New Como 3.0 issue

Tfbruin

Tried using the search but could not find an answer.

My wife’s new como 3.0 low step has had an issue about 4-5 times now. Power the bike up and head off for a ride and she is not getting any power assist. The bike is on, display is working but no assist. Each time this has happened, we powered the bike off and then back on and it worked fine. This has happened 3 times on the last 5 rides. Any ideas? Not sure my LBS is goi g to be much help if I can’t reproduce the problem.

"Motor error" and "No battery" messages?
Whenever that happens, connect the Como with Mission Control in your smartphone, click Diagnose -> Advanced Diagnostics and send the report to Specialized from the app. That will give your LBS some ammunition. Secondly, Mission Control reports whether your Como software is updated with the latest version (Diagnose -> Device Updates). If not, visit the LBS for the updates.

Selecting Diagnose -> System in case of an error gives some information about the nature of the problem but these hints are little helpful.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem 1 week ago, but it was my fault and probably has nothing to do with your problem.
When we got our bikes 3 weeks ago I registered both at the Specialized web site.
One week later I downloaded the MC app to my smartphone during a break on a bike trip and added a tune setting, modified it a bit and activated it.
Every time afterwards I connected MC to my bike I got a message that I need to register the bike. When confirmed the button in the app I got an error message saying that it's not possible. I asked Spezi and they replied that this is a bug in the software.
A couple of days later I had the idea to compare the login I had used for the registration at the web site and the MC app on my smartphone and noticed that I used a different account in the MC settings.
Afterwards I changed the account in the MC app to be the same I used on the web site and could successfully register the bike via the MC app but didn't used the bike anymore that day.
Next day before driving to work I connected the MC app to record the trip. After a couple of meters I noticed less respectively no power assist. I stopped and powered the bike off and on again but nothing changed. I did this 2 or 3 times without any change. After around 3 km without assistance I stopped again and took a look into the MC app. There I noticed that my additional created and modified tune disappeared and only the standard settings were shown. After activation of these default settings the power assistance worked without any problems.

Now you can start laughing 😄

This is not the reason of the problem tbc though... I'm getting similar errors just recently.

The bike does have the lastest firmware versions. They are the same as mine which is a como 3.0 that is not a step through. Both were bought at the same time. It appears as I have tried to research this it seems that the wife’s bike is a 2021 and mine is a 2020, I think. Hard to say as the specialized website seems to be changing all the time.

My wife’s new como 3.0 low step has had an issue about 4-5 times now. Power the bike up and head off for a ride and she is not getting any power assist. The bike is on, display is working but no assist. Each time this has happened, we powered the bike off and then back on and it worked fine. This has happened 3 times on the last 5 rides. Any ideas? Not sure my LBS is goi g to be much help if I can’t reproduce the problem.

My wife and I have two 2019 Como 2.0's that we purchased last year. Both bikes experience the same problem from time to time. My LBS has looked at the bikes twice and can't find a fix.

I assume you took out the battery and reinstalled it with a good solid thwonk, yes? Because on my BH ebike, on a rough road or just hitting a bump wrong, sometimes the battery becomes unseated and I need to make sure it is fully seated and connecting. The display will show as all connected and communicating, but no power to the motor is happening. So I take it out, and reinstall it and it then behaves normally. Maybe this will work for you.

I'm having similar issues with my new (bought in July 2020) Como 5.0. It happens about 1 out of every 3-4 times I turn on the bike and I just turn the bike off and back on again to fix it (works every time). I have not looked at the computer when it happens, so I'll be sure to do that. And I'll reseat the battery. I noticed once that after I put the battery back in, it wasn't seated properly and started to come off when I was riding. I do find it difficult to get it in place and haven't felt that satisfying thwonk ChezCheese:) mentioned.

I'm having similar issues with my new (bought in July 2020) Como 5.0. It happens about 1 out of every 3-4 times I turn on the bike and I just turn the bike off and back on again to fix it (works every time). I have not looked at the computer when it happens, so I'll be sure to do that. And I'll reseat the battery. I noticed once that after I put the battery back in, it wasn't seated properly and started to come off when I was riding. I do find it difficult to get it in place and haven't felt that satisfying thwonk ChezCheese:) mentioned.
I haven't had this issue with my 2019 Como3, but it does appear common. I read about it here on EBR, and I used a few drops of dielectric grease where the battery and frame meet. Makes it easier to insert battery properly, and I have not lost power (yet anyway). YMMV.

This;
0309201133_Film1.jpg

I used q-tips saturated with this contact cleaner on my Vado after 10 miles on gravel; they came off grey. Dust, dirt, muck, etc, on the contacts not only interferes with power delivery, but also with signals to the bike's controller. The bikes and batteries are shipped to your LBS separately so the contacts can get contaminated even before the bike is delivered to you, just sayin'...😎

I experienced the same thing last week and the display was flashing "Motor Error". it turns out my battery was not latched in place properly. I turned the bike off, secured the battery in place and I was good to go.

Has anyone had this issue lately or have any more info on it?

My wife's 2022 Como 3.0 had this issue twice. Once last summer (2022) and again a week ago. When starting off the bike does not assist at all. Simply turning off the power and turning it back on fixes the issue. The display indicates that everything is OK.
The latest time occurred during a group ride which due to weather issue was switched from mostly finished trails to a much more MTB type adventure (tree roots, mud, streams, etc.). The ride was sponsored by a TREK LBS so we were the outsiders (I have a Tero). The ride started downhill so it was hard to notice. When the terrain turned up hill, me being the understanding husband that I am, I just told her to keep up and not embarrass us in front of all the TREK bikes. It wasn't until she got totally stuck in a fairly large patch of mud several inches deep that I finally believed her. Cycled the power off and on and she and the bike did fine the rest of the ride even though it was clearly not the right type of trail for a Como.

Sounds like a torque sensor issue. The sensor is inside the motor so the bike needs to be diagnosed by a local bike shop.

I will take the battery out and clean all the contacts. Since it has only happened twice in over 1 1/2 years, I may never really know if I fixed it. More importantly, I will know how to better react if my wife says it is happening.

Has anyone had this issue lately or have any more info on it?

My wife's 2022 Como 3.0 had this issue twice. Once last summer (2022) and again a week ago. When starting off the bike does not assist at all. Simply turning off the power and turning it back on fixes the issue. The display indicates that everything is OK.
The latest time occurred during a group ride which due to weather issue was switched from mostly finished trails to a much more MTB type adventure (tree roots, mud, streams, etc.). The ride was sponsored by a TREK LBS so we were the outsiders (I have a Tero). The ride started downhill so it was hard to notice. When the terrain turned up hill, me being the understanding husband that I am, I just told her to keep up and not embarrass us in front of all the TREK bikes. It wasn't until she got totally stuck in a fairly large patch of mud several inches deep that I finally believed her. Cycled the power off and on and she and the bike did fine the rest of the ride even though it was clearly not the right type of trail for a Como.
I used to work with the Como 3.0 for many years and this was a common problem. The bike moves on its own at 3.3 mph because there is a walk mode that Specialized does not advertise built into their bikes. It is activated by pressing and holding the plus button and should deactivate once you release that button. However, it is common for these buttons to get stuck and can even create a drag resistance while riding as you were fighting the motor. The only permanent solution I have found for this is to replace the headset which is about a $100 fix, but the quick fix is to press the plus button a few times followed by the minus button. If the power level changes, the the plus button is no longer stuck and walk mode is disengaged.

I hope this helps!

Back