New App Update: Almost here

Yes in the overall scheme of things a non functioning app is hardly major, but given it’s a big selling point in giants marketing it should work out of the box, in fact in hindsight I shouldn’t have left the dealer until I had it hooked up. As it stands ive now spent 5+ hours trying to get it to work, downloading the app several times, updating iOS to 14.0.1 and looking at tens of forums and videos in case it’s just me being a dork. I’m still non the wiser whether the issue is the app, my iOS Xr phone /iPad or the bike itself. We’re a family of iPhone users so no other options there.

I could pop it into my lbs given they are a giant dealer, but as I went there looking at bikes three weeks ago, and then bought it from the giant retail shop an hours drive away I feel a bit awkward doing that.
That’s exactly the issue I had. I couldn’t update via the app as advertised. I moved and am not near the dealer I bought from. The local dealer charged me to update the software even though the bike was within the warranty period. Imagine buying a car and paying for warranty service because you couldn’t get to the purchasing dealer. Giant has handled the software and electronics as an afterthought. If your cell phone made great voice calls and nothing else worked reliably, nobody would say it’s nothing major. It’s 2020, software and hardware need to work together seamlessly. There is no excuse. I am very hopeful the update is a step in the right direction and am holding off full judgement until then. Generally, the bikes hardware is great. There is hope on the horizon. Giant has made great bikes for many years and I’ve always enthusiastically endorsed them to all my friends. I know they can do a great job at this. If they can solve the software they will have a great package. Maybe they will even add new features as well. Wouldnt it be nice to adjust your tire diameter like we could on computers back in 1985?

Wouldnt it be nice to adjust your tire diameter like we could on computers back in 1985?
That is impossible for legal reasons (possible abuse to relieve the speed restriction). Yes the dealer can do it because he is held responsible by Giant.

That is impossible for legal reasons (possible abuse to relieve the speed restriction). Yes the dealer can do it because he is held responsible by Giant.
Nope. I’ve asked a couple times since losing top speed after changing tires. If this is actually true, at least two dealers don’t know how which reinforces Giants lack of tech integration support.

As the new 2021 eBikes come to market people are browsing eBike forums looking for recommendations. Here's my recommendation to others looking at Giant eBikes. If you feel functioning software is an important component in eBikes then go elsewhere, check out other brands!. Giant simply not a likely candidate for you because their software is immature with minimal functionality. If that should change I will update this post but currently i say AVOID GIANT eBikes.
the new app is almost here, that argument won't make sense in 2 weeks. I was using my ebike for the last year, most of the rides the App didn't work ... but I was riding anyway, having fun and having a great experience. If someone depends of a software thing to ride a bike I think that person is in the wrong sport.😉

the new app is almost here, that argument won't make sense in 2 weeks. I was using my ebike for the last year, most of the rides the App didn't work ... but I was riding anyway, having fun and having a great experience. If someone depends of a software thing to ride a bike I think that person is in the wrong sport.😉
I would have to agree. I only use the app to check battery charge and many months ago to adjust my assist settings. i use Cyclemeter app on my iPhone for everything else.

But a functioning app from Giant that providers all of the details that other bike apps do would be a bonus i can still pedal the bike without any app. 😎

If there's a Giant Dealership close by I wouldn't be embarrassed to take a Giant eBike in for service. Even Walmart is doing sales online. A warrantee is by the company not by the LBS. It's the company Giant that pays for the work to be done.
The RC 2 would be a great app if it provided the bike's advanced diagnostics; that's all I want.

I would have to agree. I only use the app to check battery charge and many months ago to adjust my assist settings. i use Cyclemeter app on my iPhone for everything else.

But a functioning app from Giant that providers all of the details that other bike apps do would be a bonus i can still pedal the bike without any app. 😎
I guess I have higher expectations from manufacturers than Yetibos does. I expect functions to work as advertised.. When I order a steak medium and it comes burnt crisp, I'm upset. When I rent a car with an automatic transmission and it come with a manual, I'm upset. When I pay for shot of bourbon and get a beer I don't shrug my shoulders and sigh 'oh, well.' What I'm saying is I don't like to be lied to, others can be as passive and undemanding as they want but that's not me..

I guess I have higher expectations from manufacturers than Yetibos does. I expect functions to work as advertised.. When I order a steak medium and it comes burnt crisp, I'm upset. When I rent a car with an automatic transmission and it come with a manual, I'm upset. When I pay for shot of bourbon and get a beer I don't shrug my shoulders and sigh 'oh, well.' What I'm saying is I don't like to be lied to, others can be as passive and undemanding as they want but that's not me..
I have to re-iterate on what I am frequently saying: E-bikes still are a new technology. Specialized had been delivering all MY2017 through MY2019 Vado and Como models with BLOKS display that didn't work as advertised at all! No smartphone connectivity, the display hanging the motor frequently and so on. The whole fleet of Vado/Como was spoilt with the BLOKS because Spesh did exactly the same mistake as Giant: Choose a technology from a startup. Specialized offered a very expensive programme of free upgrade of all BLOKS display to the newer, perfect TCD-W to all Vado and Como owners. To replace a single display meant dismantling half of the bike by the LBS. Yet, Specialized have been able to make their promises come through however long it took. Just fancy how you would have felt if you were to ride for two years with a bad, troublesome display.

Giant hardware is healthy, in a good shape. The only missing thing is a good smartphone app but it is just an app that will eventually be delivered. It is not worthwhile to dramatise.

That's a sad story about Specialized but the big takeaway is that they went thru extortionary efforts to make thing right. . A new RideControl app may not be backward compatible at all but you can pretty much guarantee it won't be as fully functional without the brand new RideControl EGO controller. I have a attic full of computers components, smart phones, HDTVs with perfectly working hardware. Can't sell them, can't give them away because they have become obsolete. Yes Giant eBikes are great, so long as you don't bother to turn them on.

Why do you believe RC 2.0 wouldn't be backwards compatible? Judging by screenshots it will be, and the wireless Giant control unit is display independent. I am sure of that as I have downgraded Ride Control ONE to EVO and it worked, including AUTO ride mode.

If everything is the same then why did Giant change the sending unit? As I mentioned earlier it's more than just to improve waterproofing. It appears to me that the ANT+/BLE specifications changed slightly in Giant's 2020 RideControl One and in 2021 RideControl EGO sending units..
That's why many 2019 Giant eBikes needed to go to LBS for flash updates.
I hope I'm wrong about Giant. I be happy if the bike worked like the day I bought it. . Software updates have degraded my riding experience since then and I'm not a big fan of chasing vaporware. When technology improves obsolete devices get left behind.

is hard to compare like that...without any app the bike work properly, I can enjoy and ride, have fun like it was 10 or 20 years ago. An app is not needed, is what I'm saying. I like the app, is useful, but not necessary for ride the bike. What kind of function do you expect from the app? it doesn't give you a better ride, better braking performance or whatever...is just about to have more info.

Agree with you, if the bike announce an app it must work...but I also understand how difficult is the software developing. And you can be sure the new app works with 2019 bikes.

Screenshot_20201014-131303~2.png

That’s exactly the issue I had. I couldn’t update via the app as advertised. I moved and am not near the dealer I bought from. The local dealer charged me to update the software even though the bike was within the warranty period. Imagine buying a car and paying for warranty service because you couldn’t get to the purchasing dealer. Giant has handled the software and electronics as an afterthought. It’s 2020, software and hardware need to work together seamlessly. There is no excuse. I am very hopeful the update is a step in the right direction and am holding off full judgement until then. Generally, the bikes hardware is great. There is hope on the horizon.
My issue is resolved. I drove a hour back to Giant store Bristol yesterday. The bike went straight onto the stand in the service area and 20 minutes later it had received 2 software updates and a firmware update. Very pleasant service guys who had me on my way again within thirty minutes total.
they did advise not to use the current app, stating it was a bit flaky and prone to glitches. they were aware of the new app coming, but not the detail of it; in fact I think I knew more than they did after reading the Giant Germany pages.

whether these updates should have been completed prior to my collection 12 days ago is debatable, but its sorted now and I can get on enjoying the bike and maybe more so when the new app arrives.

We're all waiting! Honestly, what I need from the new app are: Battery Charge Cycles, Battery Health, and Rider's Power. All other parameters are available in my EVO display. I understand, however, the new RC 2 will be very important to all people using the Ride Control ONE remote.

Yet another example of Giant's appalling inexperience and unprofessional behavior in software development. While Giant dragged if feet with delays they point their fingers at Google and Apple as the problem because it's not available today. No Giant the reason why we still haven't seen RideControl 2 is that you didn't made it a priority. You are accountable not Google/Apple.
od, @pmcdonald!

Giant should have sent notice to every dealer to update every bike in their inventory. There’s no excuse to have to take a new bike into a dealer during a pandemic.

Back