New guy

Old-tool-guy

Region
USA
Hello. Just bought 2 Ride1Up cafe cruisers, so far happy with them. They arrived safely and quickly, and my questions to the help desk have been answered quickly. We live in virginia. Doctor said start getting exercise, so that drove the purchase. Only problem is that the basket was delayed more than 2 weeks (still waiting) and i need to bleed one brake.

Welcome. For the exercise the Dr. ordered, disconnect the thumb throttles. You will want more exercise than just wiggling your thumb.
1683039318024.jpeg

Pedaluma … tha t’s the color i got, but it’s considersbly darker in real life. I found some of the reviews amusing on the web when they mentioned one of the good features about “bike x” that it had exciting colors.

I do pedal a lot, don’t use the throttle much except one hill close to the house. But ... I’m getting a huge amount more exercise now than compared to before the bike, so i’m going to use the throttle when i feel like it. Thumbs need exercise too. Anyway, at my age i‘m beyond listening to advice. Except from my wife. What? What? Speak up!

Leave the throttles on. You're a grownup. Just need to exercise a little discipline. Throttles are wonderful when you need them. Warning you now @Old-tool-guy : throttles are a hot-button issue here with smart people saying to keep them and Neanderthals/malcontents disagreeing.

:D

(just funnin' about that last part in case anyone missed it)

The fact is you are out on a bike. That is super good for a person's brain health. You are using all your core muscles for balance and that is also super good as one ages. You are also tapping into the power of an alternative muscle/motor/neural pathway and strengthening it. Here is a brief two part video of a man with Parkinson's on a bike. That is the power of bikes!

Oh a friend with a bike shop almost hurt himself and a 'bike' today. He was getting off a SurRon and bumped the twist throttle. As the front rises it increases the amount of twist. That thing is a death trap. Thumb throttles are okay. You have paid your dues.

My biggest problem, one that exercise won’t solve, is arthritis / bursitis. I had to get a step through frame, and even with that i struggle to get my leg high enough to mount the bike. Once up i don’t have any problems … until it’s time to stop.

And just as an interesting tidbit … the screen name … i collect old cordless drills. I like to buy them in worn out condition and fix them up to good working condition. Here is a picture of part of my collection of variable speed, reversible, cordless drills. My oldest dates to about 1840. This is about half the collection … i don’t have a problem … i can quit any time …

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpeg
    IMG_0524.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 80
I do pedal a lot, don’t use the throttle much except one hill close to the house. But ... I’m getting a huge amount more exercise now than compared to before the bike, so i’m going to use the throttle when i feel like it. Thumbs need exercise too. Anyway, at my age i‘m beyond listening to advice. Except from my wife. What? What? Speak up!
Welcome aboard! As you'll see, some advice around here is definitely worth at least taking into consideration. But not advice on how you should ride your ebike. If you're riding responsibly, the rest is nobody else's business.

Ebikes have many advantages I never imagined despite decades of conventional cycling. Ditto with my throttle, which I see as just another tool on my handlebar. Mine is used mainly for starting out and sudden bursts speed in traffic — rarely for more than a second at a time. All about knee protection and safety, nothing to do with avoiding exercise.

No question that throttles attract irresponsible riders to ebiking (around my home, mostly school kids and tourists). But that's a separate discussion with public policy implications and potential fixes well short of bans. Throttles that automatically fade after, say, 5 sec would filter out a lot of the yahoos without giving up valuable functionalities.

Last edited:
My biggest problem, one that exercise won’t solve, is arthritis / bursitis. I had to get a step through frame, and even with that i struggle to get my leg high enough to mount the bike. Once up i don’t have any problems … until it’s time to stop.

And just as an interesting tidbit … the screen name … i collect old cordless drills. I like to buy them in worn out condition and fix them up to good working condition. Here is a picture of part of my collection of variable speed, reversible, cordless drills. My oldest dates to about 1840. This is about half the collection … i don’t have a problem … i can quit any time …
Love the brace and bits and eggbeaters. I'm not especially keen on old tools but I am old enough to remember using tools like that. Now? Love me some Fesstool!

PS: Congrats on the bike. I stopped riding because I couldn't manage the hills here in Middle TN. E bike has got me back in the saddle and enjoying it.

I've been recording calories burnt on each ride and it appears, at least for my level of effort, riding my E bike for and hour burns 2/3 the calories of walking for an hour. The real benefit is I like riding my bike for an hour so I get out and do it. Walking for exercise, not so much.

Back