New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014

Aushiker

Region
Australia
City
Walyalup, Western Australia
Schwalbe is releasing an updated Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.
Now Schwalbe is presenting a new version of its Marathon Plus. Despite its thick protective layer, the tyre rolls surprisingly lightly. “Our laboratory test have shown that among tyres with thick puncture protection belts, the Marathon Plus has by far the lightest rolling characteristics", says René Marks.

The side walls have also been optimised. Since the tyre is so substantial, it has often been ridden with too low air pressure. These years of "mishandling" would sometimes lead to cracks in the side walls. Now a special anti-aging technology works to protect the side walls of the Marathon Plus from premature cracking as well as adverse weather conditions. The rubber compound also makes the Marathon worthy of its name: The Endurance Compound rolls for thousands of kilometres with excellent performance characteristics and low abrasion.

The patented ‘Plus’ of the Marathon is still the heart of the tyre: Smart Guard, the protective belt consisting of five millimetre thick natural rubber. The tyre is now partly made from recycled rubber and is therefore resource-friendly.
Of particular interest is the tyres are approved for e-bike use...
E-bikers also have equally good reasons to opt for flat-less tyres. The particular demands of the e-bike require an extremely stable, durable and puncture-proof tyre. For this reason, Schwalbe had the Marathon Plus certified in all its popular sizes for use with fast e-bikes. The following sizes bear the ECE R75 mark of conformity, valid throughout Europe: 47-406, 47-559, 37-622, 40-622, 47-622.
Here's the press release and a couple of pictures.

schwalbe-marathon-plus-thumb-tacks.jpg schwalbe-marathon-plus-tires.jpg

Andrew

Nice find Andrew! Since we've been talking a lot about managing flats and using different types of tires recently this is very relevant. It's neat that they actually call out electric bikes, Schwalbe is keeping an eye on the industry and innovating ;)

On the topic of "flat less" tyres, does anyone use and/or have experience with tubeless tyres. Are they worth the work, how much maintenance do they require (Refills, More Pumping) and do they last.

I would love to get a set of these 2014 Marathon Plus HS 440 tires, but the 47-622 700 x 45C for the Izip Dash are pretty hard to find right now and they are out of stock at the Schwalbe website.

Thanks,
I did see this before, but I was confused because when I tried to select 700-45, the size was grey colored. I see now that the 700-45 is available under the 3rd style. Apparently, the 700-45 is a slightly different style, all black with no reflective. Interesting.
Or perhaps they are all the same, but different sellers are selling different sizes and they just describe the same tire in different ways. Even the 700-45 photo of the tread is different.

Update: I went to the Schwalbe site and it looks like the 700-45 photo is of the HS348 old style of Marathon Plus. I wonder if Amazon isn't getting the 2014 HS440 and the older HS348 mixed together in the same listing?

Thanks,
I did see this before, but I was confused because when I tried to select 700-45, the size was grey colored. I see now that the 700-45 is available under the 3rd style. Apparently, the 700-45 is a slightly different style, all black with no reflective. Interesting.
Or perhaps they are all the same, but different sellers are selling different sizes and they just describe the same tire in different ways. Even the 700-45 photo of the tread is different.

Update: I went to the Schwalbe site and it looks like the 700-45 photo is of the HS348 old style of Marathon Plus. I wonder if Amazon isn't getting the 2014 HS440 and the older HS348 mixed together in the same listing?

They are. I ordered a pair in the 700/45 size and they're HS348's.

If you are interested in road slicks, the Turbo runs with Specialized Electrak 700x45c, Armadillo puncture resistance. Available on the Spesh site when it comes back up (down for maintenance I guess).

47-622 on the Dash is a specification for tubes I believe. Most 26" tubes can stretch out to 27.5" also and similarly 28" can go upto 700C or 29" but I am not sure if the tires can stretch too.
If someone ends up using 28" tire on a 29" tire, I would love to her some updates so I can try it out similar thing on my bike too.

MarcD is correct.

In matching tires and tubes to rims it is important to use the Bead Seat Diameter (622mm).
The 700C (27.6"), 28", and 29" all refer to the tires outside diameter. As long as the bike has frame and fender clearance, the tire width fits the rim width, and the BSD is 622mm, all three sizes 700c, 28", and 29" can be used.

The 47-622 specification is for both tubes and tires, although it is more important for tires.

The 622mm is the ISO measurement of bead seat diameter of the rim. It is used on tubes and tires to help match rims with tires. It's a mess though. Here is a good resource on understanding what goes with what: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Some 700c and 29" tires will work on the same rim, some won't depending on the BSD.

Thanks a lot Marc,
It was very useful info and learnt a good deal on how to find the right tire.

559 BSD--> 26"
584 BSD --> 27.5" or 650B
622 BSD --> 29" or 700C

I think these are the most widely used sizes on ebikes.

Well, I had my first Dash flat yesterday!
So, I ordered my 2014 Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS440 47-622 tires today.
Also, I ordered Schwalbe AV19 inner tubes because I'm switching to Schraeder type valves.
I'm doing that because I want to use Ride-On Tire Sealant for bicycles.
I use Ride-On in the tires of both of my motorcycles and I thought I'd try their bicycle version.
Meanwhile, I'm still riding on the oem tires hoping not to get another flat.
Compared to the Specialized Armadillo tires I'm used to using, these CST oem tires sure are lightweight and flimsy tires.

Well, I had my first Dash flat yesterday!
So, I ordered my 2014 Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS440 47-622 tires today.
Also, I ordered Schwalbe AV19 inner tubes because I'm switching to Schraeder type valves.
I'm doing that because I want to use Ride-On Tire Sealant for bicycles.
I use Ride-On in the tires of both of my motorcycles and I thought I'd try their bicycle version.
Meanwhile, I'm still riding on the oem tires hoping not to get another flat.
Compared to the Specialized Armadillo tires I'm used to using, these CST oem tires sure are lightweight and flimsy tires.
I was informed on the 28th that Schwalbe was out of both the 47-622 tire and that the "correct" tube to use with this tire was the lighter duty(150g vs 220g) AV'17' (which was and still is out) ...so I'm happy to see that you got both the very next day. Did you get it from Schwalbe? I'd like to purchase their product yet and am a little frustrated that I can't simply order the &*^! thing, get first in line (have it backordered) and not be asked to "check back in" 3 times a day.
There are a lot of tires out there and enough recommended up here daily to simply order something else.

According to the Schwalbe website either the 17 or 19 inner tube can be used with the Marathon Plus HS440.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Plus_HS440
I choose the 19 because it is a heavier tube and I'm more concerned with flat protection verses inner tube weight.
I ordered the AV19 inner tubes from MotoMan thru Amazon.
I ordered the Marathon Plus HS440 47-622 from xxcycles.com in France.
I got my Sun Tour NCX SP-12 suspended seatposts from them and received excellent service and delivery.

Back