New Radrunner owneron,

When the battery is charged and not locked out the lights on battery light up when I push the switch. When the battery is not working or locked out the lights do nothing.
The built in LEDs on the battery only give you a useful reading when the battery key is in the ON position. For any other key position they give you a reading of a moment of residual voltage and then nothing after that. BTW, I frequently forget to turn the battery key OFF before charging. No problems in a 100+ charges.

From your various posts above, it kind of sounds like you have a damaged battery or BMS*. If the bike was dropped or banged around too much in shipping that could happen. You've already mentioned removing and remounting the battery, so that rules out loose contact with the rack socket. I'm guessing there's broken or intermittent contacts of some or most cell packs with the main cell bus within the case. It sounds like you're riding on a fraction of the full complement of packs.

The intermittent charging behavior is the biggest tell to me, it suggests there's an internal battery connection that is making contact or releasing depending on heat expansion. The charger getting warm is no big deal; it can normally get warm enough that it is uncomfortable to hold in your hand.

*BMS: Battery Management System, the circuit card within the battery case that manages your cell packs for you, mostly to keep you from damaging them with excessive use scenarios. None of the riding you've described is an excessive use scenario

When I begin my ride I have al five lights. Today the bike completed all 7 miles of the ride. The charger went red red right away. We will see what tomorrow brings. Yesterday I watched the charger on off all day, the lights went red red two times. I think the charger is 2 amp. I’m right in thinking that I’m getting 2 amp hours out of 14 amp hour battery? Don
PS. I have all five lights the whole ride.

When I begin my ride I have al five lights. Today the bike completed all 7 miles of the ride. The charger went red red right away. We will see what tomorrow brings. Yesterday I watched the charger on off all day, the lights went red red two times. I think the charger is 2 amp. I’m right in thinking that I’m getting 2 amp hours out of 14 amp hour battery? Don
PS. I have all five lights the whole ride.
2A rating is just a charging "speed" measure. It should charge 14Ah or higher capacity batteries with no issue.

The bike almost made 7 miles today, before cutting out, the charger did not red red When I plugged it in. My wife and I are going to a Pedago bike store Monday to shop for a Ebike she can ride. I’ll see what they think about my problem. Thanks and thanks again for everyones help.
PS. I watched closely the 5 battery lights, and 5th was out for the last 2 blocks or so.

Definitely seems like a bad battery. IMHO even if you ride only a couple of miles both red lights will come on when u plug in even my 2nd aftermarket charger at work with fan does that. It takes longer to charge for the last few %.

I regularly do 30-40 miles PAS 1-3 per charge on my Rover and also commute 20 miles at PAS 3-5 with elevation changes.
I would never buy a bike without a real display.
Pedego will probably tell u to return it and buy one of theirs.

Where is Rad on this? They aren't that hard to get a hold of and I can practically guarantee they will take care of this for you.

TT

At 3:17 today Rad is ready to start talking about a battery replacement, I’ll let you all know how it goes. Thanks, Don

Don't toss that old one until you know for sure the new one fixes the problem!

I was checking today sending the battery out for repair. My local Battery Plus store dose not repair them, and did not have any recommendations. Just thinking out loud so to speak. I’m sure the battery will sit on the work bench for some time to come. Thanks, Don

Another good thought. There are several companies capable of doing that....

I was checking today sending the battery out for repair. My local Battery Plus store dose not repair them, and did not have any recommendations. Just thinking out loud so to speak. I’m sure the battery will sit on the work bench for some time to come. Thanks, Don
If your Bike is new, I would think Rad would want you to return the defective battery to them so they can get credit from their supplier. Usually they do not care about cheap broken stuff, but a new $500 battery is a bit different.

They may be considering the liability of shipping a potential fire hazard (defective battery)? Not the first time I've read about somebody not having to send one back.

I got my new battery from Rad yesterday. I put it on the charger overnight and rode the bike on a long 16 mile ride. I had 2 battery lights when I turned into my garage. The charger lights went red, red straight away. I’m very happy with Rad. If someone would ask me, yes buy a Radrunner plus. Thanks, Don

Back