New activities taken up during COVID-19

Like this:

moravian_overall_img_3548.jpg

Except, I'm using the lamination technique, where the legs, stretchers and top are laminated from Baltic birch ply, following Paul Sellers:
IMG_20190117_172323-1.jpg

I bought the wood a year ago - to save money over the cost of heavy timber. Now, the bench is practically worth its weight in gold...

Fun thread. My COVID projects include a hydroponic garden, a new dining table for the RV, and I took up baking again. I used to be a professional baker, around the late '70s and early '80s. Doing it for fun is, well, more fun. Haven't bought bread in over a year. Oh, and learning a new instrument. In fact, all sorts of things EXCEPT riding my e-bike, which I do NOT have yet. Paid for it 8 months ago.
Great stuff. Woodworking, gardening and baking I can’t think of any more useful hobbies!

The table is beautifully done. Is it cherry? I have also been woodworking (finished painting my carved pub sign) and baking bread during the pandemic. Both rewarding exercises! But I didn’t build my own bench… just added twin screw end vice, Tucker vice, rear tray and shelf under.
What types of bread have you been making? I have landed on a very simple sandwich loft. It’s tasty and the kids like it better than store bought . I don’t think we will ever go
E3BF2234-C47E-4EA0-996B-068660F872CE.jpeg

What types of bread have you been making? I have landed on a very simple sandwich loft. It’s tasty and the kids like it better than store bought . I don’t think we will ever goView attachment 92200
Looks lovely Buckdubay! I have been making either a farmer’s white bread or 25% whole wheat… either way, just flour, water, salt and yeast (Jim Lahey, New York baker’s famous no-knead recipe). In addition I have been making smaller loaves of raisin walnut bread with the above ingredients plus honey, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, but haven’t been using it for Jim’s no-knead recipe.

Attachments

• 702479D6-BBB1-411F-93DB-BE2667B48E9D.jpeg
    702479D6-BBB1-411F-93DB-BE2667B48E9D.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 2554416D-4418-4FE0-B957-E9B84AEED2B8.jpeg
    2554416D-4418-4FE0-B957-E9B84AEED2B8.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I do cheat a bit with my bread. My bread machine makes the dough, all I have to do is activate the yeast and baby sit the dough for the 1st 5 minutes of dough cycle. 1 and 1/2 hours later pop it in a bread pan and bake. When all 3 boys are home it’s a loaf a day. Bread machine gets a workout.

I do cheat a bit with my bread. My bread machine makes the dough, all I have to do is activate the yeast and baby sit the dough for the 1st 5 minutes of dough cycle. 1 and 1/2 hours later pop it in a bread pan and bake. When all 3 boys are home it’s a loaf a day. Bread machine gets a workout.
Same here. Bread machine does the kneading.

I like doing things the hard way, so I buy wheat berries and grind my own flour. The flavor improvement is huge. Some items (the non-bread items are made with commercial flour, except for the pizza).

Baguettes, Bastilla, a couple of loaves, canneles, a fresh fig tart, a pear and ginger tart, deep-dish pizza, popovers, fresh strawberry pie, a variety of rustic breads, and a whole wheat sandwich loaf.

Attachments

• Baguettes02.jpg
    Baguettes02.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Bastilla01.jpg
    Bastilla01.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Batard02.jpg
    Batard02.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Batard04.jpg
    Batard04.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Cannele05.jpg
    Cannele05.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 162
  • FreshFigTart03.jpg
    FreshFigTart03.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 154
  • PearTart01.jpg
    PearTart01.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Pizza01.jpg
    Pizza01.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Popovers02.jpg
    Popovers02.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 148
  • StrawberryPie01.jpg
    StrawberryPie01.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 144
  • WholeGrainBoule01.jpg
    WholeGrainBoule01.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 157
  • WholeGrainBoule04.jpg
    WholeGrainBoule04.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 146
  • WholeGrainBoule07.jpg
    WholeGrainBoule07.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 145
  • WholeGrainBoule09.jpg
    WholeGrainBoule09.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 157
  • WholeGrainSandwichLoaf01.jpg
    WholeGrainSandwichLoaf01.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 147
I like doing things the hard way, so I buy wheat berries and grind my own flour. The flavor improvement is huge. Some items (the non-bread items are made with commercial flour, except for the pizza).

Baguettes, Bastilla, a couple of loaves, canneles, a fresh fig tart, a pear and ginger tart, deep-dish pizza, popovers, fresh strawberry pie, a variety of rustic breads, and a whole wheat sandwich loaf.
Awesome!!!

My carb senses are tingling 🤤 Wood and freshly baked bread are two of my favorite smells, I swear I smelled this thread through the screen! You're all so talented! I wish I'd gotten into working with wood back when I had the space.

I somehow picked up an obsessive nonogram habit during the pandemic. I also received my first musical instrument, a kalimba, and I can almost play Happy Birthday. I mostly stuck by my old standby, drawing, just because it's hard to do too much in an apartment with multiple people. Some of my other favorite pastimes are sewing (mainly quilts) and dyeing fabric and yarn, but I've been moving my stuff around so it's all put away and I don't have any pics. Here's pic of a random stromboli I made though 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20210323_085920.jpg
    IMG_20210323_085920.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 145
This is easily the simplest, best bread recipe out there… I use variations on it 3 or 4 times a week… no bread machine, stand mixer or kneading required.

This is easily the simplest, best bread recipe out there… I use variations on it 3 or 4 times a week… no bread machine, stand mixer or kneading required.
Looks deelish, but I'm more of a set it and forget it guy!

Oh man, look where this thread is going! My wife has always enjoyed baking bread, but since Covid I think she has her own shipping dock over at King Arthur Baking next door in Vermont. Our house always smells incredible.

This one is a Parmesan and nutritional yeast concoction with garlic olive oil (she tells me)

1625527518088.jpeg

And my very favorite, a Babka also from our friends at King Arthur

1625527600738.jpeg

Of course the only actual trip out that we took for damn near a year was over to King Arthur in the spring for lunch and a wander through their amazing store and HQ.

Try the Lahey recipe. It's easy. No mixer required. Get a dough whisk and a big bowl, then have fun. The no-knead breads are typically quite wet, but a high-hydration dough is easy to work when you're simply stretching with a wet hand, rather than kneading. This is a dough whisk:
Dutch-whisk-we-tried-scaled.jpg

The main thing that makes it hard to learn bread baking is that a cup of flour is an imprecise measurement. My cup and your cup can differ by a lot, depending upon how packed the flour is. The secret is to go by weight.

Here is my favorite bread recipe. It uses a poolish (a very wet pre-ferment that adds a LOT of flavor). It bakes in a Dutch oven, which keeps the steam in and gives it a really nice crust. I usually use a baking steel, but the Dutch oven method is easy and more people can do it.

Poolish
150g room temp water
small pinch yeast
150g bread flour or all-purpose (AP) flour

Stir, leave on counter overnight or up to 24 hours

The next day:
Dough
280g warm water (98F)
2g yeast
All the poolish

Mix the water and yeast in a large bowl, then add the poolish and stir to break it up.

Add 350g flour
50g whole wheat flour
10g salt

Stir with dough whisk or sturdy metal spoon. When that gets too hard, use wet hand and squeeze/rotate to mix 60-90 seconds. The dough does not have to be developed (that is, no window-pane or long kneading), just get everything thoroughly mixed.

Cover with plastic, rest 30 minutes

Tuck and fold with very wet hand, 10 times. To do a tuck-and-fold, wet your hand, then slip it under the dough lump on one side, lift the dough, stretching it out, and fold it over on itself. Then pick it up multiple times, rotating 90 degrees and stretching the top. The idea is to form a ball.

Rest 30 minutes covered

Repeat tuck and fold, form ball again.

Cover, rest 1 hour

On floured surface, lay the dough out and lightly flatten it. Fold edge of dough to center, working around it until all edges are pulled to center. This stretches and tightens the dough. Next grab opposing sides and pull two at once to the center, criss-cross.

Rotate the dough to firm it up, then place seam up in a round proofing basket. This involves holding the ball in two hands, and rotate it while pressing your hands under the dough. This stretches the top and makes a pretty ball. You want the stretch so that the dough has some strength. If you don't have a basket, use a bowl coated with flour.

Rest 30-50 minutes.

Preheat a Dutch oven at least 30 minutes at 500

Take a piece of parchment paper and place over the bowl, then invert the bowl to put the loaf on the parchment. Slash the top of the loaf. Using the edges of the parchment as handles, lower the dough into the Dutch oven. Be careful, it's really hot.

Turn oven down to 485, bake 18 minutes covered, 25-35 uncovered. Go for a deep dark crust.
200-210 internal temp

Let it cool - the hardest part. Enjoy. I have made this with varying percentages of whole wheat flour, up to 100%.

California has just recorded the 1st west nile virus death in ages. I have become very proficient at killing
mosquitoes. Just an FYI, West Nile, hanta, & zika all look much like covid under a microscope, spherical
with little knobs.

Back