New Specialized Roll Sport and BBSO2.

Lost

Pretty dang happy with the final product!
All in for about $1500 if I had to buy everything again. 48 volt dolphin pack, and the new full color display/ BBSO2 from Luna.
orange1_edited-1.jpg
orange3.jpg

@Lost,
A great looking professional conversion which is nice and neat
Just curious as to how did you mounted the battery to the down tube
It doesn't appear as if you utilised the existing water cage bosses

@Lost,
A great looking professional conversion which is nice and neat
Just curious as to how did you mounted the battery to the down tube
It doesn't appear as if you utilised the existing water cage bosses
I did indeed use the water cage bosses on the down tube. They were exactly where they needed to be. Rode another 50 miles. LOVE this thing!

orange ptd_edited-1.jpg
Added fenders, and a stem extender to raise the handlebars, and an axiom rack since this picture. Now have over 300 miles on it, and am totally loving this thing. Perfect ebike for me so far. So far about 15 to 20% more efficient than the Rover, which I hope to sell now.

Nice looking bike! I originally wanted to electrify a Roll Sport, but I couldn't find any good deals on them. Ended up BBS02ing My 8 year old Trek Pure Sport and a new Raleigh Venture 4.0

Nice looking bike! I originally wanted to electrify a Roll Sport, but I couldn't find any good deals on them. Ended up BBS02ing My 8 year old Trek Pure Sport and a new Raleigh Venture 4.0
Thanks. It is a great bike, I like it much more than my Rad Rover. More "bike like".

Wow, I'm very impressed!

I'm new to the forum and have been wanting an ebike for a while now so my rides can be longer and with less strain on my body.

Just returned from a week in Florida where I rented a Specialized Roll and was very impressed with it, so I did a search for an ebike conversion for that bike and found your post.

Can you please provide a list of your parts and where you got them? Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure I have the guts to pull the trigger, but this mod would be perfect for me. If I buy factory built, I'm leaning heavily towards the Specialized Como 2, which is basically an electrified Roll Sport.

I've not done any bike mods, or even maintenance, but I have high mechanical aptitude. I'm a machinists and had my own shop for 18 years before selling out. I now manage a shop for a former customer.

Any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wow, I'm very impressed!

I'm new to the forum and have been wanting an ebike for a while now so my rides can be longer and with less strain on my body.

Just returned from a week in Florida where I rented a Specialized Roll and was very impressed with it, so I did a search for an ebike conversion for that bike and found your post.

Can you please provide a list of your parts and where you got them? Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure I have the guts to pull the trigger, but this mod would be perfect for me. If I buy factory built, I'm leaning heavily towards the Specialized Como 2, which is basically an electrified Roll Sport.

I've not done any bike mods, or even maintenance, but I have high mechanical aptitude. I'm a machinists and had my own shop for 18 years before selling out. I now manage a shop for a former customer.

Check out Luna Cycle, they'll have kits to do exactly what you are looking for. Its quite straight forward and only requires 2 or 3 basic bike tools to complete.

I like the Como 2, but its about 3 times the cost of a Roll Sport plus a BBSO2/HD kit.. One thing I would recommend is but the lower end or mid range Specialized Roll; the one with gearing only on the rear wheel. Makes things easier and you won't be using the mid gearing anyways.

Wow, I'm very impressed!

Yep, one order from luna had everything I needed. I already had an extra battery so I just got their bbs02 kit and stuck it on. To make things easy, I told the LBS that I will buy the bike if they took the bottom bracket apart for me. After the weird look, it was all done. I love this bike, it is. a great, trouble free conversion. I’ve since added hydraulic 203mm brakes on the front and a spyke rear caliper, which I like even more than the hydraulic front setup.

Great info. I've been on the Luna site and the BBS02 is on sale for $400, I'm assuming that's a good deal?

What chain ring do you recommend?

What is IIRC? Ha, I got it now. Had to look that one up. :)

Leaning heavily toward doing this vs buying new ebike. Thanks for the info on Luna, great resource.

Last edited:
What is IIRC? Ha, I got it now. Had to look that one up. :)

Leaning heavily toward doing this vs buying new ebike. Thanks for the info on Luna, great resource.
You won't be disappointed. For the same money, you will have a superior product.

I'm doing it, just doing my homework first. Do you have a gear sensor? Also, where are the best install instructions found for the build? Thanks!

Nope. no gear sensor. Not needed if you stay smart about operating the bike. Just remember to not shift under load, and if you let anyone else ride it, make sure they are educated on it too.
As for instructions, just used the youtube videos out there.
When I bought the bike, I had the LBS take apart the bottom bracket for me so it was ready to rock when I brought it home.
Also, the luna special wrench was handy for torquing the BB nut on the BBS02.

Good for you! I'm a fair weather biker, but I admire those that brave the elements. I'm in Minnesota and there are some here that ride through the winter. Fat tire bikes are popular here.

Obvious question, I don't want the throttle on my bike because you can't ride on bike trails. I'm assuming I can just leave it off when I build, correct?

I only want assisted power while peddling and not an electric motorcycle. In my
research today I learned that the system will not be torque sensing and now
I'm wondering if this is what I want to do.

I want the motor to apply more power when needed depending on conditions
faced. Of course I will shift gears as needed, but I want a system that
offers a natural feel, like a real bike, only with a boost.

The stock bikes I have ridden have behaved exactly like I want. They have
been built on the Shimano Steps, or Bosh system, but prices are high and
when the battery needs replacement you almost need a loan to afford the
high cost!

Is there a way to build what I want, or do I have to buy a stock bike to
get it?

Back