New Bike Day! 2021 Stance E 2 29er

Here's some more info I got from Louis.

When his fails, the resistance at the cranks is higher than if he'd simply turned assistance down to zero with the bike powered up.
My theory, based on that, is that parts of the system (probably part of the controller circuit) still consider the power to still be "on".

Still sucks - whether I am right or not.
If I had a failing bike - I would not be riding in some of the places I intend to go this summer.

I'm glad they are replacing the bike - that way corporate techs can rip that thing apart and do some proper QC and get to the root of this issue.

Here's some more info I got from Louis.

When his fails, the resistance at the cranks is higher than if he'd simply turned assistance down to zero with the bike powered up.
My theory, based on that, is that parts of the system (probably part of the controller circuit) still consider the power to still be "on".

Still sucks - whether I am right or not.
If I had a failing bike - I would not be riding in some of the places I intend to go this summer.

I'm glad they are replacing the bike - that way corporate techs can rip that thing apart and do some proper QC and get to the root of this issue.
There may be more at play. Mine would just power off very quickly. That said, on my ride back to the car it seemed as though if I kept pedaling the bike would stay on, whether I was applying pressure or not. Weird...

Mine would just power off very quickly.
So did his - I didn't pick my words very carefully.
But once it did power down - the resistance at the cranks was indeed perceived as more than normal for "zero assistance".

So did his - I didn't pick my words very carefully.
But once it did power down - the resistance at the cranks was indeed perceived as more than normal for "zero assistance".
I "think" my ride back to the car felt like a regular (but heavy) acoustic. No extra resistance that I could feel.

My issue was a result of corrosion affecting one of connectors below the socket connector which was attached to the harness. The tech felt that the corrosion had accelerated due in part to the heat inside the cavity. All I know is that the bike hasn't acted up since the repair. I recently installed a down tube fender along with Dave's DIY solution. Even though I didn't purchase my Trance at the shop where the warranty work was performed, the cost of labor to do the work wasn't passed on to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_1140193.jpg
    IMG_20210414_1140193.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20210414_1140037.jpg
    IMG_20210414_1140037.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 269
Clearly if Giant wants to keep water from playing around with the electronics in their bikes you think that they would come up with a more suitable video than the one featured on their global website. I would never promote cleaning it using this method especially with the battery removed and water pouring directly into the nest of wiring below.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/campaigns/how-to-wash-an-e-bike/21541

@DaveMatthews - Stoked that corporate came through for you and like @RandallS said, let’s hope that they figure this debacle out.👍

Clearly if Giant wants to keep water from playing around with the electronics in their bikes you think that they would come up with a more suitable video than the one featured on their global website. I would never promote cleaning it using this method especially with the battery removed and water pouring directly into the nest of wiring below.

@DaveMatthews - Stoked that corporate came through for you and like @RandallS said, let’s hope that they figure this debacle out.👍
Yeah, I was really impressed that I didn't even need to bring the subject up, they just replaced it!
And that video for washing your ebike... uh huh... no. I just use a damp sponge and towels. I do not understand the gap between the battery and the frame. At a minimum I'd be offering a battery cover that extended down and over the gap. That wouldn't help in a deep puddle or crossing a creek but it would be something.
On another note, this motor is super quiet! Almost silent and much more quiet than the first one, and more quiet than the Fathom as well.
Oh and they gave me the new battery as well as opposed to swapping in the old one.

So I updated the app on my phone, and it turned my Fathom into this! 🤣

2021 Giant Stance E 2
Couldn't resist. These are like hen's teeth these days, and this was the last one! Had to pounce on it.
29" wheels are awesome. Rear shock is plush, love it! Air suspension front and rear.

Went for a quick 8K ride and took every bump possible, jumped numerous curbs. This bike is fantastic.
Yes, the components would be considered mid grade, but dayum, it rides very nicely!
Very nice I loved mine I just bought, other than the fact it throws a wheel magnet error code (guessing) as soon as I got it home and goes into error but is still completely functional you just can't see your assist level on the display anymore. Since it does this several times per ride I just don't reset. (that and the fact 4k bike no dropper and pos fork should have been a Reba Recon at least at that price). Sometimes errors right away sometime 5-10 minutes. Magnet is good and optimally placed as much as possible the wonderfully wide rear triangle puts it a little too far away from the sensor compared to my other Syncdrive bike if the sensor is weak which is probably the reason. That said, I tested the magnet at least and it is pretty strong field but a bosch OEM magnet is stronger. Ride control app is useless in diagnosing the issue. I am sitting there with the error light flashing and run diagnostics with app and it says motor and battery check out. So, until I can get a new sensor (back ordered), I just deal with not being able to see what level I am in. Not a big deal you can feel it. Other problem I have with it is since it has this wonderful clearance in back even though it is not boost, you think they would have enough sense to make it thru axle rear and not just a 5mm QR. 🙄 I was doing a particularly gnarly ride today and sure enough the rear QR comes loose.
The really really good though I got a 3.00 Minion on the back on that smaller i.d. rim (measured 2.8) and there is much room to spare !!! Really enjoyed the suspension flex stays (no horst link even) though can't figure out why they did not put a rockShox Monarch RL on the rear so you have lockout like the front. Part is the big wheel back there but even with the stock 2.4 it felt like about ~130mm suspension in the back.
Already ordered my upgrade parts and put a 140mm recon on it the first day. I love Giant Sync drive as my fav motor..... :) Most of the time.

Last edited:
How much does it weigh?
55lbs

Never wash my mountain bike lol. If it is muddy I wait till it dries and with a damp cloth knock off enough mud on it and all the moving parts. Oil chain, check front and back der's and go. Worst thing you can do is wash the thing and spray gets past the ferrules down into the housing as well as the bearings (and bushings if any.)
Again, all pivots then get f&Ked as well as other pivot points. You will have much more creaking problems etc from washing than from normal riding. If you have a creak from dust etc. just use a dry silicone lube at the point you isolate as the squeaker.
That said, Giant messed up a point of water intrusion failure in the bottom of the battery/frame interface talked about here somewhere.

Last edited:
Back