Nevo GT Vario, HS or Roloff?

Tim M

Hi there, new member here. A bit of background: I bought an electric bike about 7 years ago, front drive hub type and enjoyed it. After a couple of years in storage I needed a new battery and some parts. Of course, the manufacturer had gone out of business, so lately I've commenced looking at other makes. I rode a couple of Peddigos which were nice, but then I rode a R&M GT Vario -- clearly the superior of the two brands (and priced accordingly). I maxed out speed assist wise pretty easily, and am now wondering: If I bought a Vario HS, could I maintain 25 mph or so without killing myself? And is the same bike with a Roloff 'better' for maintaining 25? Also, I've read a lot from folks who know a lot about electric assist bikes, and from what I gather maintaining speeds in excess of 20 mph takes quite a bit more effort due in no small part to the extra wind resistance at that extra speed. What do you guys think? As a point of reference, I'm 64, 205 lbs, fair shape, and I'll use the bike for mostly recreation and to attempt to get into better shape as well as lose 10-15 lbs or so. Also, do dealers discount the bikes at all if I was to order one? They ain't exactly cheap. Thanks for you thoughts!

Last edited:
I have been riding a normally-aspirated touring/trekking bicycle with a Rohloff + belt drive + hard suspension for seven years. I am thoroughly pleased with the Rohloff and I won't buy another bicycle without it. I am getting a new Riese & Müller Homage Rohloff GX (20mph). I test rode the Vario for a few hours and didn't care for it much. There's nothing wrong with it and a lot of posters here speak highly of it...it's just not for me. I like selecting a specific gear depending on conditions and the Rohloff has a wide gear range compared to the Vario. I opted for the lower speed Homage because of the restrictive bike laws where I live and I don't want to take a chance on being told where I couldn't ride. Otherwise, I would have gone for the faster model.

It's going to come down to your own personal preference. Spend a few hours on both Vario and Rohloff ebikes and see which one you like best. I can't comment on the Rohloff bike I have ordered because I don't have it yet. My local bike shop didn't have one for me to try, they only had the Homage Vario. I like the full suspension and I already know what the Rohloff is like so I am not worried about my choice.

Wind resistance will always be there so that shouldn't be an issue. When it is calm and you want to go fast, you need a strong top-end gear. On my current bicycle, I use gear 14 all the time on level ground and downhill. I can hit close to 30mph--I am not as strong as I once was. When the wind slows me down, so what.

You are making a good choice choosing R&M. I did a lot of research before deciding on the Homage and I am excitedly waiting for it to arrive (it is being built this week).

Hi there, new member here. A bit of background: I bought an electric bike about 7 years ago, front drive hub type and enjoyed it. After a couple of years in storage I needed a new battery and some parts. Of course, the manufacturer had gone out of business, so lately I've commenced looking at other makes. I rode a couple of Peddigos which were nice, but then I rode a R&M GT Vario -- clearly the superior of the two brands (and priced accordingly). I maxed out speed assist wise pretty easily, and am now wondering: If I bought a Vario HS, could I maintain 25 mph or so without killing myself? And is the same bike with a Roloff 'better' for maintaining 25? Also, I've read a lot from folks who know a lot about electric assist bikes, and from what I gather maintaining speeds in excess of 20 mph takes quite a bit more effort due in no small part to the extra wind resistance at that extra speed. What do you guys think? As a point of reference, I'm 64, 205 lbs, fair shape, and I'll use the bike for mostly recreation and to attempt to get into better shape as well as lose 10-15 lbs or so. Also, do dealers discount the bikes at all if I was to order one? They ain't exactly cheap. Thanks for you thoughts!
I've been test riding several R&M bikes recently after trading in my previous e-bike because it just wasn't working for me. As a result, I've been thinking long and hard about what kinds of things are important to me.

Regarding getting a 20mph vs. 28mph bike, I'll echo what my LBS told me — if you're even considering getting the HS model, go for it.

The beauty of a class 3 bike is that you'll regularly find yourself cruising at 21, 22, 23 mph instead of feeling like you're always butting up against a wall and getting stuck at 19.6, 19.8, 20.1 mph. And while it can take some effort to get up to 28+mph, it's great having the option of doing so if you really want. My LBS mentioned they have lots of customers who were on the fence and later regretted going with a 20mph bike. And once you've gone with a class 1 bike, your options to reach higher motor-assisted speeds are essentially limited to speed dongles which void your warranty and increase wear & tear on the bike.

(On a side note — if you do decide to get a HS model, I'd consider getting the dual battery option if available since higher speeds means you'll be using up your battery faster.)

As for the Nuvinci (Vario) vs. Rohloff drive systems, each has their advantages and it really depends on what's most important to you. If maintaining high speeds is what you're after, the Rohloff might be the better option since it has a larger gear range which leads to higher efficiency (e.g. you won't have to pedal as fast to maintain those higher speeds). However, having all those gearing options may be overkill for your particular situation. You'll also be paying for it in terms of additional cost and weight.

The Nuvinci hub, on the other hand, doesn't have as large of a gear range so you may find yourself pedaling a bit quicker (many folks say they wish it could reach a slightly higher gear ratio). That said, it offers very easy and fluid gear shifting, and you may find it to be perfect for your needs.

Finally, regarding discounts, I wager you'll probably be hard pressed to find a dealer offering anything significant. However, I know some dealers offer financing as well as price reductions on floor models, etc. My suggestion would be to take the time to figure out what matters most to you and buy the best e-bike you can reasonably afford without rushing into a purchase.

Hope that helps!

There are two reasons for me to buy a Rohloff:

1. Money does not matter and I want to have an efficient, closed system with the best gear range and low maintenance.
  2. Or you regulary have to deal with steep climbs and here I mean really steep. I am living in a midrange mountain area going up to 800m and so far I was able to handle anything with the Bosch CX and the Nuvinci, now Enviolo. But it is predictable that this combination has limits, when it comes to steepness.
With regards to top speed I believe they configure the rear sprocket differently for 20mph or 28mph, so it really boils down to if you need the gear range.

Cheers

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I'm going to go for the Vario. Not many steep hills where I'll be riding, so the Rohloff hub might be overkill for me. Not sure if I want/need the HS model. I'll have to go to my nearest dealer and see if he has any to test ride.

We sold our Nevo Nuvinci GH with Bosch CX and are buying an Homage Rohloff HS. The Nuvinci/vario is just not as efficient as the Rohloff...10% greater wattage loss in the transmission. As much as we ride, mostly 30+ mile touring, having the gear range, especially at the upper end, and the efficiency makes riding at 22-26mph on a sustained basis actually doable. I tried putting a delimiter on the Nevo but the power loss just made too much of a difference. The Vario is near ideal for in-city riding with lots of lights and stop signs as the smooth ramp up on acceleration with Nuvinci is second to none, just not so good for sustained speed riding. Make your choice based on the kind of riding you will be doing.

This question has been heavy on my mind recently, so I took a test ride of both--Enviolo on a Charger and Rohloff on a Nevo. In the end it is a pretty personal issue. I enjoyed clicky precision of the Rohloff immensely and I think it actually feels more efficient, if that is possible. There were two negatives. First, just dealing with all those gears seems like an unnecessary hassle compared to the idiot-proof enviolo--at least in city riding. The other factor is the Rohloff shifter. The buttons are wonderfully simple, but I found that reaching for them and pressing them was awkward--mostly because of some arthritis in my hand that may not affect you. You have to do a lot of shifting with all those gears, so it isn't a small issue.

The enviolo seems totally foreign after a lifetime of derailleur shifting. But, dang, it makes the experience so simple and fun. Considering the gigantic difference in price, I decided I needed to live the Vario lifestyle. At least for a while.

Back