New ebike rider from southern Utah

mmoncur

Hello,

Just bought my first ebike!

I've been riding off and on for most of my life, but just as a hobby, and the last couple of years I've been overweight and out of shape. I live in a neighborhood that is one big hill, so the prospect of riding hasn't been much fun.

I mail-ordered a 2018 Raleigh Tokul IE last week when they had them on sale. I've only put 7 miles on it with a few short rides so far, but it can definitely take me up every hill in the neighborhood! I'm still exhausted after a ride, but at least I get somewhere.

This forum has been a helpful resource while I decided which bike to buy, and I look forward to participating!

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,072
Hello,

I've been riding off and on for most of my life, but just as a hobby, and the last couple of years I've been overweight and out of shape. I live in a neighborhood that is one big hill, so the prospect of riding hasn't been much fun.

I mail-ordered a 2018 Raleigh Tokul IE last week when they had them on sale. I've only put 7 miles on it with a few short rides so far, but it can definitely take me up every hill in the neighborhood! I'm still exhausted after a ride, but at least I get somewhere.

This forum has been a helpful resource while I decided which bike to buy, and I look forward to participating!

Michael

Congrats! Good looking bike. May you have many wonderful miles.

Hello,

Michael
Congratulations! I think you’ll love it. I bought this bikes cousin, the Lore. I think they share many of the same components. I’ve had it for 2 months, ride every day I can, and really enjoy it.

Hello,

Michael
Hi New to S Utah. IHave you been "off road" yet? I was trying to join a group so I wouldn't have to ride alone (dangerous) but was told that I could not join because eMTB are not allowed on BLM or USFS trails designated for "non-motorized" only. I was just wondering if you have come across the same anti-eMTB sentiment. I live in Saint George and if you ever want to get together for a nice easy trail ride (illegally I guess), let me know.

I have a short local trail along a canal but I haven't been on any of the "real" off-road trails yet. I'm not sure what the laws are but I do know the trails in Red Cliffs Reserve don't allow e-bikes. I've mostly ridden in the city so far and the city is at least very positive toward ebikes.

Hi mmoncur,

I discovered that all BLM and US Forest Service land prohibits Ebikes on non-motorized trails. I believe that Utah State Parks allow Ebikes on their single tracks for Class I bikes only. Once I have this confirmed I will share the intel. There is a place behind my house that appears to be partially on private and BLM land. It seems to be a relatively easy trail but does have a nice incline at the start. I am planning on riding that one weekday and don't expect any issues. Unfortunately, there are great MTB trails that folks from MeetUp are riding but due to liability they are very strict on e-bike regulations. As most of the trails popular among MTB riders are on BLM or USFS land, one cannot ride with these groups. I am working on finding out if there are any good trails which allow Ebikes but am not very optimistic.

Back