New E-Biker in San Diego

eaglemike

Just chose my first E-bike, a Cannondale Contro-E Speed. I test rode several bikes before settling on this one. The people at the various Trek stores I visited were all very helpful. I tested a few bikes, the PowerFly 5, the Cross-Rip+, the police/PowerFly Speed, another I can't remember, and settled on the Cannondale. Adding a more comfortable seat made the sale. The riding position suits me the best of all of the bikes I tested. I was surprised I didn't like the Police more, as I thought by looking at the specifications it would suit me. It has only a 15 tooth front sprocket, which ended up feeling really short geared for a class 3. The Super Commuter 8 has a 20 (class 3), and the Super Commuter 7 has an 18 (class1). I think the 15 on the Police/PowerFly Speed is a mistake, at least that's how it felt to me. I need to add a spare charger, and maybe a spare battery to the Cannondale. I 'm also thinking about a suspension seat post. It's really a sweet ride. I read the posts in the Cannondale section of the forum. To be honest, I think at some point I'll piece together the perfect bike for me later. There's a lot of selection out there, but it's been difficult to find the perfect combination for me.

I'm trying to (re)gain strength and endurance after enduring treatment for triple-hit lymphoma, bone marrow cancer, and a stem cell transplant last year. I'm soon 65, and think the whole e-bike thing will be a blessing in my life. I still have some significant chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy in my feet.

I make parts for KLR650's for a living, and have ridden motorcycles for a while. I used to compete in ballroom dancing, but need to build up a fair bit before I'll be strong enough to do that again. I think building up by commuting to and from work will help me.

Please share your stories of how it's helped you - I've read many here on the forum. I spend many hours in research here before I bought. Thanks for all your sharing of knowledge and experience!
I'm really grateful for the community here.

Hi, eaglemike!
I'm looking for my first ebike and I'm already thinking of extra battery, too. What's the farthest distance you imagine yourself riding in a day?
And, have you shopped for locks yet?

Welcome aboard, @eaglemike! So glad to hear you've come out the other side of that triple-hit!
I think you'll love ebiking...! It has been transformative for me, certainly! At 49-1/2, I got my ebike (no biking prior, for 25+ years). I was 303 pounds, and far too sedentary for far too long.
I've dropped about 60 pounds since then, and can really feel how much new leg strength and stamina I've built up in these 15 months of riding (about 6,100 miles cumulative) -- I started in Mar. 2018 needing the middle-to-high levels of assist from my ebike on any rides I made for the first couple of months -- now, I routinely ride with the assist off, particularly on longer rides after work (where I can afford to get super sweaty from the harder workout.)

Welcome to the world of ebiking :) It sounds like you have overcome some major obstacles in life over the past few years. I'm glad to hear you are on the rebound and ready to get into cycling. You did a good job trying numerous bikes and settled on the best for you. That is most important. Enjoy your new bike and stay safe my fellow rider :)

Thanks very much for the welcome!
I'm looking forward to building up, and riding more without assist. Many of the bikes I tested rode very nicely without power assist, the technology is great.

Hi, eaglemike!
I'm looking for my first ebike and I'm already thinking of extra battery, too. What's the farthest distance you imagine yourself riding in a day?
And, have you shopped for locks yet?
I'm very sorry to be so slow in reply - somehow I missed your question.
The Cannondale comes with a lock. It actually has sort of a pouch on the frame, but the rear fender bracket makes it difficult to get the lock out of it's resting place. So I'm thinking about which way to go on that situation.
After riding a small bit, I'm thinking I might not really need an extra battery. I can charge during the day if I need at my shop. Part of the reason I was thinking about an extra, was in case the first went bad. Seems like there are few reports of this happening with Bosch batteries, so I'm less concerned about that at this point.
I have realized I don't like how the bike shops fit the bikes to me. I seem to end up too extended, so I'm going to experiment with lowering the seat, maybe change seat angle, etc. I'm not 100 percent sure I ended up wth the best style/ overall geometery for me, but I'm going to work with this a while and see how much better I can make everything fit and work.
all the best,
Mike

Last edited:
Just chose my first E-bike, a Cannondale Contro-E Speed. I test rode several bikes before settling on this one. The people at the various Trek stores I visited were all very helpful. I tested a few bikes, the PowerFly 5, the Cross-Rip+, the police/PowerFly Speed, another I can't remember, and settled on the Cannondale. Adding a more comfortable seat made the sale. The riding position suits me the best of all of the bikes I tested. I was surprised I didn't like the Police more, as I thought by looking at the specifications it would suit me. It has only a 15 tooth front sprocket, which ended up feeling really short geared for a class 3. The Super Commuter 8 has a 20 (class 3), and the Super Commuter 7 has an 18 (class1). I think the 15 on the Police/PowerFly Speed is a mistake, at least that's how it felt to me. I need to add a spare charger, and maybe a spare battery to the Cannondale. I 'm also thinking about a suspension seat post. It's really a sweet ride. I read the posts in the Cannondale section of the forum. To be honest, I think at some point I'll piece together the perfect bike for me later. There's a lot of selection out there, but it's been difficult to find the perfect combination for me.

I'm trying to (re)gain strength and endurance after enduring treatment for triple-hit lymphoma, bone marrow cancer, and a stem cell transplant last year. I'm soon 65, and think the whole e-bike thing will be a blessing in my life. I still have some significant chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy in my feet.

I make parts for KLR650's for a living, and have ridden motorcycles for a while. I used to compete in ballroom dancing, but need to build up a fair bit before I'll be strong enough to do that again. I think building up by commuting to and from work will help me.

Please share your stories of how it's helped you - I've read many here on the forum. I spend many hours in research here before I bought. Thanks for all your sharing of knowledge and experience!
I'm really grateful for the community here.

Congrats on your ebike purchase and more importantly, your health improvement from a tough challenge.
For me, I simply tend to ride longer and farther on the ebike than with a non-powerful bike. And the best part is I’m not as tired as I would be on a regular bike. Still have energy for doing other responsibilities.
Many happy miles to you and continued health improvements.

Thanks for sharing Mike, you have an incredible story! Happy that you are apart of this amazing community. We're based in Mission Beach so hopefully we will see you riding around!

I'm very sorry to be so slow in reply - somehow I missed your question.
The Cannondale comes with a lock. It actually has sort of a pouch on the frame, but the rear fender bracket makes it difficult to get the lock out of it's resting place. So I'm thinking about which way to go on that situation.
After riding a small bit, I'm thinking I might not really need an extra battery. I can charge during the day if I need at my shop. Part of the reason I was thinking about an extra, was in case the first went bad. Seems like there are few reports of this happening with Bosch batteries, so I'm less concerned about that at this point.
I have realized I don't like how the bike shops fit the bikes to me. I seem to end up too extended, so I'm going to experiment with lowering the seat, maybe change seat angle, etc. I'm not 100 percent sure I ended up wth the best style/ overall geometery for me, but I'm going to work with this a while and see how much better I can make everything fit and work.
all the best,
Mike

EagleMike,
I'm kind of in a similar position regarding bike fitting. I can't have weight on my slightly disabled wrist so I prefer to be more upright position than the stretched out position that bike shops recommend. As a result, I have always switched out the front stem on all my bikes. Have been doing it for years and it helps to bring the handlebars back and upwards. Something to consider as you get more miles on your bike.
And a suspension seat post made a HUGE difference as far as adding comfort.

Back