Need help deciding between Ride1Up 500 ST or a used 2008 Raleigh Redux ie with 250 Brose Motor mid drive

Brody

Region
USA
I have been doing alot of research on what bike to get, I test rode a 2018 Raleigh Redux mid drive no throttle ie with 250 W Brose motor with 1300 miles on it, supposedly kept inside, looks new. The reach was way too long for me, I have arthritis in my neck and need an upright position. We are considering getting it and putting swept back handlebars and a stem riser. The other bike I am looking at for same price is a 2021 Ride1Up 500 ST ($1400 with fenders and rack/ same price )with swept back handle bars, it is confusing as it says reach is 18inch but by pictures it looks smaller. It has a stem riser and suspension fork already. I live in Indiana with small probably tiny hills compared to many, but hope to take to parks and around country when I retire in a few years. I hear all different views, and I signed up to the Ride1up facebook riders and they love their bikes with very few issues, only a few issues with support.

Raleigh is no longer making electric bikes so my concern is the cost and availability in a few years down the road. I think both would be ok, but am looking for a recreational bike to keep up with my husband riding a non electric hybrid jamis probably 10 to 20 miles round trip. The key for me is to get exercise but a throttle is nice when I do need a boost on a hill or a quick catch up. When I used my sister's Champedal I rode in PAS 1 or 2 most of the time. I think it was a $1000 bike 3 years ago, with rear hub, PAS and throttle I liked the way it rode. They are no longer in business!

Any advice? I am leaning towards the Rideup 1 due to Raleigh being older, used and no longer being made.

Man, availability of bikes is so limited that I understand why folks are considering very bikes that are not similar at all, but some of these comparisons are hard to figure. These are very different bikes.

You're comparing a bike with no suspension (Raleigh) to one with suspension (Ride1Up) and a mid-drive with no throttle (Raleigh) to a rear hub!

On the one hand, if the Ride1Up fits better, it seems like the obvious choice-- as well as for the reasons you say. On the other, it's a much heavier bike (57 pounds) with far less torque (50 NM). If you are taking steep hills-- particularly with a rear hub-- that's going to be a problem. By way of comparison, I have a mid-drive 40NM bike that weights 46 pounds, and it can handle steep hills, but it's a workout!

IF the Raleigh has a cyclecomputer-- and I didn't dig that deep into the specs-- I would confirm the mileage and the number of cycles the battery had been through. I would also research the reliability of the Brose motor, and see if a local bike shop will service it. I'd also check out the battery-- see if you can source a replacement if needed. The Raleigh will be faster and handle hills better, which would appeal to me, BUT it has no suspension and you can't be sure that if you change the bars and add the stem riser that it will be more comfortable-- or that it will handle right. I've modded bikes and had it work out, but it's kind of a crapshoot.

The thing is, with the arthritis, I'd have to say a bike that's comfortable is probably a very important consideration. Ideally, I'd suggest you ride a few different bikes and try to find a different bike entirely-- something more like the Ride, but that had a bit more torque and possibly a mid-drive. The thing is, if you get into e-biking, you'll start wanting to go further and take more aggressive trails. I wouldn't worry too much about the throttle, though some people love them-- yes, it helps starting again from a stop, but proper shifting technique is really best for that-- gear down before you stop.

It's just a bit of an odd choice. Gun to my head? For Me: If everything checked out, and mileage and battery cycles were low, I'd try to get the seller down on the price of the Raleigh, and get a ShockStop suspension system (seatpost and stem). I have muscle and joint issues, and while suspension is designed to improve traction, and not ride, (generally) I find suspension is essential for comfort. I'd enjoy the Raleigh, though I don't know how safe it would be on the intermediate or intermediate advanced trails I sometimes ride-- or how comfortable.

For you, you might have to choose the Ride1 for comfort reasons. It may be totally fine for you, the real risk is that you'll be disappointed on steep hills, or that the weight will be a problem if you put it on a bike rack or have to lift it over obstacles or down stairs. I'd also check the Ride1 reviews here if you haven't already.

I'd consider something else if possible, and consider if you really need a Class III. You might find something within your budget that would work better, I doubt your husband is going to be going 28 MPH on flat ground. My Class II is absolutely as fast as I need it to be on flat terrain or going downhill-- in fact, going downhill, I'm really glad the bike handles so well, because the curves in our neighborhood are very demanding, you can't take them faster than 15-20 MPH anyway, and even at that speed, I have to really pay attention. I wouldn't know what to do with a Class III here, but your neighborhood may be very different-- sometimes people need to keep up with traffic, etc.

I don't see any issue with getting Brose parts for a long time. And the rest of the components are standard bicycle parts. But I see no sense in buying a bicycle that doesn't fit.

If you're the kind of person who follows rules, you need to consider that class 2 bikes (bikes with throttles) are prohibited on most bike trails and in many parks. Not saying I agree, but that's the reality.

That aside, I'd try to ride a few more bikes, especially mid drives (since you anticipate larger hills in the future), and get the most comfortable fit for your riding and physical needs.

Back