New here. Need help deciding.

Ridin222

*I posted in the general forum before I noticed this section*

My name is Tasha and I'm in search of an ebike. I've been researching all there is to know (it seems) and I still cannot make up my mind on what bike to purchase. I need to pull the trigger on one soon as shipping times are already pushed out to Sept/Oct at this point. Blah. I've been going through some health issues here and there and am having a few procedures done, but will be fully healed by mid September, hence I would like to have the bike all ready to go by then. I want to ride for health, mainly; weight loss, fresh air, stress relief, exploring, etc. I live in the Bay Area, where we do have some trails (slight gravel and dirt), as well as the beach being only 45 mins away. We also like to travel to LA and Tahoe and I would like to bring the bike at times (I know I will need to buy a bike rack for transport). I am 5'4" (important for standover height) and weigh 225lbs. I am looking for a fat tire or mountain bike with semi-fat tires. I was going to get the RadRover 5, but then decided to go for the Bolton Blackbird 2020 as it had all the upgrades I would do to the RadRover 5 for only $700 more. But when I went to checkout, the Bolton Blackbird 2020 sold out. They won't be getting any more until Oct/Nov. I was bummed! So now I am back to square one and and am yet again stuck between the RadRover 5, Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S, Sondors MXS, Biktrix Juggernaut Classic or HD. Out of these, what is my BEST option for the price? I can go up to $2500, though prefer to stay at or under $2000 if possible. I want/need this bike to last me a good few years if not more, hence why the higher amount I am willing to spend. I want a 'true' 750 motor if not more, speed between 25-30, good suspension, good brakes, head and tail lights, a rear rack and fenders. I'm not sure about cadence vs torque sensors. I DO want some exercise (the whole point of buying the bike), so I think cadence may be best? I just don't want 100% help with pedaling, but it would be nice when needed (torque?). I have read reviews and watched YT videos all day, every day it seems, but I feel actually talking to other owners will do me good in finally narrowing it down and making a choice. So, here I am. =) Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you!

Check out Espin Nero. 1200 Fully Equipped.

Best price imo.

Disclaimer, i own an Espin Flow and have Espin Sport on the way.

Best value brand right now...and I did 2 months worth of research.

I also live in SF btw. My Flow climbs STEEP hills at 10MPH at level 5.

Best price imo.

Disclaimer, i own an Espin Flow and have Espin Sport on the way.

Best value brand right now...and I did 2 months worth of research.

I also live in SF btw. My Flow climbs STEEP hills at 10MPH at level 5.
Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Those look pretty nice, actually. If the Sport had a 750w motor and a little thicker tires, I'd go for one. But still, they seem like a good deal.

I live in the South Bay, btw. So it would be more trail riding vs hills like SF has. Maybe some small ones though. But I would like to eventually take the bike to Tahoe or LA when we travel there. So there may be some small hills/dirt/beach trail type riding every now and then.

Last edited:

Best price imo.
It was $1149 with the premium package with the early bird pricing, but it has been reduced to $1099.

neropremiumprice.jpg

It was $1149 with the premium package with the early bird pricing, but it has been reduced to $1099.

View attachment 59829
I saw that, thank you. It's a super good deal for sure. I just wish it had the 750w motor. But my GF wants an ebike, too, so this may be a good choice for her as she isn't all about the specs the way I am. Haha! She seems to like the Rad Rover step thru, though. We'll see. For me, even though I am only 5'4", I'm not so much about the step thru. But with how big/tall a lot of the bikes are, I may not have a choice. =/

I saw that, thank you. It's a super good deal for sure. I just wish it had the 750w motor.

It's 800 watt peak. At 225 pounds, I think it should be fine unless you're going up some big hills. You said you want exercise, so you don't want the motor doing too much of the work. It's very much like the Radrover step-through if you compare them and the specs, but Espin is not as well known as Radbikes.

Motor Output500 watt nominal/ 800 peak output
Motor Torque65 Nm

Update: I am really, really leaning toward the Sondors MXS. It's the most decent all around one I've found that meets what I'm looking for. The different look (triangle battery) is sorta cool, too. I can get it with the fenders and rear rack $2147 (including shipping and tax). I wish it had lights and such, too, but I can always get some off Amazon of course. Other than Sondors, I really like the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic and HD. I can get the Classic with the same tire size as the MXS (27.5 x 3) with fenders, rear rack and light for $1994 with shipping and tax. The HD would be $2705, a big jump.

The MXS doesn't look bad if you can get past the look of the battery. One thing I don't really like is the 14-28T freewheel.

The MXS doesn't look bad if you can get past the look of the battery. One thing I don't really like is the 14-28T freewheel.
I don't mind the look of the battery. At least it makes the bike different than others out there, ya know? As for the freewheel, can you explain more on that? I'm not too familiar with the 'goods and bads'. I do know people are disappointed it's only a 7 speed for a mtn bike.

I don't mind the look of the battery. At least it makes the bike different than others out there, ya know? As for the freewheel, can you explain more on that? I'm not too familiar with the 'goods and bads'. I do know people are disappointed it's only a 7 speed for a mtn bike.
The chainring is a 48T, so that's the same as my standard Trek hybrid. 48T means it has 48 teeth. But my Trek has an 11-32T cassette, with the 3rd smallest cog being a 14T. So, the Sondors in its highest gear would have the same gear ratio as my Trek has in its 3rd highest gear. That happens to be the gear that I ride in most of the time, but I would not like it if that was my "top" gear, especially for a class 3 e-bike. The other thing about the 14-28T freewheel is that it has less range, with 28T being the largest cog, so it also doesn't have as low of a gear, and my Trek will go even lower by dropping to one of the other front smaller chainrings. 7 gears is less of an issue with a lower range.

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and opinions. Sorry I haven't replied. I've been dealing with health stuff still (in/out of the hospital). I am doing OK now and am back to bike hunting. I've narrowed it down to the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic or HD. BUT, Bolton released a new step thru bike today that I want all your opinions on. https://boltonebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/sabre?variant=32487966605359 Both bikes are similar in price. But spec wise, am I better off with one over the other? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Back