Need some advice

Part of the answer to what ebike to buy lies in what you rode for motorcycles.
Not sure that would help as I have ridden many types, although my favorites were my YZ426f and my full-dress FLHX Harley Street Glide. Kind of on both sides of the spectrum.

I was thinking the same thing, two bikes. It looks like you are interested in what I call “hunting” bikes. They have a lot of power, big tires and are off road oriented. They are going to not be bad for road riding but to me they seem like more of an electric motorcycle and less for exercise.
I agree, but I will need to find a happy medium for now. I love riding off-road but only go hunting for a few weeks a year. I will be riding with my wife around town, parks, campgrounds, and such. So I am leaning toward a good hybrid. As time goes on and maybe after I retire and can spend more time in the woods and hunting I can look for a better hunting bike. The truth is, the hunting part will really be just scouting foresty and fire roads. I have a well-equipped Jeep that can take care of the rest.

Backfire, were you able to test ride any of the ebikes that interest you?
My standard suggestion for new ebike seekers is to test ride, even if the model is not exactly what you seek. Test rides help educate on the specific features that are available.
Congrats on your search for an ebike.
Couldn't agree more with the advice to test whenever possible.

We're pretty good at researching complex purchases, and I've had a lot of experience with unmotorized road and mountain bikes over the years. But none of that gave us a proper feel for the many complex trade-offs unique to ebikes.

Had we not tested 6 different ebikes in our price range ($2,000 to $3,000 each), I think we would have made some serious mistakes.

For example, we knew early on that many seemingly knowledgeable sources favored torque- over cadence-sensing PAS. But we had no idea what that really meant in the saddle. Torque-sensing PAS is apparently uncommon in our price range, but that check box shot straight to the top of the list as soon as we tried it.

That's just one example among many. Bottom line: Be prepared to be surprised by what ebike testing might reveal.

Good luck with your search!

Thank you Jeremy, I have decided that I really do need to test-drive before I buy. I have gotten back on my old mountain bike and realize that I may need to go with a step-thru. My leg just doesn't raise up like it used to. I will also have a rear rack and will have stuff on that as well which would make it even more challenging. And then there is my wife that really needs to decide what will work best for her as well. We may need to travel a bit as we have limited selections here.

I want to thank everyone here for your feedback and suggestions. This has been more of a process than I had expected, but I have learned a lot and will have a lot more knowledge when I do go look at them.

My pleasure. After 20 years away from cycling, I thought a low-step would be plenty low enough for me. Then I tried a step-through. Revolutionary!

Also, the endless (and oddly heated) debates over throttles had us totally confused -- especially since there are so many ebikes now with both PAS and a throttle, there to use as often or as little as you like. Testing quickly revealed that instant bursts of speed are quite handy -- e.g., in traffic or when suddenly caught in too high a gear. My throttle earns its keep for that alone.

Thank you Jeremy, I have decided that I really do need to test-drive before I buy. I have gotten back on my old mountain bike and realize that I may need to go with a step-thru. My leg just doesn't raise up like it used to. I will also have a rear rack and will have stuff on that as well which would make it even more challenging. And then there is my wife that really needs to decide what will work best for her as well. We may need to travel a bit as we have limited selections here.

I want to thank everyone here for your feedback and suggestions. This has been more of a process than I had expected, but I have learned a lot and will have a lot more knowledge when I do go look at them.
The Giant Momentum Vida offers a mid-step that is low cost to maintain, yet quality. I mean sturdy stuff, not race day stuff that is fragile and expensive. Here is a small/medium from last week. There is also a medium/large. The bike is $750. Then there is the opensource conversion to electric. It is like Wiki or Lynx. Not Apple. A replacement charger is at Staples or Target for $20 and not a dealer proprietary part for $265 that takes 3-months to arrive. You can do a premium conversion yourself or have a local pro do it, who stands behind the work. I am in Petaluma and have 43, 5-Star reviews on google maps. Happy to advisee for free. You can create the bike that is just for you. With no 800 number needed for service. Check out the Fat Boy conversion. With a trailer its a hunter. That bike hauls. The throttles are best when in the pedal, like a Tesla. Push and go with a responsive torque sensor. Better bikes have clean wires.

Attachments

• VidaMidstep3 (2).JPG
    VidaMidstep3 (2).JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 126
  • FatBoy4 (2).JPG
    FatBoy4 (2).JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 136
Not sure that would help as I have ridden many types, although my favorites were my YZ426f and my full-dress FLHX Harley Street Glide. Kind of on both sides of the spectrum.
part of what I meant by that is not only do some of the same companies have ebikes or have something do with the ebike industry. Also like any other industry there are the throw away brand and the real ones and stand outs

Barkfire,
A Step Through is a great Idea. I am trying to convince my wife to let me upgrade her from the Aventon Level Step-Thru to the Frey Bike Savannah CC. It's on sale right now.

Frey Savannah.jpg

$4,122
Rear Suspension
Mid Drive
Torque Sensing
Rear Rack
Fenders

I finally made a decision! It has taken a lot of time, research, and community input but I feel good about my decision. I decided on the Eunorau Specter ST for myself, and the Eunorau META275 Step Thru for my wife. We had an opportunity to do some test rides today at a local shop and when I got on the mid-drive 1000-watt bike with a torque sensor I realized what the hype was about. I have also rode the Himiway Zebra and it just did not compare. The META will be perfect for my wife. After she test rode some different styles she was sold on this style of bike, and it also has a torque sensor. We really wanted and planned on, buying from the local shop but with the sales going on right now I saved almost 2k by ordering them online, I was able to save on all the accessories and get the colors we wanted. I had the shop price them out for me and he just came in too high. I told him I wanted the Black and he said it was not available due to shipping issues but I was able to order one online. I own a local business and always try to support buying local and if it was just a few hundred dollars I would have but not with it being close to two grand. I know after talking with the owner he would not have been willing or able to match that price. Now it is all about the wait, they estimate delivery in 5-7 days so we will see. Thanks again to everyone that joined in and gave me their thoughts and ideas.

Shane

I finally made a decision! It has taken a lot of time, research, and community input but I feel good about my decision. I decided on the Eunorau Specter ST for myself, and the Eunorau META275 Step Thru for my wife. We had an opportunity to do some test rides today at a local shop and when I got on the mid-drive 1000-watt bike with a torque sensor I realized what the hype was about. I have also rode the Himiway Zebra and it just did not compare. The META will be perfect for my wife. After she test rode some different styles she was sold on this style of bike, and it also has a torque sensor. We really wanted and planned on, buying from the local shop but with the sales going on right now I saved almost 2k by ordering them online, I was able to save on all the accessories and get the colors we wanted. I had the shop price them out for me and he just came in too high. I told him I wanted the Black and he said it was not available due to shipping issues but I was able to order one online. I own a local business and always try to support buying local and if it was just a few hundred dollars I would have but not with it being close to two grand. I know after talking with the owner he would not have been willing or able to match that price. Now it is all about the wait, they estimate delivery in 5-7 days so we will see. Thanks again to everyone that joined in and gave me their thoughts and ideas.

Shane
Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures! Happy riding 😄!

Congrats on pulling the trigger. Torque sensing is a good call, glad you were able to sample torque sensing before you made your purchase.

Last edited:
I got the bikes yesterday and got them both assembled, everything went well. we took them for a ride last night and OMG I love these bikes. after riding ones with just the cadence, I am so glad I got both of these with the torque sensors. The bikes were packed really well and had no damage, but don't expect instructions on assembly because what they send sucks, not even the right components in the book for our bikes. It didn't matter anyway, it was all pretty simple. I only looked at the book at the end to see if I missed anything lol.

We did a quick 8-mile ride today to dial in our new bikes. My wife and I both are very happy with them. She has the 500 w motor and I have the 1000w but we easily ride together. I do take whatever chance I can to take an offroad path and I am very surprised how well this bike performs, the suspension is awesome! I look forward to more single tracks to really put it to the test. The support we are getting from Eunorau has been very good, quick to respond, and very helpful with my questions. I feel we made a really good choice with these bikes.

We did a quick 8-mile ride today to dial in our new bikes. My wife and I both are very happy with them. She has the 500 w motor and I have the 1000w but we easily ride together. I do take whatever chance I can to take an offroad path and I am very surprised how well this bike performs, the suspension is awesome! I look forward to more single tracks to really put it to the test. The support we are getting from Eunorau has been very good, quick to respond, and very helpful with my questions. I feel we made a really good choice with these bikes.
Good to hear!

So of course I got my first flat tire, I was expecting one sooner than later because we have a lot of goat heads and I have been doing single track right through them. What is the best tire armor? I have never been a big fan of slime but I have used it on my lawnmowers with success. What do you guys use?

I have used slime for two years. Works well under most conditions. I installed Tannus Armor on my Fat Bike (4" tires), and Tannus Armor on my Luna Z1 (3" tires). No flats since the install. Glad I don't have to deal with Goat Heads. Your best bet is to eventually go tubeless.

I like the Slime because it's so easy to find, and it works really well for my purposes (rarely ever get a flat), but I'm not dealing with goat heads regularly or anything like that!

In any case, running with NO protection is nuts. That's just inviting (daring?) a flat to ruin your day....

If you do get one on the back with a hub drive, CVT, IGH or whatever with cables leading to it, realize that IF the tube is pulled out of the side of the tire OPPOSITE the cables, that rear wheel can loosened and then be lifted up just far enough to swap out or repair the tube without disconnecting the cables. You don't need to have that whole assembly pulled completely off the bike! Once done a couple of times, you should be able to swap a tube in half an hour or less.....

Back