New Como 5.0 Rock Shock fork not working

Bummer! It's very unfortunate that SRAM doesn't send you out a new fork. You know they have to have them sitting in stock.
Yes, but now it seems they are finger pointing. Poor assembly, perhaps. Still, the customer should not be screwed.

Unfortunately, it's an odd course of events.
Perhaps, for those who may care to or wish to know why or understand my decision to embrace the brand; my sampling of various e-bikes has landed me in the Specialized arena because of my level of satisfaction. Period. However, that does not mean that I should unconditionally accept faults or problems that I discover or am exposed to simply because I like them and I should have not have to be frustrated because of my persistence to make inquiries regarding anything I have questions about, and whether I feel that the LBS has sufficiently assist me in fulfilling those queries, I should not be thwarted from contacting the higher level of support that is associated with the purchase of a Specialized product.
However, I'm told by Rider Care that I ask too many questions.
Well, excuse my ignorance. I'm not a "motor-head" with e-bikes (as an analogy to being a car nut....which I am), and only being reintroduced to the entire 'ride a bike' lifestyle as of 2017. 5 years in, and I'm sure that all the YouTube videos and help offered by forums like these are the only places I can get assistance and help have tremendously helped me gain a higher level of knowledge (i.e., doing things by myself without having to rely upon others to do it for me as an example).
Unfortunately, not everything is out there and with the technology being so specific to each brand of an e-bike, it is a learning experience, to say the least.
With that said, I only want to make it clear that I do love the brand, and just like a lot of other examples in life that can be referenced to make it known, new technology has learning curves, and even the LBS with limited employee knowledge doesn't know everything, hence the reaching out to Rider Care. After all, why do they even exist? To tell the customer that they should go to the LBS?
The bottom line is my disappointment is only with the level of support (or I should emphasize the lack of support) that is offered by Specialized.
They can tell me they don't wish for me to be a customer because I have too many questions and I feel I may be adding to a negative vibe that they don't want to be publicized.......whatever it may be, as a consumer I have every right to make any manufacture of any product to be alerted to problems or ask questions prior to, during and/or after the purchase.
If not, then I am the ignorant fool.
I apologize to any or all that may feel that I am bashing or using these means here on this forum for ill purposes. I am not.
This month, I discovered a defective fork on a newly acquired Como 5.0, and nobody for over 2 weeks communicated with me as to anything.
I should not complain?
I only hope that in hindsight, anyone who may be considering the purchase of a Specialized brand e-bike has the ability to peruse these forums for all the positive and negative to help them understand the company they are dealing with.

I inquired as to the status of the defective RockShock today, the manager of the LBS respond to my inquiry as follows:
"You’re welcome to call SRAM again. It's not a Specialized or Hilltop issue.
Thanks"
(Hilltop is the chain of bicycle shops that was recently purchased by Specialized and are now "company-owned" Specialized shops)
Now, tell me, opinions?

I inquired as to the status of the defective RockShock today, the manager of the LBS respond to my inquiry as follows:
"You’re welcome to call SRAM again. It's not a Specialized or Hilltop issue.
Thanks"
(Hilltop is the chain of bicycle shops that was recently purchased by Specialized and are now "company-owned" Specialized shops)
Now, tell me, opinions?

I think you should call them everyday at 10 to bitch.

Well, anyway, just to keep the record straight and to let ALL who consider making a buy from Specialized, I'll continue to share the saga.

Here goes:
My inquiry as a follow-up to the continued delay, I sent an e-mail to the LBS manager(s) as well as Rider Care. In blue font:
Thank you for the delayed reply (from the several days/weeks since leaving the bike with your shop), but unfortunately, I’m in a bit of a quandary as to your response.
A new bike, with a manufacturer’s warranty, that may have been ‘built’ with an erroneous procedure or result of a manufacturing defect by one of the suppliers of the parts utilized to manufacture and deliver the Specialized product is not my responsibility to own the process of resolving an issue of defective parts or anything regarding the operation, build or endurance of said product(s).
Please clarify the reply you have provided, as it is not my responsibility to contact the suppliers or sub-contractors of the product I have purchased. Your shop (as well as any Specialized dealer) is the responsible party for rectifying the issue, not me.
Please provide me an exact direction that you are indicating that you wish me to follow.
Nathan from “Rider I Don’t Care,” said he wanted to ‘fire’ me and buy me out. Not something I wish to do.
That is not the direction I wish to go, as I have zero issues with the overall product, but if I have invested over $25,000 in Specialized products and you are telling me that as a Specialized dealer it is not the responsibility of the dealer to address any problems after the purchase, then please clarify the exact wording so that I can address the issue with the expectation of resolving the overall immediate as well as any future items that may arise.

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

The reply: in Red font)
Well, let’s start by addressing (Rider Care) correctly. Let’s also appreciate the fact that you are the only Turbo rider in the entire world that has had an issue with the RockShox fork that comes standard on the Como 5.0. What hilltop and Specialized are not going to do is give you a replacement bike for the one you have in for warranty. We will also not strip another bike of its components to replace the one you have in for warranty. Now, this is not going to be acceptable within your expectations but it is the reality. Hopefully, SRAM can repair the damage to the fork. To reiterate, you will not get the bike back until SRAM sends either repaired or replacement fork back to Hilltop Bikes Cranford. I hope this response is able to quell any confusion you have regarding this matter.

And the beat goes on.

Just curious, has ANYBODY ELSE in the entire 'Specialized' world had an experience where their product was lacking or defective and you were told to go pound salt?

Oh well, live and learn, I found this on their site:

I have a warranty issue with a non-Specialized component on a Specialized bike. What should I do?​

"3rd party" components (e.g. SRAM or Shimano) are warrantied directly by that manufacturer. Separate warranty information for these parts should have been included with your bike when you purchased it. Contact your nearest Authorized Specialized Retailer for assistance.

But, it's still really good to know that the LBS has my back.

you are the only Turbo rider in the entire world that has had an issue
To be very honest, Guru, you are the only Turbo rider in the world to experience as many issues as you describe :) SRAM will eventually repair your fork or deliver a new one. No point in bitching on Hilltop or Specialized.

When I gave my Giant Trance E+ to my brother, a vital part in the rear hub of the e-bike broke (I cannot name the part). Jacek brought the bike to the Giant dealer together with the warranty. At first, the dealer tried to say the bike had been out of warranty already but Jacek told the guy it was an e-bike with a two-year warranty, which the guy understood. (My brother -- who is indeed my first cousin -- bears the same last name as mine, so there was no talk about the "second owner"). The Trance was taken in.

It turned out that because Giant wanted to use advanced parts, the specific part of the Shimano hub designed for 12-speed 10-50T cassette was in scarcity (you could not buy it in the aftermarket at that time). The LBS talked to Shimano Polska and sent them the rear wheel. After a couple of weeks, the repaired wheel was sent back to the LBS, and Jacek rides the Trance even on this day.

Guru: That will be personal. You seem to be a person who can see people and organizations around you as enemies. You are also missing patience. It does not work. If you were an easy-going, optimistic and happy person, your e-bikes would have worked as intended. It looks e-bikes hate you though.

Imagine a new user reading the Specialized subforum: There are plethora of threads created by you that give the impression Specialized Turbo e-bikes are just a crap. In reality, Specialized Turbo e-bikes are one of the best and most modern e-bikes you can find out in the market. You are surrounded by a huge number of happy Turbo riders. However, you, a single individual are creating the most unpleasant image of the brand.

Get a life. Ride on.

Your issues with the Rock Shox fork will eventually be resolved.

To be very honest, Guru, you are the only Turbo rider in the world to experience as many issues as you describe :) SRAM will eventually repair your fork or deliver a new one. No point in bitching on Hilltop or Specialized.

When I gave my Giant Trance E+ to my brother, a vital part in the rear hub of the e-bike broke (I cannot name the part). Jacek brought the bike to the Giant dealer together with the warranty. At first, the dealer tried to say the bike had been out of warranty already but Jacek told the guy it was an e-bike with a two-year warranty, which the guy understood. (My brother -- who is indeed my first cousin -- bears the same last name as mine, so there was no talk about the "second owner"). The Trance was taken in.

It turned out that because Giant wanted to use advanced parts, the specific part of the Shimano hub designed for 12-speed 10-50T cassette was in scarcity (you could not buy it in the aftermarket at that time). The LBS talked to Shimano Polska and sent them the rear wheel. After a couple of weeks, the repaired wheel was sent back to the LBS, and Jacek rides the Trance even on this day.

Guru: That will be personal. You seem to be a person who can see people and organizations around you as enemies. You are also missing patience. It does not work. If you were an easy-going, optimistic and happy person, your e-bikes would have worked as intended. It looks e-bikes hate you though.

Imagine a new user reading the Specialized subforum: There are plethora of threads created by you that give the impression Specialized Turbo e-bikes are just a crap. In reality, Specialized Turbo e-bikes are one of the best and most modern e-bikes you can find out in the market. You are surrounded by a huge number of happy Turbo riders. However, you, a single individual are creating the most unpleasant image of the brand.

Get a life. Ride on.

OK, BUT, 1st, it would have been great if the independent warranty by SRAM was pointed out at the start by the LBS & Rider Care to avoid all the bull crap.
So, because I also have a COMO 5.0 that I no longer ride (it is for sale), rather than continue to inconvenience my wife for yet another week now that we are in the prime riding season, I've suggested to the LBS take MY fork and put it on HER bike, and let the clock tick while we wait for a result from SRAM.
She wins, I win, and nobody loses ride time. (it is HER bike that has the bad fork)
However, because of the miscommunication, one might think that Hilltop should have from the start made it clear that it was not part of the coverage (warranty). Again, I'm the one doing the calling, and writing, everyone else did zero to assist in a resolution.
Personally, SRAM informed me that it could have been due to an improper build. I'll clarify again, but if so, maybe that's why the CYA attitude.

I am on the phone with SRAM, long story short, they inform me that the fender mounts on the fork were drilled thru inhibiting the movement of the piston of the fork.
The purpose of THIS update is to inform the readership here that SRAM informs me that whether it be at "OE" (????), or at LBS assembly, they have acknowledged that there have been TWO (2) identical issues, mine being the 3rd.
They are attempting to communicate with the 'production manager' in Taiwan to obtain a resolution.
End of story? I'm told to expect a 3 to 5-week or longer timeframe for them to get the required part(s).

Last edited:
I am on the phone with SRAM, long story short, they inform me that the fender mounts on the fork were drilled thru inhibiting the movement of the piston of the fork.
The purpose of THIS update is to inform the readership here that SRAM informs me that whether it be at "OE" (????), or at LBS assembly, they have acknowledged that there have been TWO (2) identical issues, mine being the 3rd.
They are attempting to communicate with the 'production manager' in Taiwan to obtain a resolution.
End of story? I'm told to expect a 3 to 5-week or longer timeframe for them to get the required part(s).
Good luck. I guess the issue is when or where that fender is added to the bike. Decides if the shop did it or Specialized assembly did it.

Wow, this is amazing! I've had my 2022 Vado 4.0 since April with zero issues... logged almost 1000 miles. And I mean zero issues. Maybe I am lucky?

Last edited:

Just curious, has ANYBODY ELSE in the entire 'Specialized' world had an experience where their product was lacking or defective and you were told to go pound salt?

they’re not telling you to pound salt. the fork is at the fork manufacturer and will be fixed or replaced, once they have one, which is unfortunately going to be a while in the post COVID broken supply chain worId.

I have had a couple minor issues with my various specialized bikes. the first, a future shock lost the tiny bearings which make it click. LBS inspected it, verified th problem, noted they’d seen it once or twice before, filed the warranty claim, deemed it safe to ride in the meantime, and gave me the bike back while the replacement was procured, which did in fact take a few weeks.

the other was a leaking rear caliper (shimano) on a very new bike. no run-around about third party components. they put their best brake guy in it, he took it apart, checked the seals, bled and refilled it, etc etc, pressure tested it overnight, test rode it, gave it back. I was thankful they didn’t have to order a replacement rear caliper for a brand new and impossible to obtain groupset, and to get my bike back the next day. i made sure they knew I appreciated their fine service.

finally, at one point a tech reassembled a bike of mine with the wrong seat clamp, not realizing that the seat on the bike was not the original one and had oval carbon rails. a mistake, for sure, but an understandable one. when I realized it I emailed them, asked that they find my correct clamp, and asked when I could stop by. come by immediately, they said, we‘ll make it right. I picked up the right clamp and went home to change it out, no big deal. they comped me some stuff next time because they made a note in the file that they made a mistake. you catch more flies with honey.

most of us have always been treated professionally by specialized and the LBS they work with, but then again most of us are also nice to them, understanding of problems which are beyond their control, and make friends rather than enemies. your email makes it abundantly clear why your LBS is not being more creative in finding a solution, if it even was their responsibility to do so.

they’re not telling you to pound salt. the fork is at the fork manufacturer and will be fixed or replaced, once they have one, which is unfortunately going to be a while in the post COVID broken supply chain worId.

I have had a couple minor issues with my various specialized bikes. the first, a future shock lost the tiny bearings which make it click. LBS inspected it, verified th problem, noted they’d seen it once or twice before, filed the warranty claim, deemed it safe to ride in the meantime, and gave me the bike back while the replacement was procured, which did in fact take a few weeks.

the other was a leaking rear caliper (shimano) on a very new bike. no run-around about third party components. they put their best brake guy in it, he took it apart, checked the seals, bled and refilled it, etc etc, pressure tested it overnight, test rode it, gave it back. I was thankful they didn’t have to order a replacement rear caliper for a brand new and impossible to obtain groupset, and to get my bike back the next day. i made sure they knew I appreciated their fine service.

finally, at one point a tech reassembled a bike of mine with the wrong seat clamp, not realizing that the seat on the bike was not the original one and had oval carbon rails. a mistake, for sure, but an understandable one. when I realized it I emailed them, asked that they find my correct clamp, and asked when I could stop by. come by immediately, they said, we‘ll make it right. I picked up the right clamp and went home to change it out, no big deal. they comped me some stuff next time because they made a note in the file that they made a mistake. you catch more flies with honey.

most of us have always been treated professionally by specialized and the LBS they work with, but then again most of us are also nice to them, understanding of problems which are beyond their control, and make friends rather than enemies. your email makes it abundantly clear why your LBS is not being more creative in finding a solution, if it even was their responsibility to do so.
Can you explain "not realizing that the seat on the bike was not the original one and had oval carbon rails? a mistake, for sure, but an understandable one"?
I purchased the $400 "mirror" seat for my bike(s), are you saying different mounting rails are required and not the OEM ones?

Nathan from “Rider I Don’t Care,” said he wanted to ‘fire’ me and buy me out. Not something I wish to do.
That is not the direction I wish to go, as I have zero issues with the overall product, but if I have invested over $25,000 in Specialized products...
This is extraordinary. A business wants to pay you to go away. Wrap your mind around this... a business wants to pay you to go away. And even if you think that they will pay you what you paid... they aren't breaking even... they have had to spend even more money to deal with you.
They are just people and like you have limits and boundaries. This is truly extraordinary.

Can you explain "not realizing that the seat on the bike was not the original one and had oval carbon rails? a mistake, for sure, but an understandable one"?
I purchased the $400 "mirror" seat for my bike(s), are you saying different mounting rails are required and not the OEM ones?
depends which mirror seat you got. the $450 s-works one has elliptical cross-section carbon rails which require a different clamp than most bike come with. the $325 “sport” one has regular round rails.

Well, I was sitting on the sidelines in regard to this post and other related post until now. In leu of be critical, my intention here is to (perhaps) share some thoughts that might help in the future. I assuming that all of your posts have some flavor of reaching out to other members for comments.

There are right and wrong ways to handle things. Some issues are relevant and some not to the manufacture and LBS. Example of not..... The pedals issue you had on your Como. The manufacture designed that model specifically that way. Complaining about a design to either the LBS or Rider Care would certainly set you up for disappointment in an expected response. Reading your post would make one believe that you have issues and concerns with every e-bike you have purchased.

If people are not respoding to you the way you want, it could be assumed that you have wrong expectations or you are going about it the wrong way. In todays world of customer service, you are required to manage the situation properly. The old saying "you can win a battle but lose a war" comes to mind. Not saying all of your issues aren't valid, but you are certainly not getting the results you want.

When the majority of your post are complaints, you will began to foster negative responses.

By the way, I did enjoy your post on your 90 Mile ride!
In response to: "Complaining about a design to either the LBS or Rider Care would certainly set you up for disappointment in an expected response"
How am I to know unless I ask??? Hence my asking. Who else would I ask? Why would the inquiry not be answered? Hence my frustration.

In response to: "Reading your post would make one believe that you have issues and concerns with every e-bike, you have purchased:
No, it's just that for $4k, $5k + more my expectations are that I am buying a higher level e-bike, not a cheap, sub-par, inexpensive, throw-away, Chinese knock-off that will exhibit tons of issues.
I had issues with Trek, they tried to resolve the problems, with great customer service, but in the end, their products did not live up to my expectations, hence the move to Specialized.
Specialized GREAT bikes, but miserable customer service (at the Rider Care level).
Again my expectations are the items at play here, what I feel should be expected for a $5,000 + e-bike.

The manager of Hilltop Cranford is pissed because he "personally built the bike for my wife" (she tipped him $50), and he's not happy that I called him out because I said he obviously did not validate the operation of the bike (how do you let a bike out the door with a frozen piston in the shock????)

Not all are in agreement with my views and have the right to be critical of my expressions of dissatisfaction.

Some have a 100% satisfaction rate, while others do not.

This is why some states have 'Lemon Laws' for cars...

Remember, the planting of the seed with the entire Specialized saga for me was the purchase of 2 Vado 5.0 IGH's that mine had motor errors on 2 occasions and the BS excuse of a former employee of Hilltop telling me that it will continue to keep happening, and just turn the bike off and then back on to clear it. Then the nobody has a clue about how to return web-purchased bikes that were shipped to my choice of LBS to assemble and no communication for the return of $11,000 of bikes, prompting a BBB complaint, opening a dispute with the credit card company (the very best way to get the attention by ripping the money out of their pockets....it wakes them up). But I stayed true and bought 2 new Como 5.0 (non-IGH's), with one now having a manufacturing defect that is from a 3rd party supplier of parts, so I'm told there is nobody but SRAM to address and resolve the issue, sorry sir, we cannot do anything, have a good day.
Staying even truer, I bought a 2022 Vado 5.0 (non-IGH) <---the very best bike I've ever had<-----and have questions that I send to Rider care about Mission Control, but no answers, I have an inquiry about a piece of the kickstand falling off and being lost, no reply.

So I have no right to complain, no process to get resolution, other than to vent here and make sure that the world knows that Specialized is a "f-ed" up company and to be very, very careful about reading the warranty, knowing your rights. limits, and what is and is not covered.

It may not be better with any other company, but again, I love the bikes, hate the company, and they are horrible.

As an ongoing addition to the fork issue, not wanting to wait until August or September for a replacement fork (not having a choice), my wife suggests we just buy her another $5,000 COMO 5.0, and when they get the parts to fix the one that has defective parts, to sell it. The geometry of the Large and Medium headtube is different by 10mm, so even if I wanted to take my Como 5.0 (large) fork so my wife could get her bike back on the road this Summer, I'm not comfortable knowing if the replacement option by SRAM will "remember" to accommodate my substitution and be assured that the correct fork is supplied at the time it does ever get shipped. (see attached diagram)
(to recap, I have a Como 5 Large, and my wife a Como 5 Medium, I've offered to use my fork so she can ride her brand new bike this Summer and not wait until August/September)

It's not about the money, obviously, it's about the goodwill of the company (Specialized) not coming into play.

Como 5.0 Geometry .png

I have never had an issue with my three Specialized e-bikes.
Well, I put well over 5,000 miles on my 2021 Turbo Vado 5.0 in around 19-20 months (bought in July 2020 as a 2021 Model) with no major or serious problems.
Like I said, on of the very best bikes I ever had.
Ever.
(sold it to get the latest and the greatest....)

unfortunately, there's a very small window of weather here that allows for pleasurable riding, waiting "eventually" for a fix is wasting that time, especially when the bike is brand new and with an obvious manufacture error, agree with you though that sugar is better than vinegar when talking to tech support!

curious if you checked removing a couple of spacers to see if you can gain that 10mm, all stems are cut to the bike it's going to be on, i was lucky enough to pick up a second hand bluto fat bike fork and it fit when i did this and drove fine

Back