New e-bike user in France

Languedoc cyclist

Hi, I live in southern France (Languedoc) and have had my e-bike for about a month now. It's an Orbea Gain D130 and I love it. I've been a serious road cyclist since 1983. We live in what I think is about the best area in the world for cycling - it's why we chose to move here from Canada after many self-guided bike trips to France and other countries in Europe.
The most beautiful routes here involve climbing; my two favourites are just under 50 km, but the elevation gain is almost 1000 metres and, after getting heat stroke last summer, I didn't think I'd be able to do either of the two routes again. I resisted getting an e-bike out of of pride, but gave in when I saw photos and a review of the Orbea Gain. Mine is at the low end of their line and is the 2018 model. I ordered it from a shop in Spain and got what I think is a great price (just over 2000€ plus 19€ delivery).
It's easy to use and to charge, rolls beautifully, the gears change smoothly, it's lighter than a lot of e-bikes, is attractive (not obviously an e-bike) and I get as good a workout as I want. Good news for my OH is that he doesn't have to wait for me any more - or push me so he can get a workout himself. He's back riding his beloved Cannondale and we can go wherever we want. The battery charges quickly and holds its power for as long as I need it to. I haven't had to go above the lowest level of power yet, but probably will when we do the two routes with the big climbs. I'll be able to ride with younger, stronger friends - I'm a convert!

Attachments

• My new bike.jpg
    My new bike.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 339
Hi, I live in southern France (Languedoc) and have had my e-bike for about a month now. It's an Orbea Gain D130 and I love it. I've been a serious road cyclist since 1983. We live in what I think is about the best area in the world for cycling - it's why we chose to move here from Canada after many self-guided bike trips to France and other countries in Europe.
The most beautiful routes here involve climbing; my two favourites are just under 50 km, but the elevation gain is almost 1000 metres and, after getting heat stroke last summer, I didn't think I'd be able to do either of the two routes again. I resisted getting an e-bike out of of pride, but gave in when I saw photos and a review of the Orbea Gain. Mine is at the low end of their line and is the 2018 model. I ordered it from a shop in Spain and got what I think is a great price (just over 2000€ plus 19€ delivery).
It's easy to use and to charge, rolls beautifully, the gears change smoothly, it's lighter than a lot of e-bikes, is attractive (not obviously an e-bike) and I get as good a workout as I want. Good news for my OH is that he doesn't have to wait for me any more - or push me so he can get a workout himself. He's back riding his beloved Cannondale and we can go wherever we want. The battery charges quickly and holds its power for as long as I need it to. I haven't had to go above the lowest level of power yet, but probably will when we do the two routes with the big climbs. I'll be able to ride with younger, stronger friends - I'm a convert!

Lovely bike, same as one in my LBS last week, been prepared. First opportunity you get though? I would ditch those Kenda tyres, you will notice improved performance and comfort. Enjoy, the bike and France.

Lovely bike, same as one in my LBS last week, been prepared. First opportunity you get though? I would ditch those Kenda tyres, you will notice improved performance and comfort. Enjoy, the bike and France.
Really? They're working well - can't believe how smooth the ride is! I have top-of-the-line Michelins on my Specialized road bike (a lot narrower, of course) and I swear I'm getting a better ride on the Kenda tires/tyres. No problem enjoying the cycling here - we've lived in Languedoc for 20 years as of tomorrow!

After 2 months of riding my Orbea e-bike, I'm more in love with it than ever. I've done a few longish rides, with almost 1000 m. elevation gain and returned home with lots of battery to spare. It's a very comfortable bike to ride and great on the descents (I don't use power for descents or on the flats). I very rarely need to use the second level of power.

Back