New 2019 RipCurrent 52V ebike is out. Anyone has a review on it?

I just received my wife's new Juiced RipCurrent S three days ago. I ordered it and a HyperFat 1100 for myself. I ordered the bikes on 10/25, and received the RipCurrent the next day as it was in their Washington warehouse. My tracking number on the HyperFat states it will be delivered (tomorrow) 10/29.
The RPS (Rip Current S) went together easily, and there were no problems with the bike. Fine tuned it, rode it 15 miles, then set it up to fit my wife's specs and off she went! She loves it and so do I. I am a Marine Technician by trade so I do have a deep background in/on such things electrical and mechanical. I've also spent my entire drivers licensed life fooling with motorcycles and 4 wheeled vehicles. So, maybe this helped in setting up the bike. That stated, there's not much to them. I live in Washington State, and did several hours of research and visited RadPower in Seattle and BlackMax Bikes in Silverdale. After a physical inspection it was clear to me that the RadRover and the Black Max Extreme"Rover" are the same bikes. Not that this is a bad thing. I also did deep research into LunaCycles, Juiced Bikes, and a few more, including looking at their after sales service etc. For me, it meant buying Juiced Bikes. I hope I may be an asset to your forum. I'll re-post here after we have more miles on it.

I just received my wife's new Juiced RipCurrent S three days ago. I ordered it and a HyperFat 1100 for myself. I ordered the bikes on 10/25, and received the RipCurrent the next day as it was in their Washington warehouse. My tracking number on the HyperFat states it will be delivered (tomorrow) 10/29.
The RPS (Rip Current S) went together easily, and there were no problems with the bike. Fine tuned it, rode it 15 miles, then set it up to fit my wife's specs and off she went! She loves it and so do I. I am a Marine Technician by trade so I do have a deep background in/on such things electrical and mechanical. I've also spent my entire drivers licensed life fooling with motorcycles and 4 wheeled vehicles. So, maybe this helped in setting up the bike. That stated, there's not much to them. I live in Washington State, and did several hours of research and visited RadPower in Seattle and BlackMax Bikes in Silverdale. After a physical inspection it was clear to me that the RadRover and the Black Max Extreme"Rover" are the same bikes. Not that this is a bad thing. I also did deep research into LunaCycles, Juiced Bikes, and a few more, including looking at their after sales service etc. For me, it meant buying Juiced Bikes. I hope I may be an asset to your forum. I'll re-post here after we have more miles on it.
So what are the differences from the 2018 RipCurrent other than the battery going from 48V to 52V?

I own both the RCS and HyperFat 1100. I’m cutious if your new RCS has a PAS setting of 0? Mine doesn’t, so I always must use some pedal assist, or turn the battery off. I think they plan to correct that. Your HF will have a PAS if 0.

Check the web site. It has all of their fat bikes compared side by side. The RP has a max PAS of 20 mph, no fender or rack, higher riser bar and a different saddle for a more upright sitting position. Also, it only comes in one size, which is their medium frame. I personally prefer the look of the medium frame as the top bar is straight. I plan on purchasing a Rip Current S, but more than likely will modify it to have that upright sitting position with the riser bar and possibly a Brooks B67 saddle and suspension post.

I own both the RCS and HyperFat 1100. I’m cutious if your new RCS has a PAS setting of 0? Mine doesn’t, so I always must use some pedal assist, or turn the battery off. I think they plan to correct that. Your HF will have a PAS if 0.
Having programmed a Bafang controller on my Surface604 Rook to have full throttle on all PAS levels but PAS0, I can tell you that it is very easy to do and you only need a Bafang programming cable from Luna Cycles for $20. The windows software is available free.
So if you want PAS0 and your LCD display does not even have a PAS 0 (I bet it does but you have to get to the secret menu of your LCD display to enable it), you can program your PAS 1 to be equivalent of PAS 0. It is very simple and easy.
Someone else asked me via pm for something similar (having full throttle on every PAS but PAS 0) but the links below are valid for anyone wanting to change things on their Bafang ebike:

Get yourself a Bafang Programming Cable from Luna Cycles https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-parts/bbshd-parts/bafang-bbs02-and-bbshd-programming-cable/
Read 2 or 3 times and make sure you understand and follow all the instructions from here: http://wiseinnovationtechnologies.com/programming-your-bafang-motor/
Download and install the BBSxx USB Driver: CH341SER
Download and install the Windows BBSxx Configuration (programming) software: BafangConfigTool
Disconnect the cable that goes from the battery and controller to the LCD display and hook the USB Bafang programming cable green female end to the green male end you just disconnected from the bike (there is a key on the connector so make sure you plug it the right way. You won't have to push too hard to get them connected if they are correctly lined up.
Click CONNECT on the Windows software.
Click READ on every tab to read all the factory settings (we will save them so that if something goes wrong you can always revert the bike back to its original settings.
Click File->Save As.. and type some name for the factory settings (I used Rook_factory_settings)
Once that is done, any changes you make on each tab you can click WRITE and they would be written on the controller.
So, to change the throttle to max speed on every pass all you have to do is go to the Throttle Handle tab and change the "Designated Assist Level" field from "By Display's Command" to "9".
Click WRITE. And that's it!!
Now the throttle will provide full throttle on every PAS1-5 that you select.
Click DISCONNECT, close the software, unplug the programming cable, replug the LCD display cable, and you are all done.

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, and all these new acronyms I am going to have to learn, it does have “TO” (throttle only?) without PAS.

Having programmed a Bafang controller on my Surface604 Rook to have full throttle on all PAS levels but PAS0, I can tell you that it is very easy to do and you only need a Bafang programming cable from Luna Cycles for $20. The windows software is available free.
So if you want PAS0 and your LCD display does not even have a PAS 0 (I bet it does but you have to get to the secret menu of your LCD display to enable it), you can program your PAS 1 to be equivalent of PAS 0. It is very simple and easy.
Someone else asked me via pm for something similar (having full throttle on every PAS but PAS 0) but the links below are valid for anyone wanting to change things on their Bafang ebike:

Get yourself a Bafang Programming Cable from Luna Cycles https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-parts/bbshd-parts/bafang-bbs02-and-bbshd-programming-cable/
Read 2 or 3 times and make sure you understand and follow all the instructions from here: http://wiseinnovationtechnologies.com/programming-your-bafang-motor/
Download and install the Windows BBSxx Configuration (programming) software: BafangConfigTool
Disconnect the cable that goes from the battery and controller to the LCD display and hook the USB Bafang programming cable green female end to the green male end you just disconnected from the bike (there is a key on the connector so make sure you plug it the right way. You won't have to push too hard to get them connected if they are correctly lined up.
Click READ on every tab to read all the factory settings (we will save them so that if something goes wrong you can always revert the bike back to its original settings.
Click File->Save As.. and type some name for the factory settings (I used Rook_factory_settings)
Once that is done, any changes you make on each tab you can click WRITE and they would be written on the controller.
So, to change the throttle to max speed on every pass all you have to do is go to the Throttle Handle tab and change the "Designated Assist Level" field from "By Display's Command" to "9".
Click DISCONNECT, close the software, unplug the programming cable, replug the LCD display cable, and you are all done.
Love you modern techy guys! As easy as setting distributor points with a matchbook! ?

Hey Tcombest, I re-read your question and I guess I did not understand it. But I do now. I'll check tomorrow to see if the bike can be -peddled without any PAS with the battery on.

I think the pins on the display wire are different than the connectors on the plug. The Juiced display cable is 5 pins but in a shape of a 5 on a dice ( one pin in top left, bottom let, top right, bottom right, and center)

I THINK the wire there might be the 5 pin connector that is more rounded in the pin placement. If that makes any sense, I don't know the proper terms.

I think the pins on the display wire are different than the connectors on the plug. The Juiced display cable is 5 pins but in a shape of a 5 on a dice ( one pin in top left, bottom let, top right, bottom right, and center)

I THINK the wire there might be the 5 pin connector that is more rounded in the pin placement. If that makes any sense, I don't know the proper terms.
This is what the connectors of the Bafang programming cable look like (picture 1 with the USB other end). Since I don't have a juiced bike, the LCD display should have 2 cables coming out. One for the controller and one for the throttle. The picture 1 below is the female connector end. When you disconnect the cable from the LCD display it should have a male part like the green one in the 2nd picture (the one that has 4 connectors 3 yellow and a green). Maybe if you take a picture of the juiced bike LCD display connector I can help more. In any case, even if they don't have the exact same connector, they certainly have 5 pins and since they use a bafang motor those signals should be the same. So in the extreme case we'll just need a connector adapter. But just post a picture so that I'll know what you are talking about.

Attachments

• bafang-bbs-programming-cable-usbmatching-wires.jpg
    bafang-bbs-programming-cable-usbmatching-wires.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 727
  • BBS-EB1T4.jpg
    BBS-EB1T4.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
How are you liking the HF1100? I am waiting for reviews to come out before getting one myself...

Great info thank you

Azoldtech, I ordered my programming cable. Thanks for the info. I might holler if I have questions, but it looks pretty straight forward.

Azoldtech, I ordered my programming cable. Thanks for the info. I might holler if I have questions, but it looks pretty straight forward.

Take a peek at the connector from your bike and compare the pins to the one thats on the programming cable. They're not the same orientation.

IMG_20181112_091851579.jpg

This is what the connectors of the Bafang programming cable look like (picture 1 with the USB other end). Since I don't have a juiced bike, the LCD display should have 2 cables coming out. One for the controller and one for the throttle. The picture 1 below is the female connector end. When you disconnect the cable from the LCD display it should have a male part like the green one in the 2nd picture (the one that has 4 connectors 3 yellow and a green). Maybe if you take a picture of the juiced bike LCD display connector I can help more. In any case, even if they don't have the exact same connector, they certainly have 5 pins and since they use a bafang motor those signals should be the same. So in the extreme case we'll just need a connector adapter. But just post a picture so that I'll know what you are talking about.

IMG_20181112_091851579.jpg

Show me a picture of the female part (the other end than the one you are holding) of that connector to make sure it goes to the LCD display and not something else. By the way, that 5 pin connector is still a Bafang connector that combines many of the signals you need. I just never seen it on an LCD display that's why I need to make sure that is connected to the LCD display and ONLY the LCD display. Thanks.

Show me a picture of the female part (the other end than the one you are holding) of that connector to make sure it goes to the LCD display and not something else. By the way, that 5 pin connector is still a Bafang connector that combines many of the signals you need. I just never seen it on an LCD display that's why I need to make sure that is connected to the LCD display and ONLY the LCD display. Thanks.
this is the cable going to the LCD on the RCS. If you need a better pic ...

Attachments

• 9D265FC6-1EFE-427B-BB71-DDF4B2E0EFFC.png
    9D265FC6-1EFE-427B-BB71-DDF4B2E0EFFC.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 426
Back