new ebiker looking for some adivce

impressed rider

i just bought a magnum metro 2 months ago and i have run into some problems ems and i dont know what i can do i was hopping somebody could give me some advise and a little help with the issues with my $3.100 paper wight.
like i said i got this bike a little less then two months ago and i was just so happy with it not only was it a great bike to ride but also i was able to go out and get around again after spending a year or so waiting for my knee replacement surgery it was so nice to get out and about without being in agonizing pain with every step way im rambling to my problem 8 days ago i derided to wash MY BIKE SO I DID EVERY THING i could do to protect it i put a plastic bag around the display REMOVED THE Battery and washed it with a hose and rag when i left for a ride the day i noticed there was a bit of what looked like moister in the display waited a coulple days and tried again it seemed OK but the battery light the one on the top of the battery wouldn't turn off and then it would ent charge so i toopk it to p
the bike shop where i bought it and right away he was trying to just get me out it seemed so i left and came back a day later after thinking about a few things i was thinking maybe when i installed a proper theoutle instead of the simple ugly looking one that came with it it also had a ignition with it and i think it sould come with one anyway case he right away said oh you touched the wiring the warranty is void even though im a licences mechanic and i know all about making proper connections witch i double check every time io do wiring on anything so i no that it had nothing to do with my wiring and besides two days after a bought it the alien bolts that hold the rear dick in place had all felled out expe;pt one when i took it back that time he tried to say somebody must be trying to sabotage me right then i should have caught on that he was just trying to cover shot workmen ship then a couple weeks later i checked the rear disk again because i header a clicking when i put the brakes on and sure enough the bolts were backing out again i replaced the ones to where missing my self this time and noticed that he ha dent even put lock tight on any of the bolts when he first assembled it and when he replaced the ones the he put in last time so now im trying to get m,y bike back on the road but there is very little info on this bike as far as repairing and sutch if any on has any ideas that might help me like if you know where a can download the wiring diagram for the magnum metro or some videos on YouTube or just some advised anything that might help me get back out there im going nuts stuck in this place

I had a lot of trouble reading your note as well. Willing to help, and pretty sure a bunch of others are as well, but you need to be more specific with your questions.

I did see you mention you are looking for a wiring diagram. I don't think you're going to find one that covers the entire bike, but you might have better luck if we knew what type of problem you're having. That might allow for somebody to come up with a diagram for that area, or some ideas to help troubleshoot you issue.

Best of luck.

sorry about my first post i have a little issue with my spelling had it most of my life.
i will try again
problem lost power after washing.it was the controller but i voided the warranty after i installed a throttle with ignition key so i bought on online but it dosent want to work with the display or the display was damaged as well when i wash it im not sure so my question is how can i by pass the display until l can afford to by a complete setup and while im here can anyone suggest a good but affordable control box display setup that is not das kit

It is very difficult to find display/controller/throttle/brake calipers that match each other except as a set. Sometimes you can replace all those in a set and reuse the motor & battery, but the connectors on those have to be compatible. You could use a DVM to prove the battery is okay, by load testing it with a 15 ohm 225 W resistor as I did. Two batteries I bought failed that test, collapsing to 7 v on one and 11 v on the other. That was after a charge. Do any load testing outside on concrete in case of a battery fire.
No you can't bypass the display until you can afford a complete setup. Some new controllers come without a display, I recommend using one of those. I had trouble with the display getting waterlogged just by sitting out in the rain. Funny thing bikes are used outdoors, you might expect them to work after a rain. Not. My new controller without a display does work after a rain.
Yes, you voided the warrenty when you made a modification. Plus I never wash my bike with a hose. That probably would have voided the warrenty too.
Better luck with the next bike.

I had a lot of trouble reading your note as well. Willing to help, and pretty sure a bunch of others are as well, but you need to be more specific with your questions.

I did see you mention you are looking for a wiring diagram. I don't think you're going to find one that covers the entire bike, but you might have better luck if we knew what type of problem you're having. That might allow for somebody to come up with a diagram for that area, or some ideas to help troubleshoot you issue.

Best of luck.
sorry about my first post i have a little issue with my spelling had it most of my life.
i will try again
problem lost power after washing.it was the controller but i voided the warranty after i installed a throttle with ignition key so i bought on online but it dosent want to work with the display or the display was damaged as well when i wash it im not sure so my question is how can i by pass the display until l can afford to by a complete setup and while im here can anyone suggest a good but affordable control box display setup that is not das kit
Take it to another dealer and remove the throttle you just installed before going there.
Don’t mention the washing maybe only heavy rain.
Some dealers are not that great...that’s why it’s only a few that are Great. Get a Bh/easy motion for next one. New from a Great dealer , never buy a used ebike. And just use a spinge to clean it . Very carefully if using hose on an ebike.

This is probably not your problem, but it's worth a try.

I have a magnum metro. I find that when the battery is low on charge and I try to use a lot of PAS or throttle the whole system shuts down. It acts as if the battery no longer has enough juice to even power the screen. I don't know much about it, but it looks like a software glitch to me. I resolve this issue by charging the battery a little. Works every time for me.

Try turning on the bike while the battery is charging.

Hi I would like to thank every body for there help and coments I really appreciate your help.
Well here is an update after taking a break away from the bike I when and bought a factory controler and display so I could just put every thing back the way it was when I bought it.
That was the idea.
Well that worked a little bit like that.
After installing every thing back to the way it was I tryed it in my apartment a little and it turned the wheel and the display seemed to work except the speedometer didn't work but I took it out the next morning any way and to my dissaponit ment it still has issues right now it barly turns the wheel around when I hit the gas if I flicker the throutle a little some times it wants to chach but not quite I don't no what to think now I have just about hadit with this bike I just can't keep sinking all this money into it.
Not just that but it driving me crazy.
If any body has any ideas please I'm all ears

My first move would be to have a look at the area around the connector between the motor and the controller, as well as the connector itself. Check both sides of the connector to see if all the wires are inserted fully. Check also to make sure the wire colors match one side vs. the other, and that there are no apparent issues with this wiring. Other than motor or controller internal problems, this is about the only place a problem like you describe can be. Best of luck!

hi i wanted to thank you for your input but in the end after trying every last thing i could i finally rounded up the money to buy factory parts form the store where i pursued my bike.
i wish i could say every thing worked out but it didnt i just got a whole different set of problems.
the good new is i can ride it sort of. heres where i am at and i sure hope you might have an idea that might get me out of this nightmare i cant seem to wake up from.
to start the speed o doesnt work it just stays at 00 all 6 speeds work and the power on off works but the weird thing is when i got to use it some times it starts perfectly then after running for 5 minutes it shuts off
i assumes its because its supposed to shut off after 5 minutes of reading 0 on the speedo to save the battery.
then when i turn it back on it runs but it makes a louder then normal sound and it kind of feels like its pulling and pushing at the same time plus the noise gets louder each gear it goes up.if i shut it on then off several time eventually it will go back to normal for another 5 minutes
then other time when i turn it back on it works normal again for another 5 minutes
and so on i dont no what to think everything is back to factory specs but because i installed that throutal the first week after i bought my bike its not under warranty i wish the store where a bought the damn thing had of told me this on any thing about the warranty but live and learn if any one can help thank you

hi i wanted to thank you for your input but in the end after trying every last thing i could i finally rounded up the money to buy factory parts form the store where i pursued my bike.
i wish i could say every thing worked out but it didnt i just got a whole different set of problems.
the good new is i can ride it sort of. heres where i am at and i sure hope you might have an idea that might get me out of this nightmare i cant seem to wake up from.
to start the speed o doesnt work it just stays at 00 all 6 speeds work and the power on off works but the weird thing is when i got to use it some times it starts perfectly then after running for 5 minutes it shuts off
i assumes its because its supposed to shut off after 5 minutes of reading 0 on the speedo to save the battery.
then when i turn it back on it runs but it makes a louder then normal sound and it kind of feels like its pulling and pushing at the same time plus the noise gets louder each gear it goes up.if i shut it on then off several time eventually it will go back to normal for another 5 minutes
then other time when i turn it back on it works normal again for another 5 minutes
and so on i dont no what to think everything is back to factory specs but because i installed that throutal the first week after i bought my bike its not under warranty i wish the store where a bought the damn thing had of told me this on any thing about the warranty but live and learn if any one can help thank you

I would disconnect all cables and gently use a hair dryer on warm setting for 45sec-1min for EACH contact point.
Would also take out the controller and do the same there for all internal wiring.
Wait few hours , then if it works ,put dialectric grease on ALL contacts

And NEVER HOSE WASH AN EBIKE !! Some moist towels , remove the grime, and then additional rags/ squeeze and repeat.
I was in your same situation few years back(took the ebike into 1foot of snow..... Dealer was eager to tell me i need to replace everything (cables, controller, display) and i happily obliged.

Many thanks to EBR and all the people contributing here !! We give each other the best and most truthful tech. Support for free.

thanks for the the advice but its been drying for over 4 months now im pretty sure its dried out
personally i think its the controller and the dealer where i bought it doesn't think there's no way it could be a defective product.
to be honest this particular bike has been nothing but problems since day one well a week after i got it
and i don't think guy at the shop ever heard of the term a lemon.
i just dont no what to do next to cutting my loses and excepting the fact that im a not so proud owner of a now 3.600 dollar paper weight which is a shame i really enjoyed being able to get around again i should have bought a electric wheelchair well the good news is its only another 10 months untill my surgery date and with any luck i wont need ether one of them after that

thanks for the the advice but its been drying for over 4 months now im pretty sure its dried out
personally i think its the controller and the dealer where i bought it doesn't think there's no way it could be a defective product.
to be honest this particular bike has been nothing but problems since day one well a week after i got it
and i don't think guy at the shop ever heard of the term a lemon.
i just dont no what to do next to cutting my loses and excepting the fact that im a not so proud owner of a now 3.600 dollar paper weight which is a shame i really enjoyed being able to get around again i should have bought a electric wheelchair well the good news is its only another 10 months untill my surgery date and with any luck i wont need ether one of them after that
All due respect, not into hand wringing pity parties here. Take the bike back to the dealer, tell them what's going on, and have them call you when it's done.

From his story it def sounds like his dealer is a real scum.
Should post the dealer name in CAPS in a NEW thread. Stay away from “. “ . It seems some ebike companies rectified their services after this is done.
3.6k is a lot of money for a dealer to simply take and forget.

hosing down a eBike motor and controller and it's a warranty issue? Hmmmmmmm

I would disconnect all cables and gently use a hair dryer on warm setting for 45sec-1min for EACH contact point.
Would also take out the controller and do the same there for all internal wiring.
Wait few hours , then if it works ,put dialectric grease on ALL contacts

And NEVER HOSE WASH AN EBIKE !! Some moist towels , remove the grime, and then additional rags/ squeeze and repeat.
I was in your same situation few years back(took the ebike into 1foot of snow..... Dealer was eager to tell me i need to replace everything (cables, controller, display) and i happily obliged.

Many thanks to EBR and all the people contributing here !! We give each other the best and most truthful tech. Support for free.

Real men don't use hair driers! Well, I don't but I don't have any hair.

Last edited:
From his story it def sounds like his dealer is a real scum.
Should post the dealer name in CAPS in a NEW thread. Stay away from “. “ . It seems some ebike companies rectified their services after this is done.
3.6k is a lot of money for a dealer to simply take and forget.

I agree, scum dealer, what's their name?

Last edited:
The key here, no matter who is at fault (our PO or the shop), is to get the darn bike fixed. At that point at least it's no longer "an expensive paperweight". Once what it's taken to get the bike serviceable again is known, THEN you can hammer out an agreement on who's responsible for what.

For all we know it's a blown fuse.....

You need to get the bike fixed!

Back