New Haul ST from Specialized….

Rich W.

Region
USA
City
The Farm, Grass Valley, Ca
Just found this in my email:
B88A65CF-E960-4467-88C3-5E74FE3DDCEB.jpeg

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/haul-st/p/200057?color=323191-200057&searchText=91022-8000

$2700 with lots of accessories to drive the price up a bit.

I dont see a speed but most likely 20mph. but its geared for around 35mph. way to large of a chainring. Plus no cartridge bearings on the wheels.

I dont see a speed but most likely 20mph. but its geared for around 35mph. way to large of a chainring. Plus no cartridge bearings on the wheels.
I noticed that gearing too - 50T chainring! And with an 11-36 cassette it would only handle moderate hills. Good for Boston maybe but not SF. And it would have to be a 28mph bike to be useful, otherwise you would just be a hazard in traffic. It certainly has enough battery. It looks to me like an urban alternative to a car, for which it is probably fairly well suited, and I’m sure there’s a market. I don’t like it and wouldn’t want one, but if I lived in or near a city with well developped bike lanes and MUPs, it might make sense.

I noticed that gearing too - 50T chainring! And with an 11-36 cassette it would only handle moderate hills. Good for Boston maybe but not SF. And it would have to be a 28mph bike to be useful, otherwise you would just be a hazard in traffic. It certainly has enough battery. It looks to me like an urban alternative to a car, for which it is probably fairly well suited, and I’m sure there’s a market. I don’t like it and wouldn’t want one, but if I lived in or near a city with well developped bike lanes and MUPs, it might make sense.
my bulls with a bosch mid drive came with that same gearing. it was not great at climbing till I changed the chainring. but hey I could spin to around 35mph its good it has a toque sensing bottom bracket.

Maybe with those 20” wheels its not so bad. It also has big brakes probably consistent with the load spec.

Last edited:
I have a strange feeling that thing would not be offered in Europe...
Or, I could be wrong.

I looked at the specs. Very cheap stuff as for the componentry. The motor power not specified?

we are clearly not in the target market but you can be sure there is one and it will probably do well there. Maybe when I’m 80 and living in a trailer park….

It doesn’t have to make sense, it just is.

404FF794-6449-4723-A93E-49C44FDF341F.jpeg

They should have a backwards mullet option so you can stack more stuff on a low front rack. Like this custom Vado:

F0E4F88A-1ACF-4E44-9454-66D82453E325.jpeg

Last edited:
Ask them how much a spare battery is. They won't tell you. I asked and got nothing.

They know they are competing against brands like Aventon and Lectric who will charge half as much for a spare battery. Important when you have to spend $1000 on a battery on a bike that's lost 50%+ of its value.

here is one guy who bought one.
That sounds really bad. I'm guessing his experience is the result of a fresh new assembly line that hasn't been thought fully through. I had some major issues with my Mongoose Envoy, which included a totally nonfunctional front wheel brake. I put that and a couple of other bonehead moves in my Amazon review and got a response directly from Mongoose that they were taking that feedback to the assembly line and making sure it couldn't happen again.

and... a quill stem?!? Really? Looking at the frame knowing this, its obvious why they did it, but its a stupid solution. they would have been better off re-thinking the frame design. All of the other cargo bikes on the market have not needed to do something crazy like that. But clearly this one had to thanks to that gigantic head tube.

Last edited:
"It’s Class 3 with a top speed of 28MPH."

Downhill with a tailwind needed because that gearing and shopping cart wheels won't get you that fast on level ground.....

A Specialized with a throttle, the fan boi's will be so depressed.
I took delivery of a Haul ST this week. It is absolutely good for an indicated 28 mph on a flat road -- I did it on the shake-down ride and it was easy. Tires inflated to about 22 lbs. (15-35 is the tire recommendation). I also bought the throttle just to have it but I haven't used it yet; the bike has so much power that it hardly seems necessary. BTW I'm 75 years old so a really fit cyclist could undoubtedly do better.

we are clearly not in the target market but you can be sure there is one and it will probably do well there. Maybe when I’m 80 and living in a trailer park….

It doesn’t have to make sense, it just is.

View attachment 148827

They should have a backwards mullet option so you can stack more stuff on a low front rack. Like this custom Vado:

View attachment 148828
I'm 75 and I think the Haul ST looks pretty cool. But my other e-bike is a Turbo Como 5.0 IGH and you probably think that's for geezers too? My rationale is that, at 75 I'm not going to impress anyone with my speed on a high-end road bike or an expensive MTB so I might as well suit myself and enjoy the assisted ride on a clever design. The Como has radar, too, and I like it! :)

I took delivery of a Haul ST this week. It is absolutely good for an indicated 28 mph on a flat road -- I did it on the shake-down ride and it was easy. Tires inflated to about 22 lbs. (15-35 is the tire recommendation). I also bought the throttle just to have it but I haven't used it yet; the bike has so much power that it hardly seems necessary. BTW I'm 75 years old so a really fit cyclist could undoubtedly do better.
If you say so but it is not my experience that a 109" high gear will pedal out to 28mph and why I made that crack. Guess I was wrong.

A Specialized with a throttle, the fan boi's will be so depressed.
Not in Europe.
We do not need the Chinese junk here.
We leave it to some underdeveloped countries :D

Last edited:
No offense but i think Cannondale did a much better job with their Hubmotor offering "The Adventure Neo", this bike is not really competitive imho.

Back