New CCX Pictures

I got a more comfortable mildly swept back handlebar and stem for the CCX because my wrists started hurting from the stock handlebars. The new handlebar alleviated the pain and the 45 degree angled stem raised it to the perfect height for me. Now I have no more wrist pain. Next I am thinking about a budget suspension seat post.

Attachments

• 20190119_085736.jpg
    20190119_085736.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 642
  • 20190119_085802.jpg
    20190119_085802.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 701
  • 20190119_085816.jpg
    20190119_085816.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 615
  • 20190119_085917.jpg
    20190119_085917.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and the links. How much effort was involved in changing that out? Were there any issues with the grips or cables? Might be kind of cool to have a more upright posture for longer rides.

Thanks for the pics and the links. How much effort was involved in changing that out? Were there any issues with the grips or cables? Might be kind of cool to have a more upright posture for longer rides.
Not much effort needed. Just need the proper size Allen wrenches. The handlebar and stem are the same size fit. Just loosen the 2 screws on the handlebar grips and they slide right off. The Allen key needed for the LCD display is very small so be careful not to strip it. I don’t know why the designers did not use a larger Allen screw. Cable length was not an issue. It may be an issue if adding a stem riser.

Haven't ordered one yet but soon a 45deg adjustable stem is in my future. Up and back a little is all that's needed for me.

Nice bike but not enough tail lights.. jk

I think the DesignShine DS-500 might satisfy your needs.

Nice tail light but is too pricey and a bit overkill. I don’t want to dazzle motorists behind me and give them a motive to run me over.

Nice tail light but is too pricey and a bit overkill. I don’t want to dazzle motorists behind me and give them a motive to run me over.

Yeah, definitely overkill at night. Too much light at night is probably worse than having not enough light since drivers have to look away to avoid getting blinded. Although it’s probably quite effective in direct sunlight during the day. I have a Dinotte 300R for my road bike and always turn it on the low steady at night and use an inexpensive blinking LED on the back of my helmet. During the day in the flashing modes the 300R would always get comments about how far back they could see me. On an e-bike though I’d want something that can be plugged in.

I'm closing in on 500 miles on the CCX and so far so good (knock on wood). I got a Topeak pannier rack and Ortlieb front roller classics. I use the B&M headlight as the primary and the stock headlight I have hooked up to a separate switch to use as high beams to notify oncoming vehicles if I am being dazzled by their headlights

Attachments

• 20190412_075149.jpg
    20190412_075149.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 775
  • 20190412_075213.jpg
    20190412_075213.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 779
  • 20190412_075249.jpg
    20190412_075249.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 796
  • 20190412_075313.jpg
    20190412_075313.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 813
  • 20190412_075344.jpg
    20190412_075344.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 779
Hey, @KLee , I'm looking at a Topeak rack for my CCX. The quick release is what interests me the most. Guessing this is the one you have (or the version with the spring): https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/146-explorer-(disc)-(w-o-spring)? Also, did you have to replace the stock rear fender? Since one attachment point is the factory rack, it didn't look like it would reattach the factory fender. Also, was it a straight install? Did you have to bend anything to get it to work?

Thanks in anticipation!

Hey, @KLee , I'm looking at a Topeak rack for my CCX. The quick release is what interests me the most. Guessing this is the one you have (or the version with the spring): https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/146-explorer-(disc)-(w-o-spring)? Also, did you have to replace the stock rear fender? Since one attachment point is the factory rack, it didn't look like it would reattach the factory fender. Also, was it a straight install? Did you have to bend anything to get it to work?

Thanks in anticipation!
When I installed the Topeak rear rack I kept the stock rear fender even though I lost an attachment point. I purchased the fender stay kit from Juiced for $12 or $15. It allows you to install additional attachment points for the front and rear. I originally used the stock mounting points but found that the rack was too high and too far forward and the when sliding the MTX bag to lock it in the saddle would get in the way. I purchased Topeak MTX rack hardware kit from Ebay and used the included brackets to mount the rack more rearward. When I have some time I will send photos.
1572008093541.png

Hi @niltohams,

Here are some photos of the rear rack mount on the drive side and the left side
Nylon nuts are your friend here. I don't load my rack too heavy so I'm not worried about load capacity.

Attachments

• CCX.jpg
    CCX.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 508
  • CCX2.jpg
    CCX2.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 505
  • CCX4.jpg
    CCX4.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 511
  • CCX3.jpg
    CCX3.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 492
  • CCX5.jpg
    CCX5.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 489
  • CCX6.jpg
    CCX6.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 508
Thanks, @KLee. Those nylon nuts are great. Who needs Loctite anymore? I couldn't find that rack hardware kit anywhere. But I'll keep digging.

Last edited:
@KLee, so I ordered the rack just to see what measurements with which I was working. Did you think about just bending the rack? It's tubular aluminum and seems like it would bend. Also, need to take off the old rack to check brake clearance, but thinking of sawing off the square pieces welded on that push out the rack from brake.

@KLee, so I ordered the rack just to see what measurements with which I was working. Did you think about just bending the rack? It's tubular aluminum and seems like it would bend. Also, need to take off the old rack to check brake clearance, but thinking of sawing off the square pieces welded on that push out the rack from brake.
Only minimal bending was required when using the stock mounting points as well as the modified ones I was using. I bought the last MTX hardware set on EBay and was not able to locate this kit anywhere else. Let me know how you make out on the installation.

@KLee: a little follow up for you (et al)... The rack went on just fine without any engineering. I didn't have to bend anything or do anything I would think of as unusual for installing the rack. The only thing...with the geometry of the bike and where the bosses were, I'm not even sure the bag will fit when slid in: it may hit the seat (which is on a suspension post, so it could be an even bigger problem when it bounces). I had bought the rack without the bag to see how it would fit. Now that the rack is in, I'm waiting for the bag to arrive. It's perfectly horizontal (at the very end of the mounting bracket). Fingers crossed!

Back