New Creo2

Watana Bob

Region
USA
A few photos of my new Creo2 that I have had for a few weeks. I have not ridden a drop bar bike much in the last 20 years so it has taken me a few rides to get used to it again. I love the light weight and power of this bike, I was a little concerned with my muscle issues that I would struggle on the hills but so far I‘ve not had to use turbo mode at all. Battery burn is better than I had anticipated, did a 34 mile ride and used 56% of the battery, but that ride only had 700 ft of elevation gain. Unfortunately our season will be coming to an end in about 3 weeks, already had frost a couple of mornings, normally have snow about October 15. But it will sure be pretty to stare at all winter😄
I have not posted pictures before so I’m not sure how sizing will work out.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 79
A few photos of my new Creo2 that I have had for a few weeks. I have not ridden a drop bar bike much in the last 20 years so it has taken me a few rides to get used to it again. I love the light weight and power of this bike, I was a little concerned with my muscle issues that I would struggle on the hills but so far I‘ve not had to use turbo mode at all. Battery burn is better than I had anticipated, did a 34 mile ride and used 56% of the battery, but that ride only had 700 ft of elevation gain. Unfortunately our season will be coming to an end in about 3 weeks, already had frost a couple of mornings, normally have snow about October 15. But it will sure be pretty to stare at all winter😄
I have not posted pictures before so I’m not sure how sizing will work out.
Gorgeous bike! If the Creo 2 Comp came with flat bars, I would have bought one instead of the Vado SL 5.0. Hope you get in lots of rides before the weather turns.

Gorgeous bike! If the Creo 2 Comp came with flat bars, I would have bought one instead of the Vado SL 5.0. Hope you get in lots of rides before the weather turns.
Thank you Jeremy, yes I too would prefer a flat bar bike, but the 15 nm difference was the deciding factor with my diminished physical condition. I'm sure Specialized will eventually put the 1.2 motor in the Vado SL, but unfortunately my timeline doesn't offer the luxury of waiting for this.
I will probably put some Speedrocker fenders on this winter and possibly an Ortleib Quick Rack (thank you Stefan) The LBS set up the tires tubeless for me at no charge, they roll great at 40 psi. I will also install a Redshift seat post this winter also. This bike was not my favorite color, but it was the only one available so had to roll with it.
Overall, I'm still buzzing on the new bike high like yourself:)

I have a Creo SL Expert with 14000 miles and just got a Creo 2 E5 now with about 400 miles. I have the the fit set up the same as much as possible between the two but the E5 is still a little more upright. The Creo 2 E5 has slightly different geometry than a carbon Creo 2 and will be easy to convert a flat bar. The rear derailieur is X-shift so just need to add a lever shifter instead of replacing everthing. The Specialized SL system is modular so the swich from a Vado SL will plug into a Creo. It's currently one of the best values in their lineup.

Yes Vado assist selector on mine and XT brake levers which work perfectly with grx calipers. I have just converted a Pinarello to flat bar as well, I just find lightweight nimble short wheel based bikes so much better to ride.

an Ortleib Quick Rack (thank you Stefan)
Bob: Is your Creo 2 a carbon or aluminium one? Please be very careful what you install on a carbon bike! (For instance, Quick Rack is incompatible with carbon frames but the Tailfin is).

Regarding the suspension seat-post, consider if you really need it. Tubeless wheels run at low pressure ensure a lot of compliance! Depending on carbon or aluminium frame, you could also consider a special "split" carbon seatpost that ensures a lot of compliance without using any springs.

I case the frame is carbon, ask @Prairie Dog or @Dazmanturbo.

Bob: Is your Creo 2 a carbon or aluminium one? Please be very careful what you install on a carbon bike! (For instance, Quick Rack is incompatible with carbon frames but the Tailfin is).

Regarding the suspension seat-post, consider if you really need it. Tubeless wheels run at low pressure ensure a lot of compliance! Depending on carbon or aluminium frame, you could also consider a special "split" carbon seatpost that ensures a lot of compliance without using any springs.

I case the frame is carbon, ask @Prairie Dog or @Dazmanturbo.
- It's an aluminum E5 by the color and you can see the welds.

The Specialized SL system is modular so the swich from a Vado SL will plug into a Creo.
Thanks for the information on the conversion Allan. I thought the 1.2 was slightly different physically (maybe wiring harnesses also) from the 1.1, so Vado remote may not be compatible. Although I think the Levo SL uses the 1.2 so maybe that remote might be plug and play if the wiring is long enough. Did you end up having to cut brake hoses or install new ones?
Stefan, yes this is the cheap aluminum frame Creo. Thanks for your input on seat suspension

Stefan, yes this is the cheap aluminum frame Creo.
Then no worries. Ortlieb Quick Rack, SKS Speedrockers, and even a Redshift suspension seatpost if you really need it (in my opinion, a suspension seat-post on a tubeless gravel e-bike is an overkill!)
My opinion is converting a drop handlebar to a flat one is completely unnecessary as long as you are happy riding in the hoods...

Regarding the suspension seat-post, consider if you really need it. Tubeless wheels run at low pressure ensure a lot of compliance!
A suspension seat post was Plan A for my aluminum Vado SL 5 with the FutureShock 1.5 stem and carbon fork. But after a week with the stock 38 mm tubed tires at 50-65 psi on many different surfaces, found myself seriously questioning that.

Of course, the Creo could be a different story. But after the last 3 days with 38 mm tubeless tires on many different surfaces at under 40 psi, Plan A's on hold indefinitely.

If that ever changes, I'll be eyeing that split carbon seat post. Such an elegant solution!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the conversion Allan. I thought the 1.2 was slightly different physically (maybe wiring harnesses also) from the 1.1, so Vado remote may not be compatible. Although I think the Levo SL uses the 1.2 so maybe that remote might be plug and play if the wiring is long enough. Did you end up having to cut brake hoses or install new ones?
Stefan, yes this is the cheap aluminum frame Creo. Thanks for your input on seat suspension
The Creo 2 E5 max tire is 47mm vs the 2.2" on the Creo 2 full carbon models. The fork on the E5 is carbon but I think it's the same as the Vado SL 5.0 fork so it limits tire clearance.

I did a little more involved mechanical to eTap conversion not a flat bar. SRAM is more compatible between flat bar and drop bar components than Shimano, so 'all' you would need is a left shifter, flat bar, a couple of brake levers (only come with calipers) and a S216800019 Specialized E-Bike Trail Remote 2. Looks like the SRAM S-300 flat bar levers with calipers are the same as the Apex so you may want to just switch the shifters. I don't know if the hoses will need to be altered for too short or too long. I use a Cirrus Kinnect seat post on both bikes. The aluminum frame is not quite as compliant as the carbon frame version but with the suspension seat post and 48mm tires I don't really notice it.

Stefan……Bob: Is your Creo 2 a carbon or aluminium one? Please be very careful what you install on a carbon bike! (For instance, Quick Rack is incompatible with carbon frames but the Tailfin is.
Are you sure on this. I’ve been using my quick rack on my carbon Creo for tours. As you know the rack comes with adapters that screw into the mudguard/rack threads and the rack clips onto those. As long as the rack load is within the Specialized specifications there shouldn’t be a problem (in my view anyway). But you usually have a more detailed understanding than me 😊.

Are you sure on this. I’ve been using my quick rack on my carbon Creo for tours. As you know the rack comes with adapters that screw into the mudguard/rack threads and the rack clips onto those. As long as the rack load is within the Specialized specifications there shouldn’t be a problem (in my view anyway). But you usually have a more detailed understanding than me 😊.
I was wrong.
'Can be used on carbon seatposts and carbon frames with M5 or M6 rack eyelets' is what Ortlieb says about it. I was recently discussing rear-racks with a friend who wanted to buy a carbon Specialized Diverge (that has no rack eyelets), and simply forgot Creo 2 had such eyelets. (Ortlieb forbids installing the QR on carbon seat-stays). I apologize for the confusion!

The Creo 2 E5 max tire is 47mm vs the 2.2" on the Creo 2 full carbon models. The fork on the E5 is carbon but I think it's the same as the Vado SL 5.0 fork so it limits tire clearance.

I did a little more involved mechanical to eTap conversion not a flat bar. SRAM is more compatible between flat bar and drop bar components than Shimano, so 'all' you would need is a left shifter, flat bar, a couple of brake levers (only come with calipers) and a S216800019 Specialized E-Bike Trail Remote 2. Looks like the SRAM S-300 flat bar levers with calipers are the same as the Apex so you may want to just switch the shifters. I don't know if the hoses will need to be altered for too short or too long. I use a Cirrus Kinnect seat post on both bikes. The aluminum frame is not quite as compliant as the carbon frame version but with the suspension seat post and 48mm tires I don't really notice it.

so 'all' you would need is a left shifter, flat bar, a couple of brake levers (only come with calipers) and a S216800019 Specialized E-Bike Trail Remote 2.
I looked at the link for the remote and it shows compatibility with the Creo SL but doesn't show Creo 2, might fit, i'd have to check with LBS if I decide to go flat bar. Thank you Allan for sharing your experience and suggestions.

I looked at the link for the remote and it shows compatibility with the Creo SL but doesn't show Creo 2, might fit, i'd have to check with LBS if I decide to go flat bar. Thank you Allan for sharing your experience and suggestions.
If you pull the trigger, I'd love to hear what the conversion ends up costing you all told — and what did and didn't have to be replaced in the end.

The service manager at the LBS where I bought my Vado SL guessed $500 or so to convert the Creo 2 Comp, parts and labor. But gotchas always come up, and it's only a question of how bad the cost overrun will be.

I love the light weight...
Same here with the Vado SL. After 2 years on a 70 lb hub-drive and ~25 yrs away from cycling before that, I'm rediscovering the joys and advantages of a bike under 40 lb loaded. Loving the nimble handling, of course, but also the abilty to just pick it up and put it where I want it at will.

One benefit I didn't see coming: Lots of big intersections with very long lights here. If there are no cars behind me in my lane, the green light I need to get through may never get triggered.

So I have ride up onto the sidewalk to hit the crosswalk button — which almost always leaves me pointed in the wrong direction. On the heavy hub-drive, that often means either (a) an awkward N-point turn in a tight space, or (b) getting off and muscling it around.

But I can just pick up the SL and spin it around in place without ever getting off. Revolutionary!

Even though Specialized advertises it as a Creo 2 all of the UL certification paperwork lists it as a Creo SL. The top bar even has a "Creo SL" decal. The part numbers of the trail remotes have periodically changed because they have changed sub-suppliers but the specification did not change. I think the shop estimate is a about right. I spent more on my conversion because I am new to SRAM and ordered the parts separately. Later I found a SRAM "mullet" OEM groupset that would have been about one third cheaper. A shop will know their sources.

A lot of your rack questions can be answered in the Creo 2 Rider Workbook or on the support site. It has a lot of photos and examples. They also refer to a "Turbo Studio Knowledge Base" that is available to the dealer (if you can convince them to look at it).

The support site also lists the parts for seat post clamps. Again there are application photos in the Rider Workbook.
S224700010 STC 31.8MM SEATPOST CLAMP, BOLT-ON COLLAR (V2) OE Spec for Carbon models - edited note you need to do a google search to find one with a rack mount
S184700001 STC 30.6MM SEATPOST CLAMP, BOLT-ON COLLAR, W/ RACK MOUNTS OE Spec for Alloy models

Last edited:
Back