New Member With Questions

DieselWeasel

Hello everyone! I'm very interested in getting an electric bike to get me out and about as well as for exercise. I will admit, I have next to no experience with bikes. I'm 5'4" and... Well I'm 300lbs but have been working hard on getting that even lower. I've lost about 100lbs in a year and it's started to get more difficult.
I live in a kinda hilly area where I always had trouble with a bike, which is why I gave up when little. After learning about ebikes it just seemed to make sense and click. I won't be going super far, just round town some and errands.
I wanted a LCD display, disk brakes, and a locking battery. I preferred step through and cruiser style. I forgot to mention I have Fibromyalgia which makes everything difficult for me.
I originally was looking at the Wave ebike but I've been scared off by some remarks.
While poking around I found out there is a Pedego shop ~25 miles from my home. They offer free shipping, 100 mile tune-up, and seem to have just about everything I'd need accessories wise. From what I've read these are great bikes, but I can't seem to find a weight limit or anything. They're also very expensive... My dad keeps telling me to get a scooter but I won't get any exercise on one... Thoughts? I live in MA about an hour south of Boston and about 30 minutes from Rhode Island.

Only thing I can suggest is to find a steel framed bike with a motor that is biased towards torque instead of speed. Perhaps something like a Juiced Rider that has a large cargo capacity.

Visit the bike shop and test ride before you buy. I have a Pedego City Commuter, and a step-through is definitely helpful. I think 250-275 is near the limit, but ask the bike shop dealer about the weight limit; I found my LBS owner very forthright and helpful. You should opt for the 500w battery because you'll need the extra power. If the bike won't take your current weight, don't get discouraged, keep up the progress with other exercises until you can buy one!

Hey @DieselWeasel the Pedego is a good choice. Check out @Court latest review of the New Interceptor 3 2015 (red one in the video)model. Pedego has introduced Magnesium Alloy wheels, which will support up to 400 lbs and never need to be trued, think of an alignment in a car. I hear they have great customer support and you should also check out the story of Rhonda, it's very encouraging for us 300+ users.

Visit the bike shop and test ride before you buy. I have a Pedego City Commuter, and a step-through is definitely helpful. I think 250-275 is near the limit, but ask the bike shop dealer about the weight limit; I found my LBS owner very forthright and helpful. You should opt for the 500w battery because you'll need the extra power. If the bike won't take your current weight, don't get discouraged, keep up the progress with other exercises until you can buy one!
I test rode a Pedego months ago and can say the ppl that work at the shop we great but to be honest i just couldnt justify the price point.

@DieselWeasel the Pedego is a reasonable choice and another idea would be one of the 750 watt Prodeco Tech Bikes; the Outlaw SS or the Beach series. The larger motors will be less likely to bog down on hills and with your size which should encourage you to keep riding (not to mention, they're a little less expensive than the Pedego products)! These are also 48V systems so the range will be decent. I'm not sure that a typical 500 watt hub motor will really perform for a long time for you unless it was built for torque, maybe like one of the Currie Tech Eflow bikes.

@DieselWeasel The following is the information I got on Pedego weight limits. Looks like the Magnesium Alloy wheels Kaldeem mentioned are also on the boomerang plus model as well.
Josh Levay <[email protected]>
1:30 PM (7 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

"Hi Tara.
The Interceptor, City Commuter, and Boomerang Plus all come with disc brakes, locking battery, and an LCD.
All of our Pedego models (except the Stretch) are listed with a 250 lbs weight capacity.
We have just released a Mag Wheel version for our Interceptor and Boomerang Plus models that support a 400 lbs weight capacity.
Thanks""

Back