Need New Tires... Marathon -or- Marathon?

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Purchasing new tires this week and will be purchasing Schwalbe Marathon. The question is Marathon or Marathon Plus. I don't get all that many flats relative to the amount of riding I do and I don't have an extreme aversion to fixing the odd flat now and again. I also don't have an extreme aversion from saving myself from having to fix a flat!

I did install tire liners with studded tires for this past winter and didn't have a flat for 3000 miles! Luck? Planning? Who knows, gift horses and all that... When I changed tires back for spring I continued with the liners, but installed the front with the overlap a little off center and when I took the bike for a spin I had a significant wobble. I had to remove wheel, tire-tube-liner and reinstall all, which took care of the problem. Still, it wouldn't be bad to shed that extra weight along with the possible problem of the liners shifting with time and miles.

With all that in mind I'm purchasing new tires before they are an absolute necessity and they will be Marathons. I know there is a big affinity here on EBR-C for Schwalbe Marathon tires and the two I like are the Marathon HS 420 for $35.65 and Marathon Plus HS 440 for $52.55. Both are tough, puncture resistant with good grip, the 440 being a little tougher but heavier and more expensive.

Schwalbe Marathon link with quick comparison.

Wanted to get the community's experience and opinion, thanks.

Hi JR,

What Schwalbe says about the Plus is interesting:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/943

The ebike dealer in St. George rents on and off-road bikes and they had been getting a lot of flats. I've gotten a lot of flats (10+) on non-electric bikes down there, on paths. Anyway, they said they switched to some version of the Marathon and have not had a flat since. Which makes everyone happy, in a rental situation.

There's an interesting demo device that Schwalbe gives to bike shops. It's a little tray of tacks and you try to stick them through a piece of tire, a cutout of the tread and some sidewall. It's very convincing. My one gripe is that I don't know how far into the sidewall the protection extends.

I put liners in my ebike tires, but I was sorry I hadn't gone with the Marathons after seeing the demo. I went 13 months with no flats on the ebike, with the original tires (Prodeco X3). The rear tires were worn. I have some M+ for a hybrid.

@George S St. George, have you ever tried to ride through Snow Canyon? I see their website say non-motorized but that could be in reference to gasoline power. BTW I run cheap tires (WTB Beeline 2.2) with liners, 3 flats in 3,200 miles. -S

I rode a conventional mtb there about 10 years ago, inside the park on dirt. Every corner revealed a new postcard view! Also went into a lava tube, that got scary pretty fast all by myself. Thanks for the info. -S

Can't go wrong with a M+.
Actually I picked up interest in these tires after hearing from a guy who had toured 5000+ miles without a single flat.
I have also heard people getting flats on these but several people on bikeforums.net think it's a terrific one. So, I picked up Schwalbe Smart Sam plus for my e-MTB at 400 miles and haven't had a flat since (2300 miles).

I leaned toward the Marathon Plus, thanks guys;) I am a little surprised no one chose the Marathon Original 420 given price, but I'm ordering the M+.

@Shea N Encinitas I remember your original post about Beeline's and I know you put miles on them, but the tread pattern reminded me too much of the Conti Traffic's I had. On the trail I ride daily Conti's picked up too many very small, sharp granite stones that tended to sandblast my bottom bracket. So I need to go more aggressive like my winter tires or less aggressive like my road and hybrid bike tires. Thanks for the note though:)

Schwalbe Smart Sam

Impresssive flat protection!

A few questions: I live in Colorado, we have so many of those goatheads, have your tires been successful in fending them off? Also, are you using anything else like liners or heavy duty tubes or do you rely on just the tires for that level of flat protection?

Thanks!

Impresssive flat protection!

A few questions: I live in Colorado, we have so many of those goatheads, have your tires been successful in fending them off? Also, are you using anything else like liners or heavy duty tubes or do you rely on just the tires for that level of flat protection?

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

I have had good results so far without the liners. The tire is Smart Sam Plus with 3mm greenguard. The same compound used in Marathon originals. The M+ comes with a 5mm compound and slightly more robust casing.
More info here: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/tires.331/

I wound up going for the Marathons, not the Marathons:confused: I went with the original not the plus. After Ravi's posts (thanks) I got to thinking and reading (more), I don't get many flats so the 3mm over the 5mm will be very good for me. In every other respect the tires are the same. I do have one problem, it's 65F and sunny today and I planned a day around home because of the tire delivery, I want to ride!!! I'm ready to install the tires, where the L is that delivery?

I ordered the Marathon Plus today. 47-622. I'm also thinking about slimed tubes, lol!

I'm really adverse to flats, want to keep them to a minimum. too many goatheads around here!

Umm, so I'm confused on tire sizes. From what I can tell, I cannot get Marathon Plus for 27.5" Am I correct?

I've put more than 150 miles on my new tires this week on road, gravel and dirt both wet and dry. I very much like the tread, profile and size of contact patch. These tires have significantly reduced rolling resistance, very noticeably and increased range. A big statement to make, I know, but true! I'm able to pedal without any power far more than before.

I've put more than 150 miles on my new tires this week on road, gravel and dirt both wet and dry. I very much like the tread, profile and size of contact patch. These tires have significantly reduced rolling resistance, very noticeably and increased range. A big statement to make, I know, but true! I'm able to pedal without any power far more than before.
JR -- This is on the X3? I guess I'm not too surprised, given what came on the X3, the Traffics, but it is discouraging. The Traffics work fine on dirt and rock. I suppose I know from all the noise they make they are not efficient.

Amazon had some of the M+ sizes for around $45 yesterday.

JR -- This is on the X3? I guess I'm not too surprised, given what came on the X3, the Traffics, but it is discouraging. The Traffics work fine on dirt and rock. I suppose I know from all the noise they make they are not efficient.

Amazon had some of the M+ sizes for around $45 yesterday.
Yes George, X3 Conti Traffic. Traffic tires may well be a good casual improved trail tire but not an all-around tire. I also went down in size from the Conti 2.1 to Schwalbe 2 with smaller tread profile, feels very much like the 700x35 tires on another bike I ride.

Back