New Serial 1 RUSH/CTY Speed

Sun came out today and we took a quick 20 mile ride. Still amazes me how quiet and smooth shifting the Rush Speed is. Saying shifting is somewhat of a misnomer as it is a Constant Variable Transmission CVT and so the gear ratio changes with the planetary gears are seemless. Smooth like butta ... :)

The Mosh City does not come in the "Speed" config and has a top assist speed of 20mph. The Rush/Cty Speed is the only Serial 1 ebike that can achieve 28mhp with motor assist. Over 28mph, you're on your own. :)
Thank you for the correction- I edited to avoid confusion to others me included

Ok need help… I have the rush city speed, and I’ve paired with the APP and played around with both the handlebar controller and APP settings but I can’t get this bike over 25 mph - feels like when I hit 21 plus mph I’m pedaling my arse off at well over 100 rpm. I’ve tried setting my cadence up and down and it’s in automatic and set for 9 gears. My normal cadence is 72ish
When I first set the Serial 1 up, I bumped the power settings 5% for the ECO, Tour and Sport mode (Boost is 100%) via the settings menu on the bike controller and have never used the Inviolo app. Since that initial settings session, I haven't made any further adjustments. I did no cadence adjustments as those can only be done through the app. I am good (actually great) with this setup and the ride is smooth and power application at all speeds is seamless regardless of hills or flat riding.

For perspective, my regular (3-4 times/week) 50 mile rides on my other bike which is a Riese & Muller Delite GX that has a great ride control phone app paired with it's Kiox controller. My average cadence is about 80 rpm, max cadence slightly over 100 and average speed for the 50 miles is usually 18-19 mph with approx 3200 ft of elevation gain.

On the Serial 1 my rides are usually shorter (30-40 miles) at a more leisurely pace but on a similar course. I can get the Rush Speed to 28+ but only by using Boost mode and pedaling in the 90's. I feel the base settings are good for the less aggressive riding I do on the Serial 1. My usual ride is 75% Tour Mode, 25% Sport and on the flats, Sport mode gets me to 25mph without killing myself and Turbo will do the max assist 28 mph with the same effort.

I've noticed that most people who have issues with the Serial 1 have been "tweakers" and by that I mean they immediately got the Inviolo app and started making changes. I suspect that they did not have much of a baseline of info nor a clear goal for what they wanted to accomplish with the app changes.

I guess my advice would be to do a factory reset (I think that is possible) and then ride the bike for 100 miles or so to determine what needs changing. Then, any changes made systematically, one at a time, would allow you to see what actually works.

Last edited:
I found i needed to make sure i applied all firmware updates and then calibrate through the app. Once that was done, I set my cadence to 65/sport. I don't think because this is pedal assist, that you can just cruise along with little to no effort and hit 28 MPH, i could be wrong. I have hit 28 MPH by hauling ass and riding my bike daily, building up my leg strength and it was easier to hit those speeds on flat ground. Honestly, i too busy riding and looking around having fun to worry about what my speed is.

The Serial 1 is my more laid back rider that I use mostly when riding with my wife. It will do 28mph on the flats but that does require Boost assist and some effort on my part. My regular 50 mile rides on my R&M bike have built up my leg strength and endurance but being 70, it takes a lot more effort than it used to. I had several class 3 throttle equipped ebikes and found the throttle just a bit too easy. Although the point of my riding is mostly fitness, the majority of my rides are on bike trails that run along a near by river/lake and I always enjoy the surroundings but I like a brisk pace so ...

Ok need help… I have the rush city speed, and I’ve paired with the APP and played around with both the handlebar controller and APP settings but I can’t get this bike over 25 mph - feels like when I hit 21 plus mph I’m pedaling my arse off at well over 100 rpm. I’ve tried setting my cadence up and down and it’s in automatic and set for 9 gears. My normal cadence is 72ish
Sorry to see you are selling your Serial 1. Bummer the bike is too big, the sizing is important. I'm tall with long legs so I needed the XL. SInce I was able to test ride the Serial 1, I knew I could adjust the seatpost way up for best riding geometry. Of course, down has limitations and adding the suspension seatpost itself adds a couple of inches to the seat height. Worked out well for me and it accommodates my unusually large frame better than any other bike (e or otherwise) I've owned.

Up to over 1000 miles and still loving my Rush Speed.

I posted this in another Thread but it bears repeating:

Just got off the phone with Serial 1 Tech Support. The new Serial 1 App that I received an email notification on this morning is lacking any/all the features I hoped to have in my late 2021 Model Rush City Speed. For 2021 purchasers all this App will give you is a google maps feature and already exists on your phone e.g. nothing useful.

You can download the app now, but it will not report any ride data on non-2022 model Serial 1 bikes. This is hugely disappointing and I hope all of you Serial 1 owners let them know how problematic this type of short sighted product development is and blaming the issue on Brose is not an appropriate answer.

This is my first negative experience with Serial 1 but it is a very BIG negative.

Just went on the Serial 1 website and forum. You still can’t buy a spare battery. Talk about being short sighted. Supposedly ……according to Harley……..maybe in September. This behavior is not only typical of Harley, but also of Brose. Spare parts, and any info about their motors and batteries are basically non existent. Forget about self diagnosing a problem. They even keep dealers in the dark about how things work. Brose just thinks it’s convenient to ship stuff back to Germany for repair.

Yeah - bummer its not enabled but it honestly is something that can be handled in other ways. I have phone attachments that can hold up my phone and other apps I use. I look at it that they are coming out with new models, it doesn't reduce the amount of joy and fun I have from my ebikes. It does stink they haven't leverage their dealer network and their accessories and spare parts are lacking. I love a lot of the bike and will look for something similar for my next purchases. I don't exactly love the new colorways either. I don't have FOMO for the app either.

Just went on the Serial 1 website and forum. You still can’t buy a spare battery. Talk about being short sighted. Supposedly ……according to Harley……..maybe in September. This behavior is not only typical of Harley, but also of Brose. Spare parts, and any info about their motors and batteries are basically non existent. Forget about self diagnosing a problem. They even keep dealers in the dark about how things work. Brose just thinks it’s convenient to ship stuff back to Germany for repair.
Unfortunately, Brose isn't the only company that operates that way. Bosch and Rohloff have similar modus operandi. Humm, what do they all have in common?

Love the Ford V Ferrari movie line when Ken Miles (played by Christian Bale) was told by Carroll Shelby (played by Matt Damon) that the Porsche racing teams heard he was "difficult to work with" said, "funny, I always felt that way about Germans" ... :cool:

Those are the power levels on the eco/tour/speed/boost settings. It is in the settings menu. Serial 1 has a youtube video that goes over the display and how to get into it.

I posted this in another Thread but it bears repeating:

Just got off the phone with Serial 1 Tech Support. The new Serial 1 App that I received an email notification on this morning is lacking any/all the features I hoped to have in my late 2021 Model Rush City Speed. For 2021 purchasers all this App will give you is a google maps feature and already exists on your phone e.g. nothing useful.

You can download the app now, but it will not report any ride data on non-2022 model Serial 1 bikes. This is hugely disappointing and I hope all of you Serial 1 owners let them know how problematic this type of short sighted product development is and blaming the issue on Brose is not an appropriate answer.

This is my first negative experience with Serial 1 but it is a very BIG negative.
I have a new M2 Rush/Cty Speed and the app does provide ride data. However, previously I was using other apps and they were providing great data as well. Hopefully HD will have an upgrade path to connectivity with M1 bikes but it seems to me that many other apps provide great data as well.

I have a new M2 Rush/Cty Speed and the app does provide ride data. However, previously I was using other apps and they were providing great data as well. Hopefully HD will have an upgrade path to connectivity with M1 bikes but it seems to me that many other apps provide great data as well.
Thanks for the perspective ... Serial 1 seems to be sticking to this no upgrade position for the Gen 1 bikes. I have an Riese & Muller with a good ride control app by Bosch and the R&M is my prefered distance/speed bike so the Serial 1 is relegated to more casual rides with my wife. I suppose I could get a Garmin but capturing the ride data directly from the bikes controller would seem to add value. In any case, I like the Serial 1 and having 2 bikes is nice.

Has anyone put flatout/slime sealant in their tires? I was trying to remove the valve core and its not coming out. I don't know if the valve is cross threaded or there is some other issue. I used a lot of pressure but the valve would not budge, it almost looked like it was permanently fixed, any ideas?

Has anyone put flatout/slime sealant in their tires? I was trying to remove the valve core and its not coming out. I don't know if the valve is cross threaded or there is some other issue. I used a lot of pressure but the valve would not budge, it almost looked like it was permanently fixed, any ideas?
They use Presta valves and so it's both harder and a very messy process to inject the sealant into the tube. Try Tannus inserts instead. They should give you all the flat protection you need and, you can short ride them home if you do get a flat.

Back