New build suggestions

Kingofgreens

Hello all,

Im not a total newb when it comes to ebikes and electric vehicles. I have however not kept up with the latest and greatest so Im here to draw upon the resourses and knowledge of tbose who are more on point.

I'd like to build a new ebike and I have some ideas. I currently have a schwinn Jaguar cruiser I want to convert to a mid-drive ebike. I've looked on amazon and ebay for components and theres a lot to choose from.
What I'd like to know is if anyone else has first hand experience with something similar they could share with me?
Brands to seek out and those to avoid? Suppliers and accessories that are a must have? Is my choice of frame a good one for this application?
Any feedback would be helpful and appreicated.

thanks

Measure the bottom bracket so see if you need to get additional spacers. Some bottom brackets are 65 mm and you'll need something like this

https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-...ual-spacers-for-bbshd-bottom-bracket-fitting/

If your going to use the existing chain, then make sure you order get a chain ring with the same number of teeth as the current one. On Luna, you can specify this, but on Amazon you cannot.

In my opinion, the standard chain ring that comes with the kit is designed mainly for 1-3 speeds. If you have more than that, the chain is going to pop off on the larger rear cogs because the ring is too far away from the frame. You'll need a narrow wide chain ring that is pushed closer to the frame like a Lekkie chain-ring.

If you don't have the tools or not sure, get a tool kit that will let you remove the bottom bracket. (This kit has everything you need to remove the bottom bracket)
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1030354_-1___000000
If you get a slightly smaller chain ring, this kit has the tool to pop off additional links

I've only built 2 BBS02 kits so far from Luna Cycles and haven't had any problems. The only thing I don't like from Luna is that they like to use XT connectors to handle higher currents for their batteries (except Dolphin and Shark batteries which user Anderson Powerpole connectors) and the Bafang kits all use Anderson Power pole connectors. They have adapters and will ship them if you buy kits from them. If you buy separately, you'll need to get the adapter or change the connectors yourself

As for bikes, I would look for ones with a single chain ring in the front and no more than 7-speed in the back. Multi-chain rings up front usually mean 8-11 speeds on the back which stretches the chain a lot when you convert to a single chain-ring mid-drive.

Not sure if the Schwinn Jaguar is ideal because the down tube is curved making it hard to install a battery.

Back