New Como 5.0 Rock Shock fork not working

GuruUno

Just sharing, not complaining.......yet.
On. a recent ride with my wife we both took our new 2022 Como 5.0 out for a few hours.
However, I did notice her suspension fork was not working, with zero capability to get any rebound regardless of lever positions, air pressure, etc.
Took the bike back to the LBS a few days ago, and they too could not get it to work, it operated solid like a fixed fork.
The LBS tells me that SRAM (who owns Rock Shox) asked to remove it from the bike and ship it to them to attempt a repair.
If unsuccessful they will replace it, they say.
I guess my concern is I did not notice it for a week or two since picking up the bike and am bewildered that the out-of-the-box LBS build-up did not have a "checklist" to follow when they set it up for delivery.
And, given it is a brand new bike why they just don't replace the fork.
Oh well, hopefully, it will be resolved in a timely manner.

Just sharing, not complaining.......yet.
On. a recent ride with my wife we both took our new 2022 Como 5.0 out for a few hours.
However, I did notice her suspension fork was not working, with zero capability to get any rebound regardless of lever positions, air pressure, etc.
Took the bike back to the LBS a few days ago, and they too could not get it to work, it operated solid like a fixed fork.
The LBS tells me that SRAM (who owns Rock Shox) asked to remove it from the bike and ship it to them to attempt a repair.
If unsuccessful they will replace it, they say.
I guess my concern is I did not notice it for a week or two since picking up the bike and am bewildered that the out-of-the-box LBS build-up did not have a "checklist" to follow when they set it up for delivery.
And, given it is a brand new bike why they just don't replace the fork.
Oh well, hopefully, it will be resolved in a timely manner.
Same thing happened to me with a recently purchased Vado 5 2022. The shop on assembly noticed it was not functioning and they were also told to remove and to send to Scram. As it turns out they tap the braised on fender lug after it’s on and they actually taped in to the piston and that’s why nothing was moving. Yes very weird!!!

LBS informed me that Sram has not received the fork as of yet.
I complained to Rider Care.
I should not be expected on a brand new delivered bike to be inconvenienced while they figure out what is wrong with the fork.
Send a new fork damn it.
less than 30 days old and I need to be inconvenienced because the LBS did not do a thorough check out of the bike prior to delivery.
Just saying.
I might accept the process if it was 6 months in, still in the 2-year warranty period, but really?

Just my experience, but my bike shop was told by SCRAM that the SILVER version of the rock shark is not imported into this country so it would take a matter of months to get one sent from whatever foreign country makes this particular fork. So what SCRAM did was hand built a GOLD version of the same fork, it has 100 mm of travel instead of 80 but doesn’t seem to change the head angle at all. It’s a more expensive and far superior fork so I could not be happier that I was involved in this fork “defect” episode. Whole thing only took probably a week and a half or so. I personally am one happy camper!!

So, moving into 12+ days after the fact, 3 calls to RIder I Don't Care, 2 to the LBS, and 1 to SRAM, they only got the fork 2 days ago!!!!
THey'll need 4-7 days to "rebuild it" or make a decision on how to proceed, then.....3-5 days to ship it back.
So, brand new bike, defective fork, will be about 1 month of unavailability of the new bike, no loaners, no recourse, no resolve, other than to wait.
Sure, these are the best of the best bikes, but hey, come on, really?

So, moving into 12+ days after the fact, 3 calls to RIder I Don't Care, 2 to the LBS, and 1 to SRAM, they only got the fork 2 days ago!!!!
THey'll need 4-7 days to "rebuild it" or make a decision on how to proceed, then.....3-5 days to ship it back.
So, brand new bike, defective fork, will be about 1 month of unavailability of the new bike, no loaners, no recourse, no resolve, other than to wait.
Unfortunately this is the way the new world works. Sad but true. Great service has gone by the waste side, for the most part. I find in these situations that you basically have to manage it and consistently push things thru. Hope you get your fork back soon.

Its the LBS that should be providing you with the service you expect - they should have given you a loan bike to see you through (but that is just my opinion!)

They offered a non-electric bike, my wife is the one who wants a comparable somewhat equal loaner (electric), as it is her bike.
Rider Care specifically stated, "we do not offer loaners", whereas the LBS said, "we don't have any electric loaners".

Its the LBS that should be providing you with the service you expect - they should have given you a loan bike to see you through (but that is just my opinion!)
I don't really know who should step up but someone SHOULD. They sold a new bike that was not fit for its intended purpose. Now unfortunately warranties in the US and/or States are not always the best. But they should find another bike in the system and provide it and fix the other bike and sell "like new"! Yes, I know about supply chain (or supply belt) issues but there's got to be another bike someone in their system. What, sell a bike and maybe provide a fix in one month or two months or three or .... Or I guess return the purchase price.

That's my customer-centric view.

Wait for a couple of days. Guru will come back, report everything was solved to his satisfaction, and his convincing power made Specialized act :)
That's GuruUno.

Damn! How comes my Specialized e-bikes do work as intended?! Perhaps because I buy e-bikes for riding them not for looking for the problems with them? It seems there is a kind of people hated by them e-bikes. Guru must be a specimen :D There has been not a single e-bike Guru used to own that was problem-free, starting from Trek :)

Sorry for my little rant.

If a fork is suppose to spring/move/bounce and it does NOT, that is with the bike manufacturer or fork manufacturer. It should be made right in a reasonable amount of time and frankly, for a new bike, a month is not reasonable. Give them a new bike or fix it quickly. Where the heck was the quality control?

If a fork is suppose to spring/move/bounce and it does NOT, that is with the bike manufacturer or fork manufacturer. It should be made right in a reasonable amount of time and frankly, for a new bike, a month is not reasonable. Give them a new bike or fix it quickly. Where the heck was the quality control?
I agree with a reasonable time frame in responding to the issue should take place. Also, I think it is extremely important to test ride a bike prior to cash exchange and make sure everything is working. Ever since Covid parts replacement has been a big issue as well as service. You have to light a fire under people now days to have some since of urgency.

Wait for a couple of days. Guru will come back, report everything was solved to his satisfaction, and his convincing power made Specialized act :)
That's GuruUno.

Damn! How comes my Specialized e-bikes do work as intended?! Perhaps because I buy e-bikes for riding them not for looking for the problems with them? It seems there is a kind of people hated by them e-bikes. Guru must be a specimen :D There has been not a single e-bike Guru used to own that was problem-free, starting from Trek :)

Sorry for my little rant.
This is LIFE dear Stefan.

Well....pushing 2 weeks on the new Como 5.0 still being unrepaired.
I contacted SRAM directly, and they say it's still on the bench, the fork is damaged, and they are not sure if it was during the manufacturing or building of the bike at the LBS. They think during the build, as the fender screw is puncturing the device and it is locked.
Regardless, 4 phone calls, zero resolution, I have to do the investigations, LBS managers don't follow up, call back, or keep me informed, so I ask for them to take the fork off of another stock Vado/Como (Rider Care). They say it's up to the LBS.
We shall see how this plays out. Since it was an online/web purchase and shipped to the LBS, seems like it's a hot potato and nobody wants to own it.
Just keeping all informed of the "New Specialized".

Bummer! It's very unfortunate that SRAM doesn't send you out a new fork. You know they have to have them sitting in stock.

Well, somewhat of a bummer. Rider Care (Nathan) called me today and asked me to sell out. Leave Specialized. Buy all my bikes back. They cannot handle the inquiries (and/or issues~complaints) that I've generated via "Rider I Don't Care". Awaiting that process/offer. As well as the LBS. (mind you, the LBS received the bike from a web purchase, shipped to them, put together by them (built)), and they too are at their wit's end.
However, I truly LOVE the brand, care NOT to go back to Trek, care NOT to go to a 70+ lb. R&M, or sub-standard 'other' brand, so my dilemma.
It's not about me complaining, it's about the non-resolve of the continuous inquiries and non-response from RC + LBS, as they make the statement I've made too many complaints.
MY ISSUE is they next to NEVER respond, reply, or address any inquiry.
WHY then should I NOT convey my experience for others to be alerted to their practices?
I'm not interested in jumping brands, I'm totally happy with the Specialized brand, BUT, I'm not happy with the level of support from the LBS or RC.
So by me expressing my ongoing issues, that makes me a person they want to buy out?
I am very, very confused.
Maybe "Pope Stefan" has his wisdom contribution.
It's not a matter of winning or losing, it's a matter of the Mother Ship resolving its problems.
It cannot be any crazier than this.
20+ "new" Rider Care reps, they all "know me" according to Nathan", and avoid answering or responding.
Now that is cause for concern.
Not to re-hash old stuff, but hey, come on, are you kidding?
I'm sure those of you in these forums read these posts, but it's about 'Customer Service', a screwed-up fork, and they are unhappy with my continuous inquiries?
(2+ weeks, no communication....what was I supposed to do, wait for a month and ask in the middle of a snow storm)?

Well, somewhat of a bummer. Rider Care (Nathan) called me today and asked me to sell out. Leave Specialized. Buy all my bikes back. They cannot handle the inquiries (and/or issues~complaints) that I've generated via "Rider I Don't Care". Awaiting that process/offer. As well as the LBS. (mind you, the LBS received the bike from a web purchase, shipped to them, put together by them (built)), and they too are at their wit's end.
However, I truly LOVE the brand, care NOT to go back to Trek, care NOT to go to a 70+ lb. R&M, or sub-standard 'other' brand, so my dilemma.
It's not about me complaining, it's about the non-resolve of the continuous inquiries and non-response from RC + LBS, as they make the statement I've made too many complaints.
MY ISSUE is they next to NEVER respond, reply, or address any inquiry.
WHY then should I NOT convey my experience for others to be alerted to their practices?
I'm not interested in jumping brands, I'm totally happy with the Specialized brand, BUT, I'm not happy with the level of support from the LBS or RC.
So by me expressing my ongoing issues, that makes me a person they want to buy out?
I am very, very confused.
Maybe "Pope Stefan" has his wisdom contribution.
It's not a matter of winning or losing, it's a matter of the Mother Ship resolving its problems.
It cannot be any crazier than this.
20+ "new" Rider Care reps, they all "know me" according to Nathan", and avoid answering or responding.
Now that is cause for concern.
Not to re-hash old stuff, but hey, come on, are you kidding?
I'm sure those of you in these forums read these posts, but it's about 'Customer Service', a screwed-up fork, and they are unhappy with my continuous inquiries?
(2+ weeks, no communication....what was I supposed to do, wait for a month and ask in the middle of a snow storm)?

If the LBS wants rid of you permanently as you're implying, they played it stupid. If they had ignored you for another week you would have 'sold out'. Instead - they upped the drama with the offer and you're hooked even more. And when you keep repeating that you love a brand that's caused you nothing but misery imo makes you either a sucker, stupid or you just love being a malcontent.

I actually wish you the best. I understand it's hard to be without a bike in the summer. But you just upped the ante so now it's 'your bad'. And I also remember you said in a prior post that you were the sole reason Specy revamped their customer care. How's that going for you? :)

If the LBS wants rid of you permanently as you're implying, they played it stupid. If they had ignored you for another week you would have 'sold out'. Instead - they upped the drama with the offer and you're hooked even more. And when you keep repeating that you love a brand that's caused you nothing but misery imo makes you either a sucker, stupid or you just love being a malcontent.

I actually wish you the best. I understand it's hard to be without a bike in the summer. But you just upped the ante so now it's 'your bad'. And I also remember you said in a prior post that you were the sole reason Specy revamped their customer care. How's that going for you? :)
The brand is superior, but the support sucks.

Back