*NEW Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB Tires

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
I've owned Marathons and used them on a 26" MTB, but the HS 420 and 440 have a little too fast a tread for even the smoothest, well kept trail. I continued to use the Marathons nevertheless, they were fast rolling, have great flat protection, sticky on paved areas and seem to last forever. But why won't Schwalbe make a better MTB tire?!

When I got the 29'er a year ago I wanted to keep a more aggressive tread for real mountain biking, so I kept the OEM Schwalbe's on. Now I'm about ready for some new rubber, so I signed in to Schwalbe North America to see what I was going to have to compromise on, and low and behold, there's something new! Marathon Plus with a real MTB tread, Smart Guard (Blue) and a high speed rating! No compromise. Available in 26, 27.5 and 29 inch sizes. It may not be the most aggressive MTB tire, but I'm not the most aggressive MTB rider. I'm a happy mountain biker!

upload_2016-9-20_0-8-40.png

Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB HS 468

Available: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb

Schwalbe has listed a number of new tires, so if you haven't found what you want, you may not have checked Schwalbe lately! Check them out: http://www.schwalbetires.com/

For street use only the Super Moto X is a fabulous tire. Much thicker and stiffer tread than normal bicycle tire and really HD for speed use.

A friend informed me these tires are significantly less expensive from Chain Reaction Cycles, UK. Shipping to the US is fast and cheap! Unfortunately my tires were shipped within the hour of ordering, so it's too late for me, but save yourself and check Chain Reaction for tires...or tyres.

Schwalbes are even cheaper on the German web stores, almost half the price as retail in the US. You have to plan ahead though, since it takes about a month to ship and clear customs.

Europe has had the new styles longer than North America. Schwalbe NA has a yearly sale, first 2 weeks in July and none of the new styles were listed at that time. They must time the release of the new styles to hit the respective markets prior to the big shows, Eurobike and Interbike. Schwalbe added a lot of new tires, including semi-fat and full-fat. One of the more interesting tires I hadn't seen before, they nicknamed the 'Son of a Beach'.

I ordered the new tires last Tuesday, so of course I got a rear flat on Wednesday evening, that I noticed on Thursday morning. I fixed the flat on Thursday evening and par for this course I received the new tires on Friday (way ahead of est.). So, Saturday I replaced both tires! Today I washed the car... because we need the rain!

The Marathon Plus MTB's don't disappoint. I went on a 40 mile ride Saturday afternoon and they roll fast and easy on pavement and packed trails, they also do very well on loose gravel, limestone and dirt. The tires have a continuous center lug that rolls so much faster and quieter than the Schwalbe Rapid Rob's I replaced, yet the outer lugs do very well on gravel and dirt. I fully expect fewer flats with these, I never had one flat with my other Marathon's.

I googled Marathon Plus Mountain in the spring and came up with Chain Reaction as just about the only supplier. I never ran anything else on the bike, so can't compare. These MB Marathons are easy to get through my heavy gravel driveway and they are fun on dirt trails, which I rarely find.

Seems like right now Amazon is at $65 (third party seller) and Chain Reaction is at $32. I would like to swap the street tires for mountain bike tires on my Bikes Direct Elite with a front Mac. The MB tires are listed at 30# which might soften the ride. I have a Trek 820 with a rear Magic Pie, and the ride is very decent over the roughest roads. The Trek has a very basic front suspension but like the guy at the bike shop said, something can be a lot better than nothing for standard road bumps, if not off road.

(Edit: Chain Reaction was the source)

Last edited:
I ordered the new tires last Tuesday, so of course I got a rear flat on Wednesday evening, that I noticed on Thursday morning. I fixed the flat on Thursday evening and par for this course I received the new tires on Friday (way ahead of est.). So, Saturday I replaced both tires! Today I washed the car... because we need the rain!

The Marathon Plus MTB's don't disappoint. I went on a 40 mile ride Saturday afternoon and they roll fast and easy on pavement and packed trails, they also do very well on loose gravel, limestone and dirt. The tires have a continuous center lug that rolls so much faster and quieter than the Schwalbe Rapid Rob's I replaced, yet the outer lugs do very well on gravel and dirt. I fully expect fewer flats with these, I never had one flat with my other Marathon's.
JR- did you put those tires on the CCX, and if so,did you have to take the fenders off?

I've owned Marathons and used them on a 26" MTB, but the HS 420 and 440 have a little too fast a tread for even the smoothest, well kept trail. I continued to use the Marathons nevertheless, they were fast rolling, have great flat protection, sticky on paved areas and seem to last forever. But why won't Schwalbe make a better MTB tire?!

When I got the 29'er a year ago I wanted to keep a more aggressive tread for real mountain biking, so I kept the OEM Schwalbe's on. Now I'm about ready for some new rubber, so I signed in to Schwalbe North America to see what I was going to have to compromise on, and low and behold, there's something new! Marathon Plus with a real MTB tread, Smart Guard (Blue) and a high speed rating! No compromise. Available in 26, 27.5 and 29 inch sizes. It may not be the most aggressive MTB tire, but I'm not the most aggressive MTB rider. I'm a happy mountain biker!

View attachment 10382
Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB HS 468

Available: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb

Schwalbe has listed a number of new tires, so if you haven't found what you want, you may not have checked Schwalbe lately! Check them out: http://www.schwalbetires.com/

I put the Marathon HS468 MTB's on all three of my ebikes. As you've discovered, they are terrific! They bite when they need to and roll very well on smooth surfaces. I read reviews that said they are rougher riding tires. So far, I've noticed only a slight difference which was easily overcome by reducing the pressure a bit.

I initially chose them for their semi aggressive tread and superior flat resistance. After almost 250 miles, I'm very happy with them!

JR- did you put those tires on the CCX, and if so,did you have to take the fenders off?
Im also interested in the outcome. Specifically if the 29x2.1s fit on the rear of the CCX.
I have those mounted on a BH 29er eMTB. I'm not sure how they'll fit on a hybrid frame with fenders. If it helped I could measure a fully inflated tire with caliper.

I put the Marathon HS468 MTB's on all three of my ebikes. As you've discovered, they are terrific! They bite when they need to and roll very well on smooth surfaces. I read reviews that said they are rougher riding tires. So far, I've noticed only a slight difference which was easily overcome by reducing the pressure a bit.

I initially chose them for their semi aggressive tread and superior flat resistance. After almost 250 miles, I'm very happy with them!
Great tires. No punctures in a couple years. All of the Marathon + I've ridden are slightly rougher ride; considered 'hard case' tires, but worth it for the flat protection.

I have those mounted on a BH 29er eMTB. I'm not sure how they'll fit on a hybrid frame with fenders. If it helped I could measure a fully inflated tire with caliper.

Great tires. No punctures in a couple years. All of the Marathon + I've ridden are slightly rougher ride; considered 'hard case' tires, but worth it for the flat protection.
JR- thanks for the offer of a measurement,but I think I’m going to keep an eye out on the Juiced forum to see what others have actually mounted.Happy riding!

wow this is a nice discovery. i was debating what tires to use next winter for my haibike. since it has 35mm rims i was limited to choice. historically i ride on cx-pros on my traditional bike but they don't make them that big. Continental has some winter specific bike tires rated at e-50 but they only have a 50-584 which is too narrow for the rims on the bike. I think the marathon mtb 57-584s might be the perfect solution.

i just noticed that on the site you linked above the tire is rated e25. On the international site, it is rated e50. Hope the latter is the more available one.

Last edited:
I placed my order through Amazon for two HS 468 noted above. Saved about $10 and free shipping. I'll update this thread once I get them.

Ehh, you have to ride the bike to test them, just so you know. *hint hint* I fully expect to see you on the trails this weekend. If not, I guess I'm gonna volunteer to put some miles on your 9'er just so it doesn't feel left out. ;)

Ehh, you have to ride the bike to test them, just so you know. *hint hint* I fully expect to see you on the trails this weekend. If not, I guess I'm gonna volunteer to put some miles on your 9'er just so it doesn't feel left out. ;)
I can't express how sorry I am that you had to go antiquing last Saturday when we hit the trail. I'm very sorry, WT! Are you sure 'antiquing' is a verb?

Hey J.R- Are these tubeless ready and are you running these on your BH-EMTB that way?

Hey J.R- Are these tubeless ready and are you running these on your BH-EMTB that way?
I've never run tubeless on any bike. With Marathons I don't get many flats, so I wouldn't benefit from converting. The only regular tire maintenance I have is rotating and having tubeless would add maintenance for me.

I've never run tubeless on any bike. With Marathons I don't get many flats, so I wouldn't benefit from converting. The only regular tire maintenance I have is rotating and having tubeless would add maintenance for me.

Ahh okay, makes sense. Was not sure if that would be a worth while added benefit. I now have the stock Schwalbe Nobby Nics that have tubes in them. They are the 'HS 463 SnakeSkin, TL Easy Apex' with a fairly good protection rating, so I do not believe I would not need to go tubeless also.

Back