New bikes for old tail bones. Looking for suggestions.

MrsKramer

Hi. After much research, I just ordered two RadRunner 1s for hubby and me. I'm 64 and he is 69. We're taking a mini-vacation in early Oct where we'll be riding about 20 miles a day for a few days in a row. I am anticipating needing something to make the seats more comfortable for our old tail bones. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what do you suggest? Thank you.

Everyone I know with a Rad Bike has replaced the seat. I replaced mine within a week.

I have a Cloud 9 they make several styles. I also have a spring seat post probably not needed unless you have rough terrain.

Heard good things about the Bikeroo, " most comfortable seat for seniors"

Don't underestimate the value of padded bike shorts as well.

Everyone I know with a Rad Bike has replaced the seat. I replaced mine within a week.

I have a Cloud 9 they make several styles. I also have a spring seat post probably not needed unless you have rough terrain.

Heard good things about the Bikeroo, " most comfortable seat for seniors"

Don't underestimate the value of padded bike shorts as well.
Thank you. I'll check this out.

My 69 year old butt, which has not been treated to padded shorts yet, has a range of about 20 miles, even with several stops. If I were planning multiple 20 mile runs, I would likely be trying a set. Have heard good things about them.

I have tried the Bikeroo, and a couple of the Cloud 9 seats. Currently running the largest Cloud 9 available (didn't know there were several models going into it).

I'm also running a suspension seat post, made by a company called Thudbuster, the long travel (LT) version. This DID dampen the vibration my butt was getting noticeably, making for a noticeably more comfortable ride.

From there, I would try several air pressures in the 'Runner's fat tires. The wife and I will be trying out a couple of RAD Rovers this fall - to see how we like those fat tires regarding ride, as well as sandy trails. -Al

My 69 year old butt, which has not been treated to padded shorts yet, has a range of about 20 miles, even with several stops. If I were planning multiple 20 mile runs, I would likely be trying a set. Have heard good things about them.

I have tried the Bikeroo, and a couple of the Cloud 9 seats. Currently running the largest Cloud 9 available (didn't know there were several models going into it).

I'm also running a suspension seat post, made by a company called Thudbuster, the long travel (LT) version. This DID dampen the vibration my butt was getting noticeably, making for a noticeably more comfortable ride.

From there, I would try several air pressures in the 'Runner's fat tires. The wife and I will be trying out a couple of RAD Rovers this fall - to see how we like those fat tires regarding ride, as well as sandy trails. -Al
Thank you. Based on your advice and the prior advisor, I think I will buy Thudbuster LTs, large Cloud 9 seats, and padded bike shorts. Why would you buy a set? I'm excited but a little nervous about this purchase, our first ebikes. It's a surprise for my husband. We both have Oct birthdays. Want to make sure I get it right.

Thank you. Based on your advice and the prior advisor, I think I will buy Thudbuster LTs, large Cloud 9 seats, and padded bike shorts. Why would you buy a set? I'm excited but a little nervous about this purchase, our first ebikes. It's a surprise for my husband. We both have Oct birthdays. Want to make sure I get it right.

When the wife and I got our first e-bikes, we both had smiles that wouldn't go away for weeks. 3 years later, we still enjoy frequent local rides, getting out several times a week for just 3-5 mile runs, with the occasional longer 10-20 mile runs maybe once a month.

I hope you and your husband enjoy yours as much as we do! You might want to hold off buying anything for the bikes until you've had a chance to ride them a bit just as they come. Just know the mentioned accessories are a good direction to move in when you get ready...

Not following the question "why would you buy a set"?

When the wife and I got our first e-bikes, we both had smiles that wouldn't go away for weeks. 3 years later, we still enjoy frequent local rides, getting out several times a week for just 3-5 mile runs, with the occasional longer 10-20 mile runs maybe once a month.

I hope you and your husband enjoy yours as much as we do! You might want to hold off buying anything for the bikes until you've had a chance to ride them a bit just as they come. Just know the mentioned accessories are a good direction to move in when you get ready...

Not following the question "why would you buy a set"?
Thank you. We will probably use them much like you and your wife do. I have been reading extensively about these e-bikes. Wonderful reviews, but I feel certain that we're going to want the seats to be more comfortable immediately. This is because I am also surprising hubby with a four day trip up to CA's central coast in Oct. That's when our 20 miles rides will take place. Upon more reading about your recommendations, they seem sound according to others. You wrote "If I were planning multiple 20 mile runs, I would likely be trying a set. Have heard good things about them." I don't understand that. For what purpose would you buy a set?

Hi. After much research, I just ordered two RadRunner 1s for hubby and me. I'm 64 and he is 69. We're taking a mini-vacation in early Oct where we'll be riding about 20 miles a day for a few days in a row. I am anticipating needing something to make the seats more comfortable for our old tail bones. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what do you suggest? Thank you.

Hello,
I two e-bikes and have the Kinekt Suspension 2.1 Aluminum seatpost on each. Expensive, but worth it 100% There are other Suspension Seat Posts, Less $$
but I have no experience.

Hello,
I two e-bikes and have the Kinekt Suspension 2.1 Aluminum seatpost on each. Expensive, but worth it 100% There are other Suspension Seat Posts, Less $$
but I have no experience.

Thank you. I will check this out.

Thank you. We will probably use them much like you and your wife do. I have been reading extensively about these e-bikes. Wonderful reviews, but I feel certain that we're going to want the seats to be more comfortable immediately. This is because I am also surprising hubby with a four day trip up to CA's central coast in Oct. That's when our 20 miles rides will take place. Upon more reading about your recommendations, they seem sound according to others. You wrote "If I were planning multiple 20 mile runs, I would likely be trying a set. Have heard good things about them." I don't understand that. For what purpose would you buy a set?

I would buy them hoping they would have enough padding in the right places to allow my butt to be more comfortable on longer rides. At that point I may do that more often!

Give yourself some time to get e-bike acclimated. It's not rocket science, but there's more to it than meets the eye. Thinking some of the places you'll be going you're going to want to spend more time focused on the scenery than some issue with the bike.....

I use ISM saddles for all my bicycles (electric or not). The shape is a bit odd but it suits me perfectly and I used to do very long rides (up to 12 hours).

It's not for everyone, there several models, some a suited for city touring like this one :

The idea is not to compress soft tissues in order for the blood flow to keep, well, flowing.

However I'm 35.

I use ISM saddles for all my bicycles (electric or not). The shape is a bit odd but it suits me perfectly and I used to do very long rides (up to 12 hours).

It's not for everyone, there several models, some a suited for city touring like this one :

The idea is not to compress soft tissues in order for the blood flow to keep, well, flowing.

However I'm 35.
Thank you.

I bought a Rad Rover step through this spring and hated the seat. I replaced it with a gel seat from Walmart which was a little better. Third time was the charm when I bought this seal which is super comfortable.

I bought a Rad Rover step through this spring and hated the seat. I replaced it with a gel seat from Walmart which was a little better. Third time was the charm when I bought this seal which is super comfortable.
Thank you. That is the most economical suggestion I have seen yet. Think I will buy one of these and then decide if we need a better option.

The first rule of biking is you don’t buy a “bike“, you buy the local bike store where to buy the bike. The second rule is that there is no such thing as a comfortable bike seat, just less uncomfortable ones. Good bike shops allow you to try out seats for a few days to find one that’s less uncomfortable then ride. Get quality bike shorts and start biking every other day to get all body parts ready for your tour.

Last edited:

I'm 65, and can only do 10 miles, before I have to stop. Based on Gordon's post, I ordered the $40 seat from Amazon, and got it in one day. Installation was a breeze, and I was able to do 20 miles with no problems at all. The seat is considerably bigger than the stock Velo seat, and reminds me a lot of the air ride saddle that I had on my Police Harley. Here is a picture of the seat on my 2019 Rad City. Thanks for the thread and replies! Sorry for the big picture, but I wanted everyone to get a good view of the size of the seat!
IMG_0016[1].JPG

I am very happy with the Topeak bag. It was recommended on this forum. I think all of my accessories are ones that I found recommended on this forum!

Back