New Bosch Nyon 2020 preview

Hopefully it's essentially a "dumbed down" IP68 Android Smartphone with GPS, but without telephony, vibration, microphones, etc. and dedicated to just loading Android (Apple IOS would be too expensive) with a vastly updated version of the Cobi app so it can startup fast, also so it can appear to the user to be exactly the same as the Smartphone Hub with other smartphones running the same vastly updated Cobi app :)
Makes sense to me at least, then apart from working on dedicated software for Purion, Intuvia & Kiox they only have to focus on one app across two platforms, Android & IOS.
There would be no problem making this reliable as long as the updates to the app are also reliable.
If this is the case then i dare say that the existing Nyon will definitely become deprecated (if not already) as software development would become too costly.

Last edited:
It might make for some good bargains on the 8 GB (gen 2?) Nyon's. It will be interesting to hear more about what features the new product has.

I don’t know too much about this, but I’m lead to believe it will make it to the states eventually. Probably in the next year and it will be retrofittable as their other displays are. Sometimes all functions won’t be compatible with older motors like the lock function on the Kiox which isn’t compatible with Gen 2 motors.

The software for the Nyon is completely separate from the COBI software, same as it is currently. One of the big differences is that COBI is an open system allowing outside developers to make apps for it. The Nyon will be a closed system with all apps developed by Bosch.

That’s all I have for now, but I hope it’s helpful.

Hi Chris, I have a Moutache Open Xroad 5 2018 with a performance line drive. How do you know witch GEN it is ? Thanks

I was dead sure the Nyon was a product being pahsed out since the introduction of the COBI related systems.
But not so.. Bosch made a teaser for a new Nyon to be released later in 2020.

Rumor has it that Nyon Gen 2 is a touchscreen — supported by the apparent lack of a joystick in the quick glimpses one gets from this CES 2020 teaser video.

Rumor has it that Nyon Gen 2 is a touchscreen — supported by the apparent lack of a joystick in the quick glimpses one gets from this CES 2020 teaser video.
I hope that is not the case. One of the things I really like about the Nyon and Intuvia is being able to control it with my thumb while keeping both hands on the grips. Any control system that requires you to steer one handed is inherently less safe.

I hope that is not the case. One of the things I really like about the Nyon and Intuvia is being able to control it with my thumb while keeping both hands on the grips. Any control system that requires you to steer one handed is inherently less safe.
I'm sure it will be a touchscreen but doubt any lack of control via a button/joystick pad or similar.

Here is a link to screenshots of the frames showing the Nyon2:

Assuming that this isn’t some sort of dummy case for the promo, touchscreen appears to be a reasonable conclusion. I am puzzled by this development. I‘d assumed the Nyon was history. I was convinced when I saw how similar the Kiox “ride” screen is to the Nyon’s. Now we get a quickie video with glimpses of what appears to be a display with a Kiox-like form factor. Hmm. Why not Nyon 2 from the get-go?

i think we’ll be using our Gen 1 1GB units for a good while longer, so enjoy the toggling. Original COBI and the fast charger never materialized in the US market. This promo is so content-free that even our German friends at the pedelec forum are scratching their heads.

If it looks like the outline it will have a handlebar based joystick and touchscreen for the display.
I don't think they would just have a touchscreen option, as it forces you to remove your hands from the main handlebar

If it looks like the outline it will have a handlebar based joystick and touchscreen for the display.
I don't think they would just have a touchscreen option, as it forces you to remove your hands from the main handlebar
Yes, I was talking about the display.

Back