New Hyper Scorpion - not all electronics working

I just got a response to my previous emails, though it didn’t address my question regarding a refund. I hope that your bike gets sorted out. It‘s wild to spend so much time trying to get a failure on the seller’s end resolved. It’s like eBay. I’m a bit peeved that they are partnering with people all over social media to shift the narrative from a bad launch, never addressing what’s going on.

The new controller and battery lock fixed the issue and I think I also found what caused it. The wires from the battery terminal are not protected and have to do a 180 around a sharp aluminum edge. On top of that the wrong size screw was used to lock down the upper battery lock. It protruded into the wiring channel in the frame of the bike where there was already no room for movement. Luckily there was an extra one that came with the new lock. I also wrapped the hell out of the replacement one with electrical tape. Close to a month of waiting, 1 1/2 hours of labor, a ton of zip ties (luckily I had them), and a crapload of sweat (90 degrees today) to fix a few sloppy factory mistakes / oversights that appear to have caused controller electrical damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if vibration and small movement cause similar issues for other people down the line.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Great you got things fixed up. I don't think the manufacturing fault you show though could have caused the controller to fail. It could have caused a serious issue later if after riding the other wire sheath got damaged and then the wires shorted.

Great you got things fixed up. I don't think the manufacturing fault you show though could have caused the controller to fail. It could have caused a serious issue later if after riding the other wire sheath got damaged and then the wires shorted.

There are some posts on Facebook of people having the controller go after riding some miles of it initially working. It has me wondering if something like that was going on.

There are some posts on Facebook of people having the controller go after riding some miles of it initially working. It has me wondering if something like that was going on.
Well, add us to the list!

Went for the first 'proper' ride (more than just around the block) yesterday after the tall seat option arrived and I installed it. Probably 7 miles into the ride and lost all motor power. Flashing '0.0' V on the display. Rode last mile home without motor power (not fun on a hot day).

Support request sent to Juiced yesterday afternoon. :(

Wow, I'm guessing you will find internal wire damage. Installing the tall seat probably moved some stuff around. First make sure none of the connectors under the seat disconnected though.

During troubleshooting they had also asked me to follow the motor power cable and look for damage where it goes into the motor so I would inspect that as well.

Wow, I'm guessing you will find internal wire damage. Installing the tall seat probably moved some stuff around. First make sure none of the connectors under the seat disconnected though.

During troubleshooting they had also asked me to follow the motor power cable and look for damage where it goes into the motor so I would inspect that as well.
Yeah, I'm in that phase. Nothing wiring-wise was touched during the high seat install. And the bike rode correctly for 7 miles after this, before failing while at a friend's house and parked. While he and I were talking about it, I noticed the front halo light go off. It had been about 5 minutes, so I thought that maybe the bike had a 'power-save' mode when not being ridden. But looking back, I think that this was the moment that something electric actually failed, and I wasn't even riding at the time.

Tracing some of the wiring I was very surprised at how close the main motor power cable was to the rear brake caliper!o_Oo_Oo_O It was zip-tied off and hadn't been cut at all, but it was way too close for my comfort. I cut 4 zip-ties and routed the main motor cable out onto the exterior of the frame. Yes, it might be more susceptible to damage if the bike goes over and it is not as pretty (especially with the piece of inner tube around the aluminum connector locking nut, to cushion it from touching the frame), but I feel better about this routing.

Troubleshooting continues. I will have to say that Juiced responded to my ~4:00 pm support request email before 11:00 am the following morning.

Well, I just got the shipping notice that my wife's Brushed Aluminum HyperScorp is shipping today. It will likely be delivered tomorrow.

Wish me luck. From the recent HyperScorpion posts, it sounds like I'll need it! :(

Hey luck is going to be the key word, I got my hyper scorpion in the middle of August and have had brakes squeaking, the from shocks are horrible and either the speed controller is bad or the throttle is bad. The throttle has a dead band at half throttle and the front shocks had a horrible metallic clang on rebound and by looking at some of the youtubers like uncle Fjester I know the frustration, I’ve contacted juiced about some of the issues, they promised to send a new throttle 2 weeks now,but still waiting. Oh another thing when I throttle up with the rear wheel off the ground at 21.7 mph the bike continues to run even when I applied brakes and let off at 13mph the bike throttle back up to 21.7mph.

Hey try uncle fjester method on YouTube
I used the Uf method now due to not one bike shop in my area will touch my bike simply because they do not have a proper lift/stand. Juiced is supposedly sending me a new throttle (telling me I have a faulty throttle that is causing my motor surge), and front wheel due to a bearing issue in the hub. My front shock also make a clang noise I made a youtube video on that among many other issues. When I receive the parts and who knows when that will be, I will update.

JB must have really rushed the manufacture/distribution of the HyperScorpion. These aren't the kind of problems that can squeak through QA. I'm thinking they could just as well ship you a new one instead of trying to fix it piece by piece, when that many things -- major things -- are wrong.

I used the Uf method now due to not one bike shop in my area will touch my bike simply because they do not have a proper lift/stand. Juiced is supposedly sending me a new throttle (telling me I have a faulty throttle that is causing my motor surge), and front wheel due to a bearing issue in the hub. My front shock also make a clang noise I made a youtube video on that among many other issues. When I receive the parts and who knows when that will be, I will update.
Hey got my new throttle yesterday and it’s just another throttle, same problems. Sent an email to my contact at juiced and I guess the wait is on. From dealing with Esc in the last 15 years I can tell you it’s a problem with the controller. Most controllers have a port for software updates and for adjusting its operating perimeters, from what I know these controllers don’t have that ability. It’s a design software issue. I wonder if they had the same problems with the hyper scramblers.

Last edited:
Back