New Jersey passes low-speed electric bicycle law

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
Someone on the Reddit ebikes forum posted this development
The wording does not follow the People for Bikes/BPSA model ebike law and is confusing regarding the status of Class 3 speed pedelecs. Under the new law in New Jersey a "Low-speed electric bicycle means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by a motor while operated by a person weighing 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour." As most Class 3 ebikes require pedalling to operate above 20mph it might be argued they would be included under this definition however elsewhere the wording says "Motorized bicycle means a pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in that either the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 cc. or said motor is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower or is powered by an electric drive motor and said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface. This term shall not include a low-speed electric bicycle as defined in this section." The bill legalizes "low-speed electric bicycles" for riding on "streets, highways, sidewalks, and bicycle paths of this State." It is unclear if Class 3 ebikes continue to be left in legal limbo if they are to be considered a Motorized Bicycle because they can't be titled, registered, or insured for riding on the street.

But what if it’s a lot of taildwind And we go 30mph ? Are we supoosed to keep it @25 mph only ? I don’t see cars having speed limits. And the they or some of their drivers cause all the problems !

Nice catch. WIth all the hoopla, they still don't want you on a bike capable of going over 20 mph in NJ. I suppose you can always point to your class I or class Ii label, and claim tail wind or strng legs though, unless you exceeded a speed linit.

Correct me if I’m wrong Harry but I see no designation of Class 1/2 in the wording? Seems like the NJ laws pretty much follow the federal regulations that also don’t allow for speeds greater than 20 mph. Although as hashed to death on here is subject to interpretation as written.

This link claims to be the latest version of the NJ Bill. Refers to the class 1 and 2, discusses the labels, and bans ebikes from unimproved trails if they are posted as "No motor vehicles".

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/S731/2018

So glad to see NJ politicians concerned with labeling font specifics and type size! Yikes.

1On and after January 1, 2019, manufacturers and distributors of low-speed electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each low-speed electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the low-speed electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

George

Police have better things to do than write bike tickets. And if they do, it's usually a screen for catching a possible criminal. i.e, profiling. They might do it if they see you run a stop light or if they don't like the dinner plate sized big watts motor on your wheel.

It looks to me that Class 3 bikes are not allowed (1 and 2 only with a 20 mph cutoff speed).
It doesn’t specifically say that.
What it firs say is that ‘motor only speed of over 20mph are not allowed’ that means throttle ebikes with those speeds(above 20mph) will be banned.
When i pedal hard and i go 28mph on ebike with 750watts or less is completely legal.
That is what my interpretation is.

Doesn’t matter how hard you pedal. If you are riding a defined ebike faster than 20mph you are technically in violation. The police won’t be hiding behind billboards waiting for you but if someone customizes one to do 50, or if a speeder runs over someone, they can issue a summons and impound the bike.

It doesn’t specifically say that.
What it firs say is that ‘motor only speed of over 20mph are not allowed’ that means throttle ebikes with those speeds(above 20mph) will be banned.
When i pedal hard and i go 28mph on ebike with 750watts or less is completely legal.
That is what my interpretation is.
It says the motor has to stop providing assistance at 20 mph. That means no class 3. It also specifically calls out Class 1 and 2; no class 3. That's what I think it means anyway.

"Low-speed electric bicycle" means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, 1[whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by a motor while operated by a person weighing 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour] that meets the requirements of one of the following classifications: "class 1 low-speed electric bicycle" which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or "class 2 low-speed electric bicycle'' which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour1"

It says the motor has to stop providing assistance at 20 mph. That means no class 3. It also specifically calls out Class 1 and 2; no class 3. That's what I think it means anyway.

"Low-speed electric bicycle" means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, 1[whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by a motor while operated by a person weighing 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour] that meets the requirements of one of the following classifications: "class 1 low-speed electric bicycle" which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or "class 2 low-speed electric bicycle'' which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour1"

I think you're right. Seems clear when you put it that way.

So here's the question. It seems like most of the mid-level to higher quality bikes are Class 3. What happens if you buy one and live in NJ? I mean there are stores in NJ that sell Class 3 bikes. It's still a bit unclear.

Last edited:
I just bought an e bike and live in NJ . I would assume if you are not running people over on the sidewalk or passing car in a 30 mph zone you will be ok.
am 58 years old so I think I will avoid the high speed e bike traps lol
I would assume unless you are doing something stupid they have better things to do. Its a step in the right direction anyhow. I also think NJ likes vague laws so they can ticket who they want

Back