! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XWK94T8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rimjob.jpg

Great bike conversion!

My wife and I both have Specialized Roll Sports purchased this spring. Great bikes.I have a Moto Orange medium similar to yours. Here is the Small step thru in the Turquoise Blue color

I've been riding my Raleigh Redux IE Electric and am getting spoiled. Now thinking about converting both of our Rolls.

I see the BBS02 kit on Luna Cycles. It doesn't seem to come with a battery. Are you happy with it? Also, which crank size and controllers did you go with the DPC-18? Full twist throttle (not sure what the difference between those is)? Happy with them as well?

Anything you would change/do different now that you've been riding it a while.

Thanks for the pictures, knowledge and inspiration! - Shawn in Denver

Great bike conversion!

My wife and I both have Specialized Roll Sports purchased this spring. Great bikes.I have a Moto Orange medium similar to yours. Here is the Small step thru in the Turquoise Blue color

I've been riding my Raleigh Redux IE Electric and am getting spoiled. Now thinking about converting both of our Rolls.

I see the BBS02 kit on Luna Cycles. It doesn't seem to come with a battery. Are you happy with it? Also, which crank size and controllers did you go with the DPC-18? Full twist throttle (not sure what the difference between those is)? Happy with them as well?

Anything you would change/do different now that you've been riding it a while.

Thanks for the pictures, knowledge and inspiration! - Shawn in Denver
The battery is a 48 volt 11.2 ah that ships with a Rad Power Rover. I bought a new mounting rack that matches the battery. It gives me a 40 mile range. I used a 750 display, the controller is integral to the bbs02. I went with the lever type throttle so I did not have to change grips. I hardly use it. Its downfall is bumping it unintentionally when not moving.

Go for it, you’ll not be disappointed! Have the LBS take apart the bottom bracket. IIRC, standard crank size, forget the tooth count.

Check out Luna Cycle, they'll have kits to do exactly what you are looking for. Its quite straight forward and only requires 2 or 3 basic bike tools to complete.

I like the Como 2, but its about 3 times the cost of a Roll Sport plus a BBSO2/HD kit.. One thing I would recommend is but the lower end or mid range Specialized Roll; the one with gearing only on the rear wheel. Makes things easier and you won't be using the mid gearing anyways.

RostHaus, I came across your post and was hoping you could clarify something. Are you suggesting that we go for the lower/mid level Rolls that have both front and rear derailleurs, or go for the upper level Rolls (e.g., Roll comp) that only has a rear derailleur? The upper level Rolls are a few hundred dollars more, but I thought it may be easier to configure the upper level models with a BBSO2/HD since you don't have to worry about getting rid of the front chainrings/derailleur/shifter.

Thanks,

You will be removing the front derailleur and the shifter. If you want electric cutouts, the kit comes with new brake levers that have the switches built in, making the Roll with mechanical disc brakes a better choice. You will only be using the left/front brake for a cutout however, the right brake has the shifter built into it. I swapped out the front mechanical for a hydraulic unit, and added my own cutout switch. For the rear, I used a Spyke caliper, and it is at least as good as the hydraulic unit, HIGHLY recommended.

Anyway, removing the front derailleur and associated shifter is fairly trivial, so buy the one that fits your option list and price point.

Pretty dang happy with the final product!
All in for about $1500 if I had to buy everything again. 48 volt dolphin pack, and the new full color display/ BBSO2 from Luna.
View attachment 16808 View attachment 16809

View attachment 17083 Added fenders, and a stem extender to raise the handlebars, and an axiom rack since this picture. Now have over 300 miles on it, and am totally loving this thing. Perfect ebike for me so far. So far about 15 to 20% more efficient than the Rover, which I hope to sell now.
View attachment 17083 Added fenders, and a stem extender to raise the handlebars, and an axiom rack since this picture. Now have over 300 miles on it, and am totally loving this thing. Perfect ebike for me so far. So far about 15 to 20% more efficient than the Rover, which I hope to sell now.
Hi, I have a roll elite as well which im looking to convert over. I had a couple questions: How is the bike holding up if you still have it and What fenders did you use?

Back