Chapooski

I have been dreaming about, designing and re-designing what I hope may become something new in the very niche world of all weather, recumbent, cargo E-trikes.
This category is currently inhabited by such vehicles as the Organic Transit ELF and Better Bikes PEBL, both of which I personally find a bit too large and heavy to be of practical use for many would-be cargo-trike users.
So I have been designing something a little smaller and lighter:
100 pounds maximum curb weight
34" maximum width
55" maximum height (30" folded height)
80" - 100" overall length dependent on final design
24" and 26" wheels with 2-2.5" wide tires
18" seat height
Passenger seating for 2 small children or 1 youth/small adult.
Very easy ingress and egress.
All-weather protection in a convertible format.

*My design has little in common with the ELF or PEBL other than similar functionality.*
(So please don't go making assumptions about what I may have in mind.)

Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Make it look like this.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 5.18.51 PM.png

A guy who calls himself canvasman has posted photos on atomic zombie of a velo he made for a DIY streetfox with electric assist.The shell weighs 37 lbs and can be removed in 15 minutes, he writes. No idea how much the bike itself weighs, but their Warrior model is claimed to weigh 43 lbs.

Make it look like this.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
View attachment 19233
That is a nice design but what you inevitably end up with is an ebike that costs as much as a low end car that may even need to be parked as a car due to increased footprint vs a traditional bike. In the summer an enclosed bike can be very hot inside and in the winter condensation can be a problem obstructing visibility. I typically think that it's easier for riders to have the right protective garments to deal with weather but I do understand the appeal of enclosing the vehicle as well.

Back