Need advice on Class 3, FS buying options. Bulls EVO 45 FS.

farnorth1

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and am very thankful to have found this forum.
I'm new to e-bikes but after renting a handful of them to try over the last 6 months or so, I'm now completely inspired for a purchase and wanted some advice.
The bike I'm seriously considering (but haven't been able to ride yet) is the Bulls E-Stream EVO 45 FS.

My question to you is, given I'm considering the Bulls E-Stream EVO 45 FS, what other bikes should I consider?
I'm guessing since it's likely there's much I don't know ...that I don't know, it's probable there are other bikes in the same category as the Bulls that I might check out.

Here are some of the parameters that lead me to this particular Bulls bike:
--It's Class 3. I like faster speeds ...I realize there are many practical reasons for not going the Class 3 route but I've found I enjoy this aspect.
--It has full suspension. At the higher speeds, I found having suspension really made a difference in comfort and my perception of safety.
--It's got lights built in. Yes, a minor thing, but I'm wanting as much as possible a "do it all" bike, something that will handle off road nicely but get around on the street as well and the integrated lighting (with an active brake light also) is nice.
--I like the Brose motor as my perception is it's a bit quieter than a Bosch.
--To me, the bike is stealthy as it doesn't scream e-bike in its appearance as many others do; it's got a minimalist, compact display and a battery that looks to blend well in to the frame.
--Big brakes and a big battery.
--There are two issues I'm unsure about. One is the lack of shift sensing with this bike. Seem like in this price range it should have it. I do well with easing off during my shifts but it still would be nice to have. The second is this bike seems a bit heavy; this is very minor concern but notice it weighs in more than most FS bikes that go fast.

So, any other potential candidates come to mind? While listing for $5200 I've seen the EVO 45 FS selling for $4800.
Also, I'm decent at tinkering/mechanics so could go with a kit. And while it may be different for e-bikes, from my experience in other areas of mechanic'ing I've often noticed by the time you've got built up what you want, frequently you've got as much $ into it as the purchase of the original product.

Thanks!

Haibike is still showing 2017 XDURO Full Seven S 7.0 in America for $3999.99. I'm a big Haibike fan, love the Bosch mid drive!
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Sounds like the EVO 45 FS fits your bill!

The only suggestion I'd have is to go to the EBR home page, click on the Categories menu, scroll down to "Class 3," and do some comparisons there.

I too like the Bulls FS 45, and have ridden one just bit. Very nice. I eventually opted to buy something else recently. I’ve got to believe that Bulls is working on an update to this bike that would use the Brose S motor. The current model is pushing 2-year’s old now. From my experience the FS 45 is in class by itself; I’ve not seen a similar bike from other brands.

Doesn't "Class 3" mean it has a throttle? I didn't think any Bulls models had throttles.

Doesn't "Class 3" mean it has a throttle? I didn't think any Bulls models had throttles.

You are right, the FS-45 does not have a throttle. It a peddle-assist speed pedelec with top motor-assisted speeds to 28mph. I believe it is this top speed that puts it into Class 3.

Apparently it can or can not mean "with throttle" according to this piece out of an ebike article.

Class 3: Speed Pedelec
The electric drive system on the ebike can be activated through a pedaling action to reach higher top speeds. In parts of Europe this class is also considered a motor vehicle and requires special licensing, the use of an identification plate at the rear of the bike may be required and use is limited to roads or private property only with a maximum speed ~28 mph (~45 kph). In America this class could still be considered a “low-speed electric bicycle” if human power propels the bike above 20 mph and as such, does not require special licensing but may be even more restricted to roads, adjacent bike lanes or on private property with a maximum speed ~28 mph (~45 kph) and motor wattage of <= 750 watts. In America this class is often combined with Class 2 which produces bikes that have a throttle element capable of powering the rider up to 20 mph (32 kph) on motor power only, as well as a pedal assist mechanism capable of powering the rider up to 28 mph (45 kph). In parts of Europe, where throttles are less common, most Class 3 electric bikes only offer pedal assist.

Thanks for the comments. I road a couple other bikes recently and am making progress on selection.
Rich --I'll check out the 2017 XDURO Full Seven S 7.0 ...but think I want a Class 3. I'll take a look though.
Bruce --good idea and I've been doing just that.

The parameters for choosing are shifting slightly as I go forward.
I road a hard tail mountain bike (Pedego Elevate) yesterday at some higher speeds and have decided I don't absolutely have to have rear suspension. Front suspension only is adequate so this should open up a few more possibilities.

The Elevate was nice. However another attribute I've discovered I want is a throttle and the Elevate (along with many other mid-drive mountain bikes) doesn't have one. What this tells me is I'm not the primarily mountain biker oriented rider that might insist on mid drive only ...that I'd be happy with a bike that got around "OK" on the trails while not being a "dedicated" mountain bike.
Just prior to riding the Elevate I rode a Pedego Ridge Rider which has a throttle and this was where I realized with the kind of general riding I do, having a throttle is very nice.

Along these lines I also noticed the following on tire size: the Elevate had plus sized tires --2.8" in width-- for years I've ridden a old Trek mountain bike with 2" wide tires and this is what I like. I didn't like the plus sized tires.

So the slightly changed criteria for a e-bike is now:
--Class 3
--Throttle
--At least front suspension
--Slight orientation towards a mountain bike but don't need plus sized tires (let alone fat tires), just need something that'll get around well on the dirt. Doesn't have to be a purist mountain bike that a dedicated mountain biker might want.

One bike that's caught my eye a little is the Surface 604 Shred.
Any new suggestions?
Thanks again!

Thanks for the comments. I road a couple other bikes recently and am making progress on selection.
Rich --I'll check out the 2017 XDURO Full Seven S 7.0 ...but think I want a Class 3. I'll take a look though.
Bruce --good idea and I've been doing just that.

The parameters for choosing are shifting slightly as I go forward.
I road a hard tail mountain bike (Pedego Elevate) yesterday at some higher speeds and have decided I don't absolutely have to have rear suspension. Front suspension only is adequate so this should open up a few more possibilities.

The Elevate was nice. However another attribute I've discovered I want is a throttle and the Elevate (along with many other mid-drive mountain bikes) doesn't have one. What this tells me is I'm not the primarily mountain biker oriented rider that might insist on mid drive only ...that I'd be happy with a bike that got around "OK" on the trails while not being a "dedicated" mountain bike.
Just prior to riding the Elevate I rode a Pedego Ridge Rider which has a throttle and this was where I realized with the kind of general riding I do, having a throttle is very nice.

Along these lines I also noticed the following on tire size: the Elevate had plus sized tires --2.8" in width-- for years I've ridden a old Trek mountain bike with 2" wide tires and this is what I like. I didn't like the plus sized tires.

So the slightly changed criteria for a e-bike is now:
--Class 3
--Throttle
--Slight orientation towards a mountain bike but don't need plus sized tires (let alone fat tires), just need something that'll get around well on the dirt. Doesn't have to be a purist mountain bike that a dedicated mountain biker might want.

Any new suggestions?
Thanks again!
The Haibike I mentioned is a class 3. The "S" indicates speed pedelec.

I like the Surface 604 bikes and have my eye on the Boar if I ever get a fat-tire bike. The Shred also has fat tires, so it seems it's outside of your parameters on that count.

Wow, there are so many bikes that fit your criteria. Maybe start with the ones that look right to you. Style is no way to make the ultimate choice, but who doesn't want a bike that looks good to them? You can do a very quick sort on style just by looking at photos in the Reviews section of EBR. Narrows it down some. Then, having picked a few, you can drill into components, capabilities, etc.

I'm often reluctant to recommend the bike I have, not because I'm not happy with it (I'm overjoyed), but because it's the only bike I know well enough to say much about. Someone like @Ravi Kempaiah, @Ann M., @Mikey- or @Chris Nolte who have experience with a lot of bikes is much more trustworthy in this regard. But since it is similar to what you are talking about, take a look at the Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S. I don't know about the MTBish qualities, never having been a MTBer, but I do ride it on grass and gravel sometimes and it is fine for that kind of thing. Class 3 with a throttle, 45mm tires, front suspension -- check it out. There have been problems with it, and you can read all about that, but as far as I can tell, most of us are happy campers. @Reid, @Chris Hammond, @john peck, @Asher, and some others.

Latest update as I try more bikes and the selection parameters continue to change.
Still want Class 3 but have decided I quite like the throttle only to 20mph option so my original potential of the Bulls EVO 45 FS is out.
To open up the field more (as many of the mountain bikes don't have throttle only operation), the list of must haves is:
--Class 3 with throttle only ability
--Doesn't have to be a dedicated mountain bike
--Big brakes
--Boost sized hubs a plus but not required
--Have also learned that I don't seem to like fat tired bikes and even tires close to 3" seem big ....so bikes with closer to 2.5" or even 2" tires preferable (this probably comes from years of riding a old Trek mountain bike with 2" tires so i could be behind the times on this criteria)

Any suggestions come to mind now?

Latest update as I try more bikes and the selection parameters continue to change.
Still want Class 3 but have decided I quite like the throttle only to 20mph option so my original potential of the Bulls EVO 45 FS is out.
To open up the field more (as many of the mountain bikes don't have throttle only operation), the list of must haves is:
--Class 3 with throttle only ability
--Doesn't have to be a dedicated mountain bike
--Big brakes
--Boost sized hubs a plus but not required
--Have also learned that I don't seem to like fat tired bikes and even tires close to 3" seem big ....so bikes with closer to 2.5" or even 2" tires preferable (this probably comes from years of riding a old Trek mountain bike with 2" tires so i could be behind the times on this criteria)

Any suggestions come to mind now?

farnorth-I am with you on tire width. I myself, also rode Trek mountain bikes for a long time with 1.75-2.00 width tires. I feel like the 3 inch width tires are too big and bulky and have more rolling resistance in general. The smaller width on a 29er size tire seems like a good candidate for me. Sounds like you will be leaning towards a 500 watt rear hub geared motor with throttle capability. The other advantage of a rear hub is, if you have a chain break, you can get moving using throttle only. Mid-drive would need repair on site.

Back