Need help picking first E-Bike

it does and so do some other bikes BUT it isn't safe w/any of them IMHO on stairs

Ok I've found some bikes I'm pretty interested in

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Has anyone ordered a bike from this Mostostrano store? I think I'm also considering the specialized turbo base model and maybe a diamondback.

Please let me know if there are any red flags with any of these bikes. I did see that the IZIP express has a 7 rating.

really don't think carry a 60 lbs electric bike is going to be something anyone wants to do. You can't power the bike up the stairs. Maybe it worked in Animal House....

Ya I will just throw it over my shoulder and carry it up. A lot of times when we go on family bike rides I carry two mountain bikes up at the same time. I have the option of locking it underneath the staircase but I'm not willing to do that.

Ok I've found some bikes I'm pretty interested in

Has anyone ordered a bike from this Mostostrano store? I think I'm also considering the specialized turbo base model and maybe a diamondback.

Please let me know if there are any red flags with any of these bikes. I did see that the IZIP express has a 7 rating.

The Express is a Monster with a Belt Drive. Definitely different than the rest of the IZIP line with a large capacity battery. It is a heavy bike though but nice components

The Dash is a popular model for commuting (28mph), if you are looking at Diamondback, the Trace EXC is the Diamondback equivalent to the Dash. Trace is a little lighter and uses tires a little more narrow than that of a Dash (They use the same motor). The Trace uses a Dash 2014 Screen and Button pad.

Misceo has a 20mph max using the Shimano STEPs system. Not a speed pedelec, does have the walk assist function that was mentioned earlier. The Misceo Sport is not out yet, although you can purchase the Misceo iE, both are very light bikes.

The guys at Motostrano are very knowledgable.

I currently have the Diamondbacks on special at the shop.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) is this the IE Sport Raleigh? It says it goes 28 mph online. I'm not familiar with the Shimano STEPs system is it reliable?

Here is the diamondback http://www.diamondback.com

Any suggestions on front fork suspension? Is that a critical component for a lot of ebike riders or are rigid frames bearable?

I'm trying to decide how important fenders, lights, and the the bike cargo tray are. I know I can get these things aftermarket and bolt them on or I can find a bike that already has it. I know the bike rack is essential to keep my back from getting sweaty from a backpack. I also would like the ease of having lights that I don't forget to turn off and drain the batteries on. Fenders are not the most important if I'm changing my clothes anyways but I may not have to now with an e bike. Just a bunch of random thoughts I have the

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) is this the IE Sport Raleigh? It says it goes 28 mph online. I'm not familiar with the Shimano STEPs system is it reliable?

Here is the diamondback http://www.diamondback.com

Any suggestions on front fork suspension? Is that a critical component for a lot of ebike riders or are rigid frames bearable?

I'm trying to decide how important fenders, lights, and the the bike cargo tray are. I know I can get these things aftermarket and bolt them on or I can find a bike that already has it. I know the bike rack is essential to keep my back from getting sweaty from a backpack. I also would like the ease of having lights that I don't forget to turn off and drain the batteries on. Fenders are not the most important if I'm changing my clothes anyways but I may not have to now with an e bike. Just a bunch of random thoughts I have the

@Logan Gogarty The Diamondback Trace is the exact bike I was referring to. Due to the additional weight of a hub motor, it's always nice to have a shock, as sometimes going over bumps can be a bit jarring, especially with 700c tires that tend to ride at a higher PSI (tire pressure). An additional $150 would get you outfitted with both front and rear quality fenders (SKS), a rack as well as some rechargeable lights that are very commuter friendly

The Misceo doesn't have a suspension because it's a lighter bike and rides very similar to a road bike. The Misceo iE is 43 lbs with battery and pedals. Shimano is still new to the eBike game. Their benefit is that their entire motor drive system is made by Shimano (motor, battery, chain, derailleur...) I haven't had one break down on me yet, but this is quite a different ride than the Dash/Trace EXC. Just to be very clear, the Shimano STEPs motors are NOT 28mph capable.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you may want to look at a 2016 Dash. The 2016 Dash now comes stock with Fenders, wired in lighting and a rack and now comes in a mid-drive configuration.

I'm at the IZIP Store in Santa Monica feel free to give me a shout if you want to talk it out.

There's some user comments about the Trace EXC in the Diamondback forum. I saw where one user thought a 500W direct drive motor didn't work so well on San Francisco hills, but they go fast on flats. I didn't see any comments about cogging, which is the magnet drag on a DD motor when it's not powered, so it must be negligible. That has kept me from looking at DD motors for my kit build.

When an e-bike has a 7-9 pound battery hanging on the downtube, a suspension is nice. This rider likes it too, when rolling off a curb. I own bikes with and without suspension. If I had road bikes with tires so thin they disappear if you look at them from the front, I might not want suspensions, but I like them.

http://www.juicedriders.com

This is apparently a 28 mph design for the new Cal regs. Good price. Known company.

George S,
Thanks for pointing this out. In my months of research I had zeroed in on the EVO cross, waiting to purchase a 2016 with 500w motor for $3100 or waiting for a sale on the 2015. The Cross Current actually looks to good to be true for the price. Buying local was a big deal for me but at this price point maybe I will risk it. Any experience with this company?

Very helpful information everyone, thank you very much. I'm debating between the Diamondback Trace, E-joe Koda, 2016 Protour IZip, and the 2016 Izip Dash and the Crosscurrent juiced bike. I just don't know if I can wait till December to purchase the crosscurrent but it looks like a great deal. I posted in the E-joe forum that I sent an email to them and they said you can change the settings to a max speed of 25 mph. I wonder if anyone has actually done that and reached those speeds on the e joe?

That 2015 KODA ejoebike seems like a great value.. It uses a small geared hub motor with a large samsung battery pack.

Since that motor seems to be built for speed, I'd wonder if it would have trouble climbing hills.

George S,
Thanks for pointing this out. In my months of research I had zeroed in on the EVO cross, waiting to purchase a 2016 with 500w motor for $3100 or waiting for a sale on the 2015. The Cross Current actually looks to good to be true for the price. Buying local was a big deal for me but at this price point maybe I will risk it. Any experience with this company?
Juiced Rider (JR) is a real company that has been known for a unique cargo bike. I was interested in the bike a couple of years ago, but it was just a little too industrial. Over time, they have tweaked the design and added larger batteries. I assume if they are committed to the Cross Current, they will be in it for the long haul. I would want the middle battery, which is more of a delay. There is a JR forum, and people buying the cargo bike have been engaged with the company. It's not a guy with a website and a storage locker with no real experience. Everyone is an importer, basically. There are high end bikes made in Germany, and Prodeco makes some frames in Florida, but that's about it.

The price is what I would call fair. There is a great builder on this forum, @flymeaway. I saw what he was doing with frames from Bikes Direct and I built a front hub ebike. I used an Adventure Elite from BD that was lying around. The parts are basically: $400 for the full bike, $300 for the motor and controller, $350 for the battery. They use a hydraulic disk, which is nice when you go over 20 mph. They also have a torque sensor, which is a more advanced assist. It's a nice frame with the integrated battery, but it's not a thousand dollar frame. It should hold up. So their wholesale price is leaving them with some margin. They could raise the price, if the bike succeeds.

Attachments

• jr.JPG
    jr.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 384
That 2015 KODA ejoebike seems like a great value.. It uses a small geared hub motor with a large samsung battery pack.

Since that motor seems to be built for speed, I'd wonder if it would have trouble climbing hills.
It was nominated for bike of the year. Looks quite solid.

So I went back to finish paying off my Turbo X and I thought I'd try out the Raleigh Tekoa 29er and the Izip Dash just to make sure I was getting the right bike. Riding on a mid drive was a fun experience as I could bunny hop and jump the curbs easier with better weight distribution. The Izip and the Tekoa also felt a lot faster than the turbo x. I was cruising easily at 30mph and with the turbo I was pushing hard and not breaking 26 mpg. Needless to say I did not come home with the X and I'm back to researching bikes. I would have walked out with the Tekoa but they failed to make a design that can have a pannier attach easily to the frame. I also would try and remove the throttle because it just gets in the way. The dash felt good but but the turbo and the dash seemed to have something rubbing in the bottom bracket at higher speeds and they were not as smooth as the tekoa. I also think that a Medium in the X was too small for me being 6'0." Now I want to test drive the E-joe Koda and have no where to do so. I would also like to try a 2016 dash since it has fenders and a pannier. Lots of choices! I would get the cross current but I don't want to wait until Juiced comes out with it which will probably not be till February.

Back