New Purion controller

tallpaul

A friend recently received a 2017 Haibike Xduro and loves it, with one glaring exception.His bike was fitted with the newer Purion controller and the "+" and "-" controls do not offer any tactile sensation to confirm his selection. They are also finicky and don't always change the setting. Not good!
Is there a way he can change this to an Intuvia system, which he and I both prefer by a long shot. The buttons are instantly responsive, the display offers more info at a glance, and is preferable in the straight ahead position it mounts on.
Is this something we should bring up with Haibike or Bosch, or the dealer from which it was purchased (out of town internet sales)?

Agree with your comments, I have the new purion controller and dislike the vagueness.

I'm considering a nyon but not sure to do that or go for a garmin 1000.

It is possible to fit it with the Intuvia and vise versa.

Regarding the Nyon it's not supported in the US, so be careful.

It is possible to fit it with the Intuvia and vise versa.

Regarding the Nyon it's not supported in the US, so be careful.
Does the fitting require one to re-route cables to the motor? I ask as I see there are no easy disconnects at the Intuvia display.
Any idea of the cost of an Intuvia? And what might a dealer charge?
Thank you for your replies.

I like the small size but agree on lack of tactile feedback. Almost like a touchcreen, without the screen. In other words, it's the worst of both worlds in terms of user input. Better buttons on the Purion would elevate the Walk Assist feature from "unusable" to "uncomfortable" .

Does the fitting require one to re-route cables to the motor? I ask as I see there are no easy disconnects at the Intuvia display.
Any idea of the cost of an Intuvia? And what might a dealer charge?
Thank you for your replies.
It does require new wires running to the motor and several new parts. I think you'll be looking at about $185 in parts and it should be less than an hour of labor. Technically you might be able to do it, but it might be easier to have a dealer do it.

WHY is there even a need for the Purion display when the Intuvia is better, and why don't we have the option in the US of the upgrade to a Nyon? It seems the Purion is a downgrade that nobody wants - I certainly don't.

WHY is there even a need for the Purion display when the Intuvia is better, and why don't we have the option in the US of the upgrade to a Nyon? It seems the Purion is a downgrade that nobody wants - I certainly don't.

Given that Purion is designed for eMTB use, to make that statement I am guessing that you don't ride off road.

I have yet to speak to or read of any eMTB owners in Europe, that would want to "downdgrade" back to either Intuvia or Nyon. In the case of Nyon, why would anyone riding off road, choose to fit a control console to their bike which is the size of house brick.

Purion is a significant upgrade over both Nyon and Intuvia for off road use., and yes I have owned all three systems. There are two slight annoyances with Purion though, the first is that the two control buttons activate via the inside edge, not the outside edge. And the second is the background light, which like the other display consoles, is a nuisance for night time riding. All three systems should have the option of turning the light off.

Even better would be having no control console at all, but sadly that isn't yet an option.

Last edited:
Given that Purion is designed for eMTB use, to make that statement I am guessing that you don't ride off road.

I have yet to speak to or read of any eMTB owners in Europe, that would want to "downdgrade" back to either Intuvia or Nyon. In the case of Nyon, why would anyone riding off road, choose to fit a control console to their bike which is the size of house brick.

Purion is a significant upgrade over both Nyon and Intuvia for off road use., and yes I have owned all three systems. There are two slight annoyances with Purion though, the first is that the two control buttons activate via the inside edge, not the outside edge. And the second is the background light, which like the other display consoles, is a nuisance for night time riding. All three systems should have the option of turning the light off.

Even better would be having no control console at all, but sadly that isn't yet an option.

+1. I upgraded my bike from the Intuvia to the Purion. The Purion is much nicer for MTB riding.

Okay, I'm game. Why is it better? Other than being more difficult to positively engage the next level of assist up or down, and being out of the line of sight so that you might miss what you're about to roll over when you quickly glance to the side to look at it?

Does it offer better or more stats? Is it more durable? Is it removable to prevent theft and easily replaceable if lost or damaged? Can you rotate the buttons downward (in order to more easily reach them with your thumb while maintaining a firm grip on the bar) and still be able to view the display, or does the display rotate with the buttons and become unreadable?

Thanks!

Okay, I'm game.

Game for what?:rolleyes:

You clearly haven't grasped the fact that Purion is a dedicated eMTB display.

It is smaller and neater than either Intuvia or Nyon, which for eMTB use represents a significant upgrade over both, and is certainly less vulnerable to damage, which Intuvia and Nyon are both prone to.
For eMTB use, the reduction in user functions is a massive bonus, and with the new software upgrade, all that is required is to just turn it on and forget that it is even there.
One of the biggest assets to Purion for eMTB use is that there is now a totally free handlebar stem area, which in itself makes the unit worth purchasing, especially beneficial for fitting lights or other accessories.

As for comments about being difficult to engage or difficult to view, you have shown either the inability of, or understanding of how to correctly set up your handlebar controls for optimum off road use. If you took the time to do this simple measure, then the systems will not be out of sight line or be difficult to use. You are blaming a system, when you should be blaming your bike manufacturer for not fitting the correct system to your bike.That is of course on the assumption that your bike isn't an eMTB, and if it is an eMTB, then you need to invest time in requesting that the bike shop teach you how to set up your controls properly for optimum use.

In respect of theft, it isn't removable, so cannot be stolen. Surely if you already own the unit then you would already know that. If you are daft enough to leave your bike unsecured and with the battery attached, then you deserve to have it stolen anyway. Also being one complete sealed unit, the console doesn't suffer from water ingress between the display and mount, which is yet another issue of Intuvia and Nyon. One less thing to think about going wrong.
In respect of replacing in the event of damage, it is no big deal just to undo three screws and replace, but as the unit is less vulnerable, the chances of it ever being damaged, are significantly less than either Intuvia or Nyon. To date I have damaged two Nyon units and one Intuvia unit., whilst Purion remains perfect.

Last edited:
Hey, I didn't roll my eyes and post like a condescending arse, so are you always like this or having a bad morning?

After that all I saw was reduced functions, I'm too daft to set up my controls, and then I skimmed through the rest so I could get away from you as fast as I could. Why are you even here?

EddieJ, whatever your point was, you failed to address the most glaring problem of the Purion, and that is its unresponsive, zero tactile feedback, finicky response. After riding for a month there is still no positive way to hit the plus or minus buttons and get the change you wanted overtime. This is really bad because when you are wanting a different setting you usually need it right then and there, and don't want to be looking off to the side to see what is going on with the control.
On the parts thread I offered to exchange the Purion with anyone for an Intuvia. Zero response. Says something?

@Larry Ganz

You have misleadingly claimed that Intuvia is better than Purion, that Purion is a down grade, and that no one wants it.

Why should I not correct you on all three statements. Your choice to only skim read through my post, just shows your ignorance to the subject.

tallpaul, I haven't experienced the issues that you have stated, and with my handlebar control set up, everything falls naturally into place and works efficiently. There is one exception which I first mentioned, and that is that I would prefer that the two switches operated from the outer edge, not inner. I have certainly not come across any European eMTB Purion users, that struggle to use, or complain about the system.

If you are in the UK, I have a complete Intuvia set up that I would be willing to sell for £60.00 including postage. The package includes, the wiring, mount, console, with and differing rubber inner spacers.

EddieJ, whatever your point was, you failed to address the most glaring problem of the Purion, and that is its unresponsive, zero tactile feedback, finicky response. After riding for a month there is still no positive way to hit the plus or minus buttons and get the change you wanted overtime. This is really bad because when you are wanting a different setting you usually need it right then and there, and don't want to be looking off to the side to see what is going on with the control.
On the parts thread I offered to exchange the Purion with anyone for an Intuvia. Zero response. Says something?

My experience with the Purion isn't quite the same as yours. I have no issues with the feedback of the Purion. It works as expected and is no different, in that regard, than the Intuvia.

I wonder why one needs to change modes so often in the first place. Around town I use Tour unless it is a long climb then I'll go with Sport or Turbo. When riding technical MTB trails (ie. something like Porcupine Rim, Moab) I use Eco almost exclusively and Tour for longer, non-technical, slogs.

Too bad you didn't post your offer back in the Fall. I bought a Purion from Germany and sold my Intuvia on the forum.

The new software update available doesn't appeal to me, but it might help with your requirements for the system.

I have to shoot off now, but I shall try to find a link explaining about it tomorrow. :)

@Larry Ganz

You have misleadingly claimed that Intuvia is better than Purion, that Purion is a down grade, and that no one wants it.

Why should I not correct you on all three statements. Your choice to only skim read through my post, just shows your ignorance to the subject.

tallpaul, I haven't experienced the issues that you have stated, and with my handlebar control set up, everything falls naturally into place and works efficiently. There is one exception which I first mentioned, and that is that I would prefer that the two switches operated from the outer edge, not inner. I have certainly not come across any European eMTB Purion users, that struggle to use, or complain about the system.

If you are in the UK, I have a complete Intuvia set up that I would be willing to sell for £60.00 including postage. The package includes, the wiring, mount, console, with and differing rubber inner spacers.

You still haven't addressed the "reduced functions", nor tallpaul's (and others) issues with poor response, nor tallpaul's experience with zero interest in his prurient.

You didn't answer my question about visibility when rotating the controls to bring the +/- closer to my thumb. Instead I'm ignorant for wanting to do that. I have bad arthritis at the base of both of my thumbs and have to adjust the controls for that. You haven't shared beyond three screws what is involved in swapping the intuvia for a purion.

And the new software update doesn't appeal to me either - not sure why suggest it if you can't even support it. For now I'm happy to ride in "ignorance" and let you feel superior.

Last edited:
Are you for real?

You really can't grasp the fact that Purion is eMTB specific can you, and that by and large, eMTB off road users couldn't care less about what you perceive to be a lack of functions. You clearly don't have the right display set up for you purpose, what ever that might be. It certainly isn't riding off road in technical conditions though.

As for rotating the console, I have already explained that you don't have your handlebars controls set up correctly, and any visibility issues are because of that, and nothing more. Just because you have health issues, isn't the fault of Bosch, and once again you have seen fit to criticise the system because of your own personal inadequacies. I have nothing to answer for.

I never stated that Purion could be swapped for Intuvia by swapping three screws. My comment was in direct reply to your statement of "easily replaceable if lost or damaged" which it is, and it only takes the removal of three screws.

Replacing Purion with Intuvia or Nyon is very easy or rather it is for most people. I'm not going to bother explaining how to do that to you, as I would just be wasting my time.

I suggested the software update to Paul, as based upon what he had written, it could well be beneficial to his riding style and use of the control settings. To say that I don't support the software update, is utter rubbish. My reason for not wanting the update has nothing to do with not supporting it, it just doesn't suit my riding requirements, as it would reduce my range per battery charge. I have very specific requirements for my bikes, and their use. And no I am not going to bother explain those requirements to you either.

As for poor system response, how can I answer a perceived issue that I and others that I frequently ride off road with or keep in contact with, have never experienced.

To end.. If you hate the system that much just change it.

It ain't all that eMTB specific if it's the default system on the Super Commuter. I get where the MTB guys might like it though, but I wouldn't want it on my xm700. I can't imagine what they're thinking putting it on that new Commuter instead of the Intuvia.

EddieJ, Thanks for your offer on the Intuvia setup. I am in California but don't think it would be a big deal to ship it over. It is small and weighs close to nothing.
Would a European system work here? I don't see why not, unlike the Nyon. What do you think? Would you be interested in the Purion as a backup?

Back