New ebiker. About to buy. But nothing available

Will it haul a week´s groceries & a small child at the same time?
Not sure why this came up, but I really can't see a bike able to do that as having universal appeal? Personally, I'd rather have one of my 55 lb Espin bikes. MUCH more practical for my needs.

That said, after a few changes having to do with personal preferences, I'm over 300 lbs, and this Sport can tote my fat butt over 40 miles on a charge using PAS 1 &2 full time. Not bad for a bike in this weight category and price point.

I have a 21 Espin Flow, and have been very happy with it so far (bought it in March). It seems to be well-made, the rear rack is substantial, and there's also an option to have a front rack. You know that already 😁.

Espin also has the advantage of actually being available. Assembly was easy and straightforward. You do either need to have the skills to maintain/repair it yourself, or have a shop or mechanic willing to do it for you. Before I purchased mine, I called around the local shops to find out if anyone worked on ebikes they didn't sell...2 did (and my husband is a mechanical engineer/do it yourself kind of guy). So, I felt pretty confident ordering online. The only problem I've had so far is one loose spoke, that was easily tightened by my "private mechanic".

I would definitely do a trailer if I were hauling kiddos! As mentioned, the lower center of gravity (and, wider wheel base) make it more stable/safe.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever bike you choose
yeah I have a Triumph Bonneville SE . Hard to give up!
I have a 21 Espin Flow, and have been very happy with it so far (bought it in March). It seems to be well-made, the rear rack is substantial, and there's also an option to have a front rack. You know that already 😁.

Espin also has the advantage of actually being available. Assembly was easy and straightforward. You do either need to have the skills to maintain/repair it yourself, or have a shop or mechanic willing to do it for you. Before I purchased mine, I called around the local shops to find out if anyone worked on ebikes they didn't sell...2 did (and my husband is a mechanical engineer/do it yourself kind of guy). So, I felt pretty confident ordering online. The only problem I've had so far is one loose spoke, that was easily tightened by my "private mechanic".

I would definitely do a trailer if I were hauling kiddos! As mentioned, the lower center of gravity (and, wider wheel base) make it more stable/safe.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever bike you choose!

Does the Espin Flow 21 show you which gear your in? I know it shows the PAS, but does it also show which chain gear your in?

Questions for the Espin Flow 21 Owners:

1. Does the bike show you which gear your in? I know it shows the PAS, but does it show you what Chain Gear your in?
2. I read it can be upgraded to Class 3 bike, is that easy to do? How?
3. Want to confirm the Flows throttle can be used from a complete stop and used without pedal at all if desired.
4. if upgraded to class 3, does that mean the throttle will push through 20mph lock?
5. not a question! but thanks for helping me making my hopeful future ebike purchase!

Questions for the Espin Flow 21 Owners:

1. Does the bike show you which gear your in? I know it shows the PAS, but does it show you what Chain Gear your in?
3. Want to confirm the Flows throttle can be used from a complete stop and used without pedal at all if desired.
4. if upgraded to class 3, does that mean the throttle will push through 20mph lock?
5. not a question! but thanks for helping me making my hopeful future ebike purchase!
No, unfortunately, it does not indicate what gear you're in. There may be aftermarket controllers that do that?

Don't think it can be upgraded to class 3 with the motor that comes with the bike, but I'm not an engineer do not absolutely certain.

As long as the bike is in PAS1 (as opposed to having PAS turned completely off), the throttle works immediately. From complete stop, and not pedaling at all.

You're welcome!

also seems Espin wants to sell you a Route Package Protection for $60..... are they not insuring the bike when they ship it? making us pay/choose?

Route provides protection for shipments that are lost, broken, or stolen. Add Route to your cart at checkout to enable protection.

also seems Espin wants to sell you a Route Package Protection for $60..... are they not insuring the bike when they ship it? making us pay/choose?

Route provides protection for shipments that are lost, broken, or stolen. Add Route to your cart at checkout to enable protection.
I hesitated at this too. The addition of insurance to the picture is just adding a layer of trouble it seems like, but rather than rock the boat, I bit the bullet and went with it. Not sure what others have done.

true enough, I´ve got a trailer, two in fact, not that fond of using them in traffic.

I have to say, I actually like using it in traffic. I actually get more space from cars when they're passing. But it's obviously a child trailer and not just a cargo trailer.

I hesitated at this too. The addition of insurance to the picture is just adding a layer of trouble it seems like, but rather than rock the boat, I bit the bullet and went with it. Not sure what others have done.
I did the same. Not happily, but I did it. As it turned out, the bike came quickly and had no damage, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Last edited:
It sounds like you would like a 700. It shows the gear you're in on the shifter, it's already class 3, throttle works from a complete stop in any PAS level (including 0), and it will go past 20 mph with throttle only with a sufficiently charged battery. You might like the wider tires and higher gearing as well depending on your usage.

$1299, in stock, 48v, 750w das kit motor, 15ah battery from Leoncycleusa. View attachment 93285
not a bad price if it comes with everything pictured here(racks/fenders with integrated lights),all the bikes i see using these das kit motors appear to be bargains! i cant wait to hear more feed back on the quality of these motors.

not a bad price if it comes with everything pictured here(racks/fenders with integrated lights),all the bikes i see using these das kit motors appear to be bargains! i cant wait to hear more feed back on the quality of these motors.
The fat tires would be a no-go for me, since I don't ride and or snow...I think the OP said riding would be on paved surfaces, mostly? Wonder if it's available with different tires...

Not bad and they do have a non fat tire version https://www.leoncycle.com/milano-plus-electric-city-bike

however, i know nothing of this bike, quality and there are no reviews.

I tried to check that with an email to the contact address for leoncycle, but for some reason it didn´t go
thru. They also show a phone no., but being deaf thatś useless 4 me. I can say the Das Kit motor on
my moscow just kept getting stronger over 2k mi. I´m getting 4 more miles per charge bar (11) than at 1st.
The display, which shows power use, often indicates no use if I´m pedaling in the right gear & mode even
uphill at times. Being a heavier fat bike, the ET probably won´t have a 55 mi range, but it looks like it can
haul a huge load. I wish EBR would do a review; I couldn´t really get full specs from the Leon site. Specs
are the 1st thing I go to in a review.

Not bad and they do have a non fat tire version https://www.leoncycle.com/milano-plus-electric-city-bike

however, i know nothing of this bike, quality and there are no reviews.

That seems expensive. Almost middrive eBike money. Actually, the middrive Ariel Rider M Class is cheaper than that.

@mjsusa , have you checked out the REI CTY ebikes? They are under your price point and will climb hills much better than any of the inexpensive hub drive bikes. Not only are they good bikes for the price, you're also buying the service that you'll get from so many REI locations.

That seems expensive. Almost middrive eBike money. Actually, the middrive Ariel Rider M Class is cheaper than that.

@mjsusa , have you checked out the REI CTY ebikes? They are under your price point and will climb hills much better than any of the inexpensive hub drive bikes. Not only are they good bikes for the price, you're also buying the service that you'll get from so many REI locations.

Why do you think that is expensive? $1699 in line with the Ride1up 700, Espin Flow 21 and cheaper than the Magnum Metro.

looking at the REI bikes now. thanks!

Why do you think that is expensive? $1699 in line with the Ride1up 700, Espin Flow 21 and cheaper than the Magnum Metro.

looking at the REI bikes now. thanks!

This isn't meant to knock the bike at all. Seems like a well put together kit. But it still has hub drive and although it's not indicated on the page, I'm going to assume it uses a cadence sensor instead of a torque sensor for PAS. Yes, it's less expensive than most middrive+torque sensor ebikes but if you spring for a little more money to purchase a middrive bike, the riding experience is absolutely worth it. There are other discussions for hub drive vs middrive motors that you can read up on so this may not be the thread for that. But it's good to know what the differences are especially depending on where you're riding. I ride a lot of hills and pull the kids in a trailer so a middrive is a must. It might not matter as much for your riding. I'll still urge you to actually ride as many bikes as you can just to feel how different hub vs middrive is. Even $1500 is a significant amount of money. Best of luck on the search!

I tried to check that with an email to the contact address for leoncycle, but for some reason it didn´t go
thru. They also show a phone no., but being deaf thatś useless 4 me. I can say the Das Kit motor on
my moscow just kept getting stronger over 2k mi. I´m getting 4 more miles per charge bar (11) than at 1st.
The display, which shows power use, often indicates no use if I´m pedaling in the right gear & mode even
uphill at times. Being a heavier fat bike, the ET probably won´t have a 55 mi range, but it looks like it can
haul a huge load. I wish EBR would do a review; I couldn´t really get full specs from the Leon site. Specs
are the 1st thing I go to in a review.
sweet,thats the kind of feed back i like to hear!
The fat tires would be a no-go for me, since I don't ride and or snow...I think the OP said riding would be on paved surfaces, mostly? Wonder if it's available with different tires...

yes there is a non Fat tire model on sale for $1056.00,site says its in Stock!

Back