Need New Tires... Marathon -or- Marathon?

Cool, and thx. I need to think about this. Currently I have Rocket Rons. They are working really nice off road, but they are starting to show wear. I have had one flat so far. Since primary purpose is commute these look like they make sense.

town avoid confusion I suggest you use the ISO measurement, it will be written on your tire in addition to the 27.5.

Yours is two digits (the width) x 584

The Marathon Plus is available in 40x584 ... a nice commuter size if it isn't too wide (I think it may actually be a bit narrower if I remember your bike)

Go to Schwalbe site, look up Marathon Plus HS 440. (It is the 9th one down in attached pic)

Just another option for you, great flat resistance and rates well in rolling resistance. It is also rated e-bike 50 kph. Not good for technical off-road, but great for protection on single path as well.

Screenshot_2015-04-25-23-59-24.png

Last edited:
Yeah mine is 54x584. In looking at the chart (thanks BTW, I did go to the internet site but missed the 27.5 entry) it seems these tires are intend more for the commute side as they don't make them very wide.

Yes, more for pavement. My bike came with 57-622 and I ordered 47-622 M+ because I don't go off road that much, and when I do its a dirt path not a technical trail.

If you want to stick with MTB tires, then M+ is not for you.

Old post. Thanks Lenny,as I am looking it seems that I should have room in the back of my 2015 evo 27.5 do you concure.

Old post. Thanks Lenny,as I am looking it seems that I should have room in the back of my 2015 evo 27.5 do you concure.

Did you measure both vertical and horizontal tolerances?
If you think there is enough room and you're mostly riding on paved surfaces or roads, Super Moto X is a superior choice for 650B.

Every time I get a flat I troll the internet trying to find a good deal on Marathon plus tires. I often put a pair in my cart and I am just too cheap to pull the trigger. I just can't seem to stomach $50 for a bicycle tire. I noticed my rear tire is now looking worn and I recently got a flat. I was thinking of ordering a set of Marathon Plus tires and stumbled across a good deal on Michelin Protek Plus Max Tires. I doubt they are as good, but they were only $15 a piece and I couldn't pass up that deal. I probably should have just bit the bullet and got the Marathons, but I just can't do it. I have a few questions

Anyone hear anything about the Michelins? I figure at that price they are worth a try. I LOVE my Michelin car tires!!

I have a collection of flat tubes in my garage. I have just tried to patch them, and THEY STILL LEAK. I find that REALLY frustrating! Any luck patching tubes?

My rear tire is worn, but my front is fine. Do people rotate tires like on cars? I don't know if I want a worn tire on the front though!

Hey @Vern

Michelin makes very good bicycle tires and the Protek MAX with 5mm protection could compete directly with M+. It's a marked improvement over the old Protek's 1mm protection. I've never seen the Max for less than $30.00 each and the MSRP is $50! Good buy, can you provide a link where you found them?

Tube patching is just a temporary fix meant to get you home or to a shop for a new tube. It's not a permanent repair, always replace a patched tube at your earliest convenience. The shops in my area often offer 3 tubes for the price of 2 and it never hurts to ask if they will do that.

Tire rotation is very important to get every penny out of your tires. I rotate my tires every month, but I ride more than 500 miles a month. In addition when one tire is worn out, it's best to replace tires in sets. The only time I will replace just one tire is if I severely damage one tire and the other tire is fairly new. Worn out means old and old and worn out means trouble. If both tires were installed at the same time and one is worn out, so is the other. Just save the one with a little tread for an emergency tire.

Good luck with your new rubber!
Every time I get a flat I troll the internet trying to find a good deal on Marathon plus tires. I often put a pair in my cart and I am just too cheap to pull the trigger. I just can't seem to stomach $50 for a bicycle tire. I noticed my rear tire is now looking worn and I recently got a flat. I was thinking of ordering a set of Marathon Plus tires and stumbled across a good deal on Michelin Protek Plus Max Tires. I doubt they are as good, but they were only $15 a piece and I couldn't pass up that deal. I probably should have just bit the bullet and got the Marathons, but I just can't do it. I have a few questions

Anyone hear anything about the Michelins? I figure at that price they are worth a try. I LOVE my Michelin car tires!!

I have a collection of flat tubes in my garage. I have just tried to patch them, and THEY STILL LEAK. I find that REALLY frustrating! Any luck patching tubes?

My rear tire is worn, but my front is fine. Do people rotate tires like on cars? I don't know if I want a worn tire on the front though!

Hey @Vern

Michelin makes very good bicycle tires and the Protek MAX with 5mm protection could compete directly with M+. It's a marked improvement over the old Protek's 1mm protection. I've never seen the Max for less than $30.00 each and the MSRP is $50! Good buy, can you provide a link where you found them?

Tube patching is just a temporary fix meant to get you home or to a shop for a new tube. It's not a permanent repair, always replace a patched tube at your earliest convenience. The shops in my area often offer 3 tubes for the price of 2 and it never hurts to ask if they will do that.

Tire rotation is very important to get every penny out of your tires. I rotate my tires every month, but I ride more than 500 miles a month. In addition when one tire is worn out, it's best to replace tires in sets. The only time I will replace just one tire is if I severely damage one tire and the other tire is fairly new. Worn out means old and old and worn out means trouble. If both tires were installed at the same time and one is worn out, so is the other. Just save the one with a little tread for an emergency tire.

Good luck with your new rubber!
Thanks for the info! I never thought of rotating bike tires. I will make a habit out of it now that I am biking so much more. The tires were a daily deal at biketiresdirect.com they are now 30 something. Even though my front are OK, I think I will just replace them both. I may experiment with standard tubes to see how well the tires protect them. I currently use REALLY thick thorn resistant tubes. I've been pretty lucky with them but I still have two in my garage with very small holes. The tubes were $20 do I was hoping a patch would be a permanent fix. I guess I am silly! I am willing to spend a fortunate on thorn resistant tubes, but $50 tires seem outrageous. Hopefully my bargain priced Michelin s serve me well.

Thanks for the info! I never thought of rotating bike tires. I will make a habit out of it now that I am biking so much more. The tires were a daily deal at biketiresdirect.com they are now 30 something. Even though my front are OK, I think I will just replace them both. I may experiment with standard tubes to see how well the tires protect them. I currently use REALLY thick thorn resistant tubes. I've been pretty lucky with them but I still have two in my garage with very small holes. The tubes were $20 do I was hoping a patch would be a permanent fix. I guess I am silly! I am willing to spend a fortunate on thorn resistant tubes, but $50 tires seem outrageous. Hopefully my bargain priced Michelin s serve me well.

I think those Michelins will allow you to use standard tubes, 5mm is really good protection. I'm using the standard Marathons with 3mm protection and I ditched the tire liners and I use standard $5 tubes.

I used to have monthly flats on my ebike. Now I used Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 puncture resistant tires, I haven't had a flat for two years. I don't use puncture resistant tire tubes or tire liners in combination with Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 puncture resistant tires. I just use Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 puncture resistant tires only.

Back