New Gazelle Medeo T9 (two!)

Lynne5

We have hybrid road bikes and it’s a typical story- we used to ride quite a bit, but that just faded away over the past few years. Partly because of some hills we have near our house, and partly because of the forward riding position- just can’t do it any more. But we still wanted the ‘bike’ feeling and to do a lot of pedaling.
Thanks to this web site and the EBR YouTube reviews of various ebikes, we narrowed down our choices. We wanted a step through model.
We went out to test drive this E bike, at The eBike Store in Portland, Or.
I liked the fact that it is made in Holland.
My husband was going to ‘wait’ to get an E bike. ☺

When we got there, the price was $1699, to make way for the 2020 models! They were flying out of the store!
So, I roped my husband in with this price, and we both have one now. :) Talk about bang for your buck!

And I cannot recommend this LBS enough. Fabulous service. Among other things, he keyed our folding bike locks to the battery key! (We’ll only use the Cafe Lock as an ancillary lock).
https://www.ebikestore.com/
Overall this bike is perfect for us, and we are really enjoying them. We don’t need ‘more’.
Two happy bikers.

8AA4F2A5-5DA0-419E-B185-72F6F1E38660.jpeg

We have hybrid road bikes and it’s a typical story- we used to ride quite a bit, but that just faded away over the past few years. Partly because of some hills we have near our house, and partly because of the forward riding position- just can’t do it any more. But we still wanted the ‘bike’ feeling and to do a lot of pedaling.
Thanks to this web site and the EBR YouTube reviews of various ebikes, we narrowed down our choices. We wanted a step through model.
We went out to test drive this E bike, at The eBike Store in Portland, Or.
I liked the fact that it is made in Holland.
My husband was going to ‘wait’ to get an E bike. ☺

When we got there, the price was $1699, to make way for the 2020 models! They were flying out of the store!
So, I roped my husband in with this price, and we both have one now. :) Talk about bang for your buck!

And I cannot recommend this LBS enough. Fabulous service. Among other things, he keyed our folding bike locks to the battery key! (We’ll only use the Cafe Lock as an ancillary lock).
https://www.ebikestore.com/
Overall this bike is perfect for us, and we are really enjoying them. We don’t need ‘more’.
Two happy bikers.

View attachment 52648
Those are very good purchases ...enjoy!

Welcome!

You got some very high quality, well executed e-bikes for a fantastic price. Be very glad that you were able to find such nice bikes available at all, and at a discount no less. E-bike sales have apparently skyrocketed recently, and of course many of the bikes coming from Asia have had significant supply disruptions and are currently unavailable. I recently thought I had purchased a new e-bike for my wife, getting the last one in her size. Only found out later that someone had gotten an order in just before I did, and they got it. Fortunately my wife likes her current e-bike so the sell-out won't preclude us from being out riding.

Welcome!

You got some very high quality, well executed e-bikes for a fantastic price. Be very glad that you were able to find such nice bikes available at all, and at a discount no less. E-bike sales have apparently skyrocketed recently, and of course many of the bikes coming from Asia have had significant supply disruptions and are currently unavailable. I recently thought I had purchased a new e-bike for my wife, getting the last one in her size. Only found out later that someone had gotten an order in just before I did, and they got it. Fortunately my wife likes her current e-bike so the sell-out won't preclude us from being out riding.
Now I feel even luckier!

Reactions: TMH
Very nice bikes!
I just ordered two Gazelle NL C8 HMBs last week. One for me and one for my wife.
I have been trying to figure out what bike locks and trunk bags to get.
I haven’t been able to determine what bag brands will work with the NL’s rear rack since it has the battery mounted in it and the rack tubing seems thicker than other manufacturer‘s racks. It would be nice to know if the MIK locking system that is available on Basil brand bicycle bags will work with the NL’s rack.
Can you share what brand trunk bag are on your bike in your picture?
It would also be great to get a second lock that is keyed alike to the battery and cafe lock like you have.
Thank you.

Very nice bikes!
I just ordered two Gazelle NL C8 HMBs last week. One for me and one for my wife.
I have been trying to figure out what bike locks and trunk bags to get.
I haven’t been able to determine what bag brands will work with the NL’s rear rack since it has the battery mounted in it and the rack tubing seems thicker than other manufacturer‘s racks. It would be nice to know if the MIK locking system that is available on Basil brand bicycle bags will work with the NL’s rack.
Can you share what brand trunk bag are on your bike in your picture?
It would also be great to get a second lock that is keyed alike to the battery and cafe lock like you have.
Thank you.
As you know, the key for the cafe lock stays in the lock until you remove it, which locks up the rear wheel of the bike. Because this key stays in the lock (when it is not locked), it is not keyed the same as my other locks. (That way if we choose not to use the cafe lock, we don’t have to worry that someone could take the key out and steal the battery, if that makes sense).
It was the bike store who keyed my battery lock to the folding lock that we purchased (to keep our total key count to a minimum).
The rear trunk bag that I have on my bike is just a generic bag. I’ve attached a photo, because I can’t even tell what the tag says. It attaches with two velcro straps across the bottom. I think this is the way most generic trunk bags attach. Because the battery is inside the rack, it was awkward running the velcro straps through the top bars of the rack above the battery. So I purchased some velcro strips and sewed it onto the straps to make them longer. This way the straps will reach around the entire battery/rack cage, below the battery, and back up to attach to the other side. Seems quite stable. It won’t be easy to remove quickly but at least we’ll have a trunk bag. (Just for a water bottle, snack, etc.).

Attachments

• 4F5F1007-5F6F-4DDE-AFEB-AC3C904B501F.jpeg
    4F5F1007-5F6F-4DDE-AFEB-AC3C904B501F.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 530
Thanks!
Sewing on extra Velcro is great idea. I am not a person who sews, so I am still hoping to find an off-the-shelf bag solution.
Are you happy with the foldable lock? Can you tell me what brand you got?
I will probably get the AXA chain plug lock that plugs into the AXA cafe lock.
I still need to decide on another heavier duty lock, either a U lock, chain lock, or foldable lock. With so many choices, it’s not a simple decision.

@EdM, If you find an off the shelf solution, let me know! I’m still looking around myself, but this will do for now.

As far as the folding lock, here is what we have. It retails for $149 for the case and lock, so not inexpensive, but obviously important. (I’ll use a cheap rack bag for now, but won’t fool around with the lock :)). Our bike store recommended it.
It won’t hurt at all to have the AXA chain plug lock as well, but I think you are smart to get a second lock as well (again, according to the bike store).

@EdM, If you find an off the shelf solution, let me know! I’m still looking around myself, but this will do for now.

As far as the folding lock, here is what we have. It retails for $149 for the case and lock, so not inexpensive, but obviously important. (I’ll use a cheap rack bag for now, but won’t fool around with the lock :)). Our bike store recommended it.
It won’t hurt at all to have the AXA chain plug lock as well, but I think you are smart to get a second lock as well (again, according to the bike store).

@Lynne5, thanks for your reply. I was looking at the Abus folding locks. I am intrigued with the version that has a built in alarm. It would be pretty heavy and I wonder how well it would stay attached to the bike frame. Can you tell me if your LBS drilled mounting holes into your bikes or if they just used straps to attach the lock holder to the bike frames?

I have been corresponding with a Marketing Manager at Gazelle. The only accessories that she mentioned that work with Gazelle ebikes are Ortlieb bags and Hafny mirrors. Our LBS recommended Hafny mirrors as well. I was interested in getting mirrors, so that's good to know. I looked that the Ortlieb bags. They are expensive and I didn't care for any of them.

I am going to try to find out if bags from Basil are compatible. I just found a website for the Holland Bike Shop which has a good selection of different brands of bags. Maybe some of these will work and could be found for purhase in the US as shipping from Holland would be expensive.

The Abus case is attached with a strap and seems very secure and stable. See pic below.

Very clever of you to think of contacting Gazelle for more information! Let me know what you find out about the Basil bags.
Thanks for the tip about the Hafny mirror- I need to get one, so will look into these. Is she recommending the ‘end bike mirror’ that you insert into the end of the handlebar? Or one that clamps onto the handlebar?

Attachments

• AFD538CD-5BE8-45F5-B952-A5ED9BFDA494.jpeg
    AFD538CD-5BE8-45F5-B952-A5ED9BFDA494.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 545
Reactions: EdM
@Lynne5, thanks again for answering my questions!

In regard to the mirror recommendation from the Gazelle rep, here is what she sent:

We recommend Hafny mirrors. We recommend using a bar mount type, specifically. Here are Hafny Mirror instructional videos for their main mirror types.
Handlebar mirror installation
Bar end mirror installation 1

Bar end mirror installation 2

So, I guess you can go with either handlebar mounting or bar end mounting. I am going to go with handlebar mounting as I don't want to cut out the ends of the handlebar grips that come with my bike model.

After spending way too much time research trunk bags, I am now leaning toward getting single panniers since there are so many more options and I don't think that there should be much issue mounting them. (Maybe this is why, in part, they seem more popular?) I will let you know if find out anything about the Basil MIK mounting plate compatibility for our rack types.

@EdM, I, too, am leery about cutting holes in my handlebar grips.
My husband uses an inexpensive mirror that attaches to his glasses and is satisfied with that. He likes the fact that the vibration of the handlebar doesn’t interfere with the view, and that he can turn his head slightly to change the view. I might do a combination of both.
A single pannier is a great idea- and might be much easier to remove if you are running errands on your bike.
Keep us posted on what you end up with!

Reactions: EdM
@EdM, I, too, am leery about cutting holes in my handlebar grips.
My husband uses an inexpensive mirror that attaches to his glasses and is satisfied with that. He likes the fact that the vibration of the handlebar doesn’t interfere with the view, and that he can turn his head slightly to change the view. I might do a combination of both.
A single pannier is a great idea- and might be much easier to remove if you are running errands on your bike.
Keep us posted on what you end up with!
Thanks for the info on the eyeglass mirrors. I will keep them in mind.

I am going to wait until after we receive our bikes (hopefully this week) before making a decision on which rear rack bag(s) to get.

Thanks for the info on the eyeglass mirrors. I will keep them in mind.

I am going to wait until after we receive our bikes (hopefully this week) before making a decision on which rear rack bag(s) to get.
@EdM did you ever find out if the Basil MIK mounting plate was compatible with the Gazelle rear racks that house the battery?

@EdM did you ever find out if the Basil MIK mounting plate was compatible with the Gazelle rear racks that house the battery?
Hi @Lynne5. No, I haven’t found time to look into that further. We have just been using a small, soft-sided cooler that fits on my NL’s front rack. It‘s working out well for now. Eventually I plan on getting a storage solution for my rear rack. Ortlieb panniers supposedly fit, but they are pricey. I will let you know what I end up getting.

BTW, I got the Hafny mirrors for our bikes and we are very pleased with them. Makes riding more enjoyable and safer.

Hello!
I’ve attached a wooden crate to the front rack of my NL at least for the summer months. It has a nifty holder for coffee (although I use my sealed Thermos Direct Beverage Bottle to avoid spills when riding on uneven terrain) and can fit one grocery bag.
I have not figured out what panniers to use at the back yet. There is a semi-permanent bag that I have my eyes on. It is called Middle Earth Jammer Bag by Road Runner Bags or the Small Pannier by Restrap.

Attachments

• 3CE83964-9BCE-43D2-A327-81975D7FC2A5.jpeg
    3CE83964-9BCE-43D2-A327-81975D7FC2A5.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 591
  • 9F9E9C3B-EC09-4F30-AC67-E5693AAE85D5.jpeg
    9F9E9C3B-EC09-4F30-AC67-E5693AAE85D5.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 539
Hello!
I’ve attached a wooden crate to the front rack of my NL at least for the summer months. It has a nifty holder for coffee (although I use my sealed Thermos Direct Beverage Bottle to avoid spills when riding on uneven terrain) and can fit one grocery bag.
I have not figured out what panniers to use at the back yet. There is a semi-permanent bag that I have my eyes on. It is called Middle Earth Jammer Bag by Road Runner Bags or the Small Pannier by Restrap.

Catherine B, I recognize your beautiful bike and basket from the Gazelle FB group! 👋

280km update:

Still very impressed with the range I'm getting from my 55cm HMB. I'm looking at well over 100km to a charge. This is fairly fast (25 to 35kph) riding on a mixture of smooth, hilly paved cycle trails and broken pavement, mostly on Eco with bursts of Touring or Sport on big hills. My back continues to improve as my sciatica symptoms retreat. At this rate, the bike will have paid for itself in a year just on the basis of not having to pay for chiropractic care.

The dealer improved the shifting during the free 6-week tuneup. Now that the cable is stretched in and the deraileur adjustments have been reset, shifting is fast, predictable and precise.

I got a closer look at a 2019 (also a low-step), and have realized that for bigger riders, the 2020 update was a useful redesign. The top tube is beefier, and spaced a little higher for better rigidity. This makes it a little harder to step through with my size 13's, but it handles better. The larger, Performance-grade Schwalbe Big Apple tires offer a higher weight rating than the 1.75's on the 2019, and the disk brakes are stout and very predictable.

Shortening the handlebars about 5/8" at each end made the front end feel more planted, and made it easier to ride through gates on our local bike paths. Moving the seat back a little improved my riding comfort, but I still broke down and got a Kinektic 2.0 seatpost. Spendy, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

Now I can pedal through bumpy sections that I would have coasted through on my other bikes, and I'm finally content with the stock saddle. I was trying to avoid a floaty feeling and/or bobbing at high cadences, and the Kinektic delivers.

I also mail-ordered an AXA plug-in chain that works off the factory frame lock. Canadian and US distributors don't seem to be selling them up here, but a German vendor was happy to ship to Canada. Cost with shipping was less than the Kryptonite 10mm plug-in cable, plus it comes with an underseat bag that fits around the Kinektic mechanism.

After adding some 3M reflector tape to improve night-time visibility, I figure I'm done with farkles. No further accessories needed, all I want to do is ride.

Last edited:
Back