New Como 3.0 issue

I used to work with the Como 3.0 for many years and this was a common problem. The bike moves on its own at 3.3 mph because there is a walk mode that Specialized does not advertise built into their bikes. It is activated by pressing and holding the plus button and should deactivate once you release that button. However, it is common for these buttons to get stuck and can even create a drag resistance while riding as you were fighting the motor. The only permanent solution I have found for this is to replace the headset which is about a $100 fix, but the quick fix is to press the plus button a few times followed by the minus button. If the power level changes, the the plus button is no longer stuck and walk mode is disengaged.

I hope this helps!
I did clean the battery connection as recommended. However, although I ride my Tero every day or two, she has only ridden her Como 1 or 2 times since the December ride. I might start riding hers instead to get a better handle on the status (I will remove the front dog carrier...lol). When the issue occurred in December and she got stuck there was no indication that it was trying to walk. Given your experience, should that have been noticeable?

I did clean the battery connection as recommended. However, although I ride my Tero every day or two, she has only ridden her Como 1 or 2 times since the December ride. I might start riding hers instead to get a better handle on the status (I will remove the front dog carrier...lol). When the issue occurred in December and she got stuck there was no indication that it was trying to walk. Given your experience, should that have been noticeable?
Unfortunately there is no visual indication that the walk mode is activated and the only way that you'll know is if you lose power while riding or if it takes off on you while your not on it or actively pedaling. Additionally, you may notice that the power level indicator does not change when pressing the plus or minus buttons. With walk mode being only 3 mph, it can be really hard to diagnose. Ultimately, it seems to happen at random with no real way to coax it into acting up.

Back