New owner of Turbo

Tonqin

Hi, just introducing myself as a new owner of a 2015 base Turbo.
It's grey with lights and soon to install fenders . I bought this over a 2106 model as over here the 2015 model gets lights and more battery capacity (468 vs 396 w/h) and cheaper.
So far in the last 2 weeks of ownership it's done everything I wanted out of a commuter bike - it gets me to the gym and work with minimal fuss for a bicycle.
I only have a 10km commute so it's turbo mode all the way for me and usually get home with 50% charge still left. Given the undulating terrain my theoretical range is 40km at best in turbo mode.
My only mods so far are cutting the bars down. I may try some organic brake pads as the ones on my Formula C1's squeal something chronic when wet. It's enough to scare small children and animals when I stop in the rain.
It will be an interesting experience to see how this bike goes over the next few years.
Cheers

I see you are from New Zealand. Welcome! The 2016 base Turbo is 396Wh? The 2015 base Turbo is the US is the 468Wh model with lights. The 2016 is the same as the 2015 but is $3000USD instead of $3800USD.

"I see you are from New Zealand. Welcome! The 2016 base Turbo is 396Wh? The 2015 base Turbo is the US is the 468Wh model with lights. The 2016 is the same as the 2015 but is $3000USD instead of $3800USD."
Hi Douglas, yes according to the dealers spec sheet that is what our 2016 ones are but the next shipment will be different. We pay NZ$5500 for the 2016 base model which is close to USD$3600.
We are yet to get the TurboX here and I think the Turbo S is special order. Unless they bring out electric assist above 45km/h I'm happy... now if they could cut the weight down to under 15kg that would be something.

Hey Mate, kiwi turbo owner here too - had mine about 5 months/3000kms now and it's going strong - haven't seen any other turbo riders around on my travels, loads of bosch systems about though!

Managed to get mine on sale for $4k which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Just on a tangent - have you noticed the motor kind of "grabbing" when you've been going downhill over about 50km/h, and then once it hits the 45km/h mark the motor gives a half second of resistance? Scares the hell outa me when it happens lol, feels a bit like locking up the rear wheel at random times. Doesn't happen all the time, just every now and then.

Hi MegaGrogan, you got a great deal on yours. What colour is yours and is it a base model or 'S'?
I haven't noticed anything like that, but then again I'm not going that fast either. If I do hit 50, it might only be for a fraction of a second:)
Let me know if you get it fixed or if it's just like that.
What city you in?

Yeah I'm not often going too hard out, it's always just when I'm going down a big hill, happened just today coming home from work, hardly a major but a bit of a nuisance.

Mine is the gunmetal grey colour, just the base model turbo, I've just added mud guards and a basic rack, take the kids to daycare and the park with a seat on the back and one in a pack on my back, does an awesome job of helping my poor legs out :)

I'm in tauranga, see quite a few electric bikes about now, mainly in the older population, but a few used for commuting too, it's good to see.

And I find I pretty much get bang on 40km a charge on turbo mode too, although I have gotten 180km on 20% power before, not so much fun to ride though :p

I'm in Dunedin and love my Turbo -- it has been a great way to commute, as I can use the back roads and then drop down to the bike path rather than negotiating the busy main road.

Another Auckland New Zealand owner checking in, bought my gunmetal 2015 bike a week ago and hating it.

Bike won't start in the mornings, powers on does successful self test and then shuts down. Later in the day it seems more reliable. Been back to specialized for the second time hopefully they can sort it.

Specialized dealer has great friendly service, so can't complain, and when the bike is working it's amazing.

From my anecdotal experience I would think twice about parallel importing one, even if they are much cheaper with stock available overseas.

Sorry to hear that Moja, hope you get it sorted soon.
Please post the outcome so we know how Specialized in New Zealand handles it.
Which dealer may I ask?

Another Auckland New Zealand owner checking in, bought my gunmetal 2015 bike a week ago and hating it.

Bike won't start in the mornings, powers on does successful self test and then shuts down. Later in the day it seems more reliable. Been back to specialized for the second time hopefully they can sort it.

Specialized dealer has great friendly service, so can't complain, and when the bike is working it's amazing.

From my anecdotal experience I would think twice about parallel importing one, even if they are much cheaper with stock available overseas.

well - sounds exactly like my bike - try my work around please to narrow it down. And keep me posted on the development

http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/2015-2016-base-turbo-startup-issue.3720/

Back