New Allant 9.9s Display and Controller

First Light

A service tech at my LBS told me that the new (ie this years) 9.9s's have a new display and controller that replaces the COBI smartphone hub, but I can not find anything about it on here or anyplace on the web - he said it is retro installable on existing 9.9s's. Does anyone know anything about this?

A service tech at my LBS told me that the new (ie this years) 9.9s's have a new display and controller that replaces the COBI smartphone hub, but I can not find anything about it on here or anyplace on the web - he said it is retro installable on existing 9.9s's. Does anyone know anything about this?
it can only be a nyon or a kiox thats all there is.

I just replaced/dumped the smartphone hub on my 8s. Easy job, took about 30 minutes of working very slowly. Big improvement, especially the peace of mind in knowing that I'm not going to lose my smartphone when I hit a bump. The ability to customize to a limited extent is good too. What actually pushed me over the edge, so to speak, was the most recent "update" to cobi.bike which actually took away functionality, believe it or not. The "update" took away reporting of power and heart rate to Strava. Bosch tech support just said "reinstall" and would not confirm or refute the problem in their own hands. OTOH, I reproduced the problem myself with two different android phones.
I wish a solid, reliable manufacturer like Trek would pay more attention to its frustrated customers in its choice of OEM components like ebike displays. Yes, there are satisfied customers like my spouse who doesn't even use a smartphone on her 8s, just the built in display. But the rest of us? It would also be nice if Trek realized that some things on cobi.bike are totally useless to US customers, like Rydies! And you can't even get rid of it,

I just replaced/dumped the smartphone hub on my 8s. Easy job, took about 30 minutes of working very slowly. Big improvement, especially the peace of mind in knowing that I'm not going to lose my smartphone when I hit a bump. The ability to customize to a limited extent is good too. What actually pushed me over the edge, so to speak, was the most recent "update" to cobi.bike which actually took away functionality, believe it or not. The "update" took away reporting of power and heart rate to Strava. Bosch tech support just said "reinstall" and would not confirm or refute the problem in their own hands. OTOH, I reproduced the problem myself with two different android phones.
I wish a solid, reliable manufacturer like Trek would pay more attention to its frustrated customers in its choice of OEM components like ebike displays. Yes, there are satisfied customers like my spouse who doesn't even use a smartphone on her 8s, just the built in display. But the rest of us? It would also be nice if Trek realized that some things on cobi.bike are totally useless to US customers, like Rydies! And you can't even get rid of it,
Are there any threads on DIY replacement of our smartphone hubs on our Allants? I'd like to replace mine but want to be sure I purchase the right parts, and what the differences are between Nyon and Kiox (I'm assuming one of those is what you went with).

If you're in the USA you can order all you need in a kit. You just need the mount and the display for a nyon swap.

Some pics of comparisons would be great - smartphone hub *installed* on bike vs nyon *installed* on the same bike. I'm digging for deets. I dislike the smartphone hub.

Some pics of comparisons would be great - smartphone hub *installed* on bike vs nyon *installed* on the same bike. I'm digging for deets. I dislike the smartphone hub.
Really? Why? Last thing I wanted to do was take a picture of my smartphone hub when I was dumping it.

Yea - I was going to change it out on my 9.9, but was disappointed in the small size of the display.
Nyon is not perfect. You alone can decide what compromises you're willing to make. I find that, while the Nyon display is smaller, the screen can actually display much more information that's more readily accessible than cobi.bike ever did, and in ways that are much more useful too.

plenty with the smartphone hub from trek and the net.
IMG_4336.jpeg

Back